Sennheiser HD595 Impressions Thread
Jan 19, 2007 at 3:28 PM Post #271 of 980
That's some interesting information maDmaN. I'm going to have to give this a try when I find some time. Maybe the volume level will match my k701's. =T

Jan 25, 2007 at 9:37 AM Post #273 of 980
Do you have any problem with 595s ?
eggosmile.gif

Feb 21, 2007 at 3:48 AM Post #274 of 980
Quote:

Originally Posted by laxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, when did the HD595's jump up to >$180?

sometime after new years :-/ It was 130ish at certain point (580 dropped to 100 at that time, it was ridiculous).

Feb 23, 2007 at 10:42 AM Post #275 of 980
Quote:

Originally Posted by spike33 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're so right, I haven't visited headfi for months. Just came by to put my k501 for sale (great headphone btw!) because I listen to 595 much more often.

Oh wow, you put your K501 up for sale because of the HD595? I did the exact opposite! What a funny world ... Just curious, how long did it take you? For me it was a couple of minutes.

Feb 27, 2007 at 1:47 AM Post #276 of 980
Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny5alv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks that's good to hear.. Although I won't be using it on a computer so it will just be stereo for now.. Looking into buying a Surround sound converter like the JVC SU-DH1 Surround Headphone Adapter..

If anyone knows of a similarly priced better alternative, I'd like to hear it.

Thanks
Jon

Hi just reading through the thread and saw your post.

If you are in the UK your cheapest Dolby Headphone technology adapter option is:

Creative HQ2300D I got mine from MX2.co.uk for only £39.99 inc. delivery! This got 9/10 on Trustedreviews. Has DD, DTS, Dolby Pro Logic II. The adapter can take both an optical and digital coxial input (as well as analogue); and it has 2 headphone outputs so you can watch with someone else without needing a splitter cable. Comes with a pair of 32 Ohm headphones and recommends that 32 Ohm ones are used with the adapter- you can use any headphones with the adapter as the Dolby Headphone works its magic for producing the 5.1 sound.

Just had a look now on MX2 and the price has gone up to £55.95, still cheaper than Amazon's ~£68.

I was going to get the JVC SU-DH1 from Audiocubes as my Creative order was on order as they were out of stock at the beginning of Feb. Actually placed an order with Audio Cubes then the next morning before I cancelled my MX2 order, they had sent me an email saying they had despatched the Creatives- quickly cancelled the AudioCubes order. Phew!

JVC ones have 3 DSP settings (mixing studio, regular listening room, concert hall). The Japanese version has a DC jack whilst the US version does not.

It's worth getting some AA NiMH batteries and a fast charger such as the Energizer 15 minute one which is cheap at 7dayshop.

HTH

Feb 27, 2007 at 9:49 PM Post #277 of 980
Very disappointed with my 595s. I was expecting them to improve over time, but after ~2 months they haven't much. Maybe mine are broken since I actually prefer the sound from the cheapo earbuds that came with my Sana mp3 player!

frown.gif

What should I do guys? How long is Senn's warrenty?

Feb 27, 2007 at 10:02 PM Post #278 of 980
Slides, what aspects of the HD595 sound don't you like? If you just don't like the sound signature then more burn in definitely isn't going to have a big enough effect to change your mind.

Feb 27, 2007 at 10:13 PM Post #279 of 980
Slides: My 595s were very underwhelming coming from my stock computer sound card, so I got an amp/dac (Bithead) to bypass the card. Problem solved! So you may want to check out your source before sending back the headphones.

Feb 27, 2007 at 10:44 PM Post #280 of 980
Now I agree that my source (Audigy 2 ZS) is not giving the 595 much to play with, but I tried using them on my Sansa player, and I still liked the sound of the cheapo earbuds. Doesn’t make sense to me, but don’t get me wrong, I’m not going to so easily give up on these phones. I plan on purchasing a DAC in the near future (after I get an IEM for my sansa). And also an amp sometime way ahead in the future.

As for what I don’t like, the sound while good in detail and clarity lacks that “ommph” factor. I just have more fun listening to music with my earbuds as the sound seems closer to me. I’m not a hardcore audiophile, so it’s possible that I don’t really appreciate the 595 as much as some others do, but in the end it’s about how much fun I have listening to music.

Feb 27, 2007 at 11:03 PM Post #281 of 980
I don't dismiss your preference for the earbuds, I expect I'd prefer earbuds over the HD595 too driven from a source like that. If it's the “ommph” factor you want to fix, I feel an amp is more likely to provide that for you than a DAC. The only thing I've found that does that for the HD595 to my taste is tubes. A nice tube amp does provide more power and does bring everything closer but the HD595 seems to have limits on how close it will bring you. It's certainly not going to take you right up close to the instruments like a Grado. Maybe with the right sources and amp you'd get close but there's a limit as to how much it's worth fighting the inherent characteristics of a headphone when you could just get something closer to what you want to begin with.

Feb 27, 2007 at 11:40 PM Post #282 of 980
just got some of these bad boys for my birthday! The sound is still changing around a bit, but I think it's pretty good! Got about 36 hours on the burn in. I've been using it out of a presonus firebox (my sorry excuse for a headphone amp). I agree with the general opinion that these phones are a bit bass deficient.

I like these more than my grados!!

Feb 28, 2007 at 12:15 AM Post #283 of 980
Welcome to our world xD

Their bass deficiency is very well fixed by a high-current amp.

Feb 28, 2007 at 12:36 AM Post #284 of 980
I just received mine. Coming from a few headphones/earphones, I must say it is an excellent headphone. I am a professional musician (classical pianist/composer/conductor), always looking for a nice, detailed headphone for hearing my own compositions. I use AKG 141S for mixing and recording, then I hear the final results using the HD595. My own music never sounded so good, I must say.
biggrin.gif

I also have a few other phones here, including Porta Pros, but to my ears HD595 is more refined. I really don't need anything "better" (at least not right now), maybe I am not a audiophile in the proper sense.
smily_headphones1.gif
I can't even imagine spending much more in a headphone just to hear minimal improvements in sound. Maybe someday I will try some other brands. If you have any recommendations for good headphones from other brands in the same league, I would love to hear them. I guess AKG 501 would be a good bet, what do you think?
wink.gif

I am really loving my HD595, out from the box. I am not a "believer" in burn-in, I think most improvements are psychological more than physical, but who knows? If I notice some improvement I will post later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back