Sennheiser HD595 Impressions Thread
Nov 30, 2006 at 1:41 PM Post #196 of 980
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slides /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm pretty new at this whole hifi headphone business, and the amp part really confuses me. Which ones will give good bass, and be affordable? And where do I buy them?

The one's I'm looking at right now:
Xenos 0HA-REP
PA2V2
XM4
Corda Headfive (expensive for me and not sure if there will be any left soon)
Little Dot+ (where do I get these from?)
anything else?

Also, what is this wedge on the cups? Comfort is a big factor for me, since I wear my headphones for long durations.

Thanks

I recommend a customised (you must ask Alberto of Xenos directly. Price is $122) Xenos 0HA-REP with AD823/LMH6654 op-amps.

Nov 30, 2006 at 10:37 PM Post #197 of 980
how is the leakage from these. I'm looking for comfortable over the ear phones for studying. Closed would be ideal, but the best ones seem to be open and I'm considering these or the hd555 at the top of my list. At normal listening volume, would i be bothering people in a library?

Nov 30, 2006 at 10:58 PM Post #198 of 980
Yep. It leaks its fair share of sound. Definitely not library cans.

Dec 1, 2006 at 2:59 AM Post #200 of 980
Quote:

Originally Posted by vikaskoth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks. after visiting this site for awhile i've finally discovered some closed cans that fit what i'm looking for

How about sharing?

Dec 1, 2006 at 3:44 AM Post #201 of 980
The 595's helped me through my recovery period after I moved and had to sell away my stuff. They sounded great unamped and phenomenal once amped, and were great bringing the music to the front.

I suggest taking the the inside pad out to help with that wedge. It's much smaller then and probably won't touch your ears. It worked for me.

Dec 1, 2006 at 4:10 AM Post #202 of 980
Inside pad? They have an inside pad?

Uh..........would someone be interested in giving or selling me theirs? I bought my 595's from someone here.

PM's work.
tongue.gif

Dec 1, 2006 at 7:20 AM Post #203 of 980
Slides - instead of getting some hd 595, I'm going to buy either AudioTechnica A700 or Beyer DT 250. I haven't bought anything yet. I'm also no audiophile so feedback from me probably won't be helpful to most on this forum.

Dec 1, 2006 at 8:20 AM Post #204 of 980
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cirkustanz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Inside pad? They have an inside pad?

Uh..........would someone be interested in giving or selling me theirs? I bought my 595's from someone here.

PM's work.
tongue.gif

You know, the little screen thingy that covers the drivers. You snap off the pads, then remove it, then snap them back on.

Dec 1, 2006 at 12:57 PM Post #205 of 980
Just got a new amp: Darkvoice 336i

my 595s never sounded better - vocals are simply amazing.

Dec 1, 2006 at 2:19 PM Post #206 of 980
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daryn Alexander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know, the little screen thingy that covers the drivers. You snap off the pads, then remove it, then snap them back on.

Oh, yeah I have those. I thought they meant there was a styrofoam-like pad inside. Surprised me since most of sennheisers marketing for the phones is based on the shaping of the earcup itself.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 22, 2006 at 6:08 PM Post #207 of 980
I got my pair of 595's in the mail today.
600smile.gif

After being spoon-fed massive doses of treble by my SR60's for 4 years, I was shocked to hear a mid-range!

Some things I've noticed:

~Great comfort compared to Grados.

~The comfort factor extends even into the music itself. If you look at a frequency response chart for the SR60's, you can see the loudest stuff is cylibance (sp?). I used to have to listen with the volume low because my ears would bleed, but with the Senn's, I'm actually able to pump up the volume!
icon10.gif

~I'm going to break them in until Christmas Day. I have a couple of MP3's of white and pink noise, and I was wondering if this is better for break-in purposes than just having my music library on loop? Also, what volume would you recommend for break-in?

~At first I was afraid of the Sennheiser "veil" sound but then I realized this is actually more normal than the Grado sound which emphasizes the lower mids and highs. The veil is nonexistant because I can still pick out all the details in my music and more. I'm just glad I didn't get the 600's or 650's, because I understand they emphasize the lower frequencies even more
blink.gif

This seems to be a good "transition" headphone. I welcome the dark side with open arms!

Dec 22, 2006 at 6:21 PM Post #208 of 980
Quote:

Originally Posted by Furmang08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This seems to be a good "transition" headphone. I welcome the dark side with open arms!

Welcome to team Sennheiser Furmang
580smile.gif
I need to try to make a HD595 smiley!!!! I think the HD595 is the best all rounder headphone out there.....period! It's scaling well as I get higher end source equipment. Seems to satisfy everything in what makes a good headphone (to me). Tonally, pretty neutral....having a soundstage, but not a large one.

I'm one of those that straddles the fence when it comes to burn in....the only headphone I've bought that seems to have "burned in" has been the HD595. I think the bass tightens up a bit and the treble softens a bit.....so you get some cans that have serious impact for alternative, punk, and electronica genres. I found that the HD595s opened up after 24 hours of burn in. So get a CD and loop it for two days straight (to be on the safe side if you need a safer burn in placebo). I don't think it really matters what your source is, since burn in is really just speeding up the process of letting all newly manufactured parts settle in.

Actually, I feel the HD595 has just as much bass as the HD600. The main difference is that the 595 is brighter, more detailed, and has a smaller soundstage. The 650 is the only one that has more bass....which I'm finding the 650 to be the most "life like" less headphone sounding.

Dec 22, 2006 at 6:45 PM Post #209 of 980
Quote:

Originally Posted by Furmang08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got my pair of 595's in the mail today.
600smile.gif

After being spoon-fed massive doses of treble by my SR60's for 4 years, I was shocked to hear a mid-range!
~At first I was afraid of the Sennheiser "veil" sound but then I realized this is actually more normal than the Grado sound which emphasizes the lower mids and highs. The veil is nonexistant because I can still pick out all the details in my music and more. I'm just glad I didn't get the 600's or 650's, because I understand they emphasize the lower frequencies even more
blink.gif

The 595 never had a "veil" reputation -- that's why so many people like them.

Dec 22, 2006 at 10:03 PM Post #210 of 980
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 595 never had a "veil" reputation -- that's why so many people like them.

Yeah, the only problem really is the lack of free air in sound. It makes them sound darker than they really are at first. But that unrestricted air is a must for me, so those headphones are sold and gone. *sob*

Now where are those damn DT880 im waiting for!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back