Sennheiser HD595 Impressions Thread
Jul 21, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #856 of 980

Quote:
That is very unlikely and should only happen if you use a very very weak or faulty source. 1 mW gets you about a 100 dB, almost any device is able to output that into 50 ohm headphones without clipping. (1 mW into 50 ohms is about 0.2 V and I = 0.004 A)

My thought exactly. Either AudioGlow has a faulty amp or he's the greatest headbanger in the known universe.

Sep 2, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #858 of 980
Quote:
Just got into the headphones business with HD 595's. They are quite impressive! Just trying to get some burn in for the actual quality but, had a question, what's a good portable amp to use with them? From the lowest price range to you know, the $150 haha. Not ready to break my bank yet because these cans kinda did it already haha. I have a Zune HD that I'd like to use the amp with, along with my laptop. I've been reading that the Total BitHead goes well with them, is there another? or others? Thank you :)

the hd595 were my first pair of serious headphones too. i used the hd595 for a long time without an amp and was quite satisfied with the sound. i then bought an ibasso d2+ boa only to realize that the 50 ohm hd595 really doesn't change much after amping if the amp itself is fairly neutral to begin with. save your money now and when the time comes use that saved money to plan for an upgrade to a nicer pair of cans with higher impedance plus a suitable amp for the new headphones. keep the hd595 after the upgrade to use as a low impedance pair of cans for general purposes like watching tv or gaming. enjoy.

Sep 7, 2010 at 5:48 PM Post #860 of 980
I picked up my 595s this week for £75 on eBay from a legit seller who sells Sennheiser stuff. Very impressed as I upgraded from broken HD555s which in turn was an upgrade to the HD485 and Grado SR60.

There's much more life and the background details in music that were invisible in my 3 year old 555s are there in the 595s so yeah, gotta love that!.

o2smile.gif

Sep 7, 2010 at 6:11 PM Post #861 of 980

Quote:
Just got into the headphones business with HD 595's. They are quite impressive! Just trying to get some burn in for the actual quality but, had a question, what's a good portable amp to use with them? From the lowest price range to you know, the $150 haha. Not ready to break my bank yet because these cans kinda did it already haha. I have a Zune HD that I'd like to use the amp with, along with my laptop. I've been reading that the Total BitHead goes well with them, is there another? or others? Thank you :)

From  my own experience:  TOTAL BITHEAD ($159), from Headroom, is a perfect portable dac/amp for a SennHD595.

L3000.gif

Sep 7, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #862 of 980

Quote:
Thank you so much for your reply Muddyglass!! much appreciated. Only reason I'd want an amp is to increase the bass quality of the headphones. Another question is, is there a way to tell fake HD 595's at all? Craigslist is swarming with them. I have been recommending these to everyone and anyone who asks me about headphones and wouldn't want them getting screwed :frowning2:

Frankly, I've never heard of a fake 595. I know some of the cheaper Senns, mostly earbuds, have been copied, but not the higher end ones. Where did you hear there were face 595s around? 

Sep 7, 2010 at 9:32 PM Post #863 of 980
Got mine last Friday.... about 45 hours of burn in on em...

Soundblaster X-Fi XtremeGamer ---> Sennheiser HD595s

Will purchase an amp over the weekend... recommendations? :)

Sep 7, 2010 at 9:49 PM Post #864 of 980

Quote:
Thank you so much for your reply Muddyglass!! much appreciated. Only reason I'd want an amp is to increase the bass quality of the headphones. Another question is, is there a way to tell fake HD 595's at all? Craigslist is swarming with them. I have been recommending these to everyone and anyone who asks me about headphones and wouldn't want them getting screwed :frowning2:

sorry, never heard of a fake hd595. i imagine it probably wouldn't be worth the trouble to fake. iems/earphones are just so much easier to bootleg.

Sep 7, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #865 of 980

Quote:
Frankly, I've never heard of a fake 595. I know some of the cheaper Senns, mostly earbuds, have been copied, but not the higher end ones. Where did you hear there were face 595s around? 

the higher end iems are not immune. the ie8 has been faked, for example. there's an entire thread on head-fi devoted to telling the differences between the fake versions. the bastards have made buying a used pair of ie8's difficult and risky.

Sep 8, 2010 at 10:55 AM Post #866 of 980
True, there definitely are high-end fakes out there. But I also haven't heard of HD595 fakes..

Sep 8, 2010 at 1:20 PM Post #867 of 980
bought myself HD595's but they were faulty, left speaker had higher volume than the right, so I sent them back and got a working pair. Love the comfort of them, I have Beyers 770 pro also, that after many reviews stated that they were comfy, but when I bought em they sat too tight on the head and the big cans pressed on my jaw so I had a exhausted jaw after 1 hour.

The sound is balanced but the bass still goes deep, they're not neutral, they're just OPEN headphones. Someone just like closed cans better for the more boomy bass, lesser soundstage and mids. Someone just like quantity over quality. :)

Oct 2, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #869 of 980
I didn't really like the HD595's.  They sounded very clear and detailed, but they were just lacking that punch that i'm looking for in a headphone.  I also did not like the sound signiture at all and found the bass to be lacking a little bit.  I found them to be a bit uncomfortable for me as well.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back