Sennheiser HD600 - Amp NOT a must!
Mar 13, 2002 at 11:58 PM Post #61 of 81
Originally posted by Pedxing

HD580 and the HD600 do sound different, but the difference is so subtle that it is hard to explain.

There are obvious audible differences with the classical music I listen to. For the HD600, the treble on the cymbals are razor fine, the tymphani presence is increased giving it a little oomph, to me the major point has to be the triangle, where the transient is noticable. I would prefer the vocals on the HD 580, where its center stage is on top on my head, instead of resting on it with the HD 600. Herein lies the pain - I have to switch betwwen them depending on the pieces I listen to which I hope I can adapt and retire the HD 580.

They are both good, but are different from my aspect ! Their sound are clean and clear (sterile would be a better word) but they lack drama and personality.

My laziness prevented me from switching the HD 600 earcups with the HD 580 and with a reduced tension of the HD 580 headband, it could result in a HD 700!! Anyone tried this?

Mar 14, 2002 at 12:09 AM Post #62 of 81
Quote:

Originally posted by Keiso
"1. Sampling error
2. They aren't exactly the same, right?
3. Now this might be beneath Sennheiser, but you can't reject the possibility that they'd give all the better manufactured drivers, drivers matching their specs most closely, to HD600's. That's supposed to be what Grado does with the SR60...325 line and what I'd do too if I were in charge of the company. But since I bought the 580... I'd just have to hope that they are more benevolent than I would be "

So based on your statements, I guess the HD 580 and the HD 600 do NOT sound the same then
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh crap. Everyone, just go for the HD 600 then, to be on the safe side that you really are getting the best
smily_headphones1.gif

Also, the graphs for Grado headphones at HeadRoom's website seem to be REALLY misleading. I mean, if I'm reading it correctly, judging by the graph, a high-end headphone like the Grado RS-1 looks really bright sounding, with a lot of focus on the higher freq.

Also, they say that the HD 590 are " Presenting a bright musical exhibition, the 590s can be detailed to the point of fatique."

Fatique!? From the HD 590s!? Those guys can go "¤%&"¤%&#%& themselves (sorry, but that's just so misleading!)

"*%&"*%&#%&!!!
mad.gif

Yep, the HD 590s are somewhat bright-sounding compared to the hypothetical so-called "perfectly neutral" pair of headphones. But the guys at Headroom had heard an early production sample of the HD 590s, which WERE way too bright. (Same thing with the new closed HD 280 Pros - which some Head-Fiers got the early, crappy-quality samples, but most got the later, kickass-sounding revisions.

Mar 14, 2002 at 2:27 AM Post #63 of 81
Quote:

Originally posted by Snufkin
It's probably safe to say that a low-mid range pair of headphones with an entry level amp will sound better than the HD600 straight from a soundcard and will cost less/the same

This has been my position for a long, long time, and it always starts arguments
evil_smiley.gif
If you don't plan on getting an amp, there are other, cheaper, headphones that will probably give you better performance than an un-amped HD600. That, to me, means you probably shouldn't get the HD600 unless you have an amp, or plan to get one at some point in the future.

Quote:

Originally posted by Nick Dangerous
The 580 and 600 are identical in every way... save the external enclosures, earpads, faux granite headband, and storage box.

So the only similarity is the cables and the drivers, which are better matched on the HD600
smily_headphones1.gif

Seriously, though: the HD600 have better matched drivers, which are housed in better enclosures, with a better headband.

Quote:

They shouldn't sound different except in tightly controlled hypersensitive environments where reflections from the enclosures and slightly tighter driver tolerances become audible. Achieving this sort of environment almost certainly requires a clean, adequate power source.

By "power source" do you mean AC power? Or do you mean an amp?

I ask because if you're talking about an amp, I agree -- you need a good audio source and a good amp to really hear the difference between the 580 and the 600. However, if you mean AC power, then I would disagree.

As for "tightly controlled hypersensitive environments" you went over my head with that one
smily_headphones1.gif
What I do know is that on my "good" system, there is a significant difference between the 580 and 600 that easily justifies the difference in cost; on the other hand, out of my CD player itself, they sound pretty much the same.

The closer driver matching of the HD600 does make a difference. But what probably makes a bigger difference is the better enclosure/housing of the HD600.

Quote:

Originally posted by Keiso
That explains why Sennheiser has discontinued the HD580
smily_headphones1.gif

The HD580 are not discontinued.

Quote:

Fatique!? From the HD 590s!? Those guys can go "?%&"?%%& themselves (sorry, but that's just so misleading!)

Or it could be that you personally prefer a brighter sound. Many people find the 590 to be "bright;" some of those people who do not like "bright" headphones find them to be "fatiguing." That's not to say they're bad.

Mar 14, 2002 at 2:55 AM Post #64 of 81
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
This has been my position for a long, long time, and it always starts arguments
evil_smiley.gif

Hey, you won't get an argument out of me...unless you class the X-Can or the RA-1 as "entry-level"
very_evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif

Mar 15, 2002 at 12:55 AM Post #66 of 81
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
The HD580 are not discontinued.

They are in Europe. It's hard to find dealers with HD580 in stock now. The only ones left are from old stock, and they are almost equally priced as the HD600.

Jun 30, 2003 at 3:03 PM Post #67 of 81
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
No dedicated headphone amp for HD600 = thin, lifeless sound (non "musical").

Not necessarily...

Jun 30, 2003 at 5:03 PM Post #68 of 81
You do realize this thread is from well over a year ago?
-Mag

Jun 30, 2003 at 5:33 PM Post #69 of 81
Heh, well, yes, I do... but the subject is interesting as long as people use the HD600s... I wouldn't reply to such an old post normally, but today I've been extremely bored.

Oct 27, 2005 at 1:06 PM Post #73 of 81
stupid question (again): Can you listen headphones with a usual stereo amp?

Oct 27, 2005 at 1:43 PM Post #74 of 81
Wow that's what I really call "rise from the dead" (see Thread above).
biggrin.gif
I think a good stereo amp can deliver enough juice from its headphone jack to support cans with higher resistance.

Oct 27, 2005 at 1:50 PM Post #75 of 81
yeh
biggrin.gif

It's good to know.. littlebrother has stereoamp (don't know can i plug hd600 into it though). Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back