Sennheiser HD595 Impressions Thread
Aug 26, 2006 at 4:26 AM Post #91 of 980
Quote:

Originally Posted by ERNEST T
This is my first post. I have been looking for awhile but just joined last night. I guess I can expect more of when did you buy that from the wife and a lighter wallet in the future. I have been listening to Hi Fi since the 70's. Anyway you guys have got me wanting some 595's. Right now I listen to a pod with ether px-100 or Grado 60's and a pa2v2 amp. My first question is will the pa2v2 drive the 595's ok. Looks like the 595's have a 1/4 plug and I don't like adapters. Can the cord be changed to a 3.5. And lastly where is the cheapest place to buy the 595 in the US............Thanks For your help Trent

They drive them fine..

Aug 29, 2006 at 2:04 AM Post #94 of 980
woot! FedEx stopped by at about 12 o clock today adn delivered tehse things
biggrin.gif

hats off to FedEx for awesome delivery
as for the cans, the things are great. even the box was sleek and sexy. comes with a nice little stand for the headphones too
biggrin.gif

did a little bit of music/game testing without burning in...
listened to a few songs from The Mars Volta, Far East Movement and a little bit of techno.
awesome. first song i listened to was from TMV and the guitars, mids, and vocals were wayyyy clearer and fuller than they were on my Siberias. i tested both at the same volume and the 595s seemed to bring out more in the guitar and mids than the siberias did. although, there was an underlying guitar solo in the song that was hard to hear on teh 595 compared to the siberias; i'm assuming it's because the headphones were fresh out of the box.
the FM song was also great. the song contained alot of bass (pretty much basically throughout the song) and the 595 dealt with them in a great manner. the bass was more punchy than boomy but it was much stronger than compared to my siberias - big thumbs up. i'm assuming as time goes on and they get used more the bass will shine brighter.
as for teh techno/hard dance, the music sounded alot less recessed and the highs were clearer and sounded better. tho, it wasn't as big of a jump as TMV was
overall, great pair of headphones. the top headband does push down a little but it's completely bearable for long sessions. as for the ear cups...they fit =D and trust me, i have BIG ears.
now, my question is...any specific way to burn these babies in? anything you guys recommend? thx for the help.

Aug 30, 2006 at 7:04 AM Post #95 of 980
I'm in love with my 595. I'm enjoy them so much I've almost abandoned my 5.1 speakers. There's things you just don't hear with speakers that you do with headphones.

I love my 595 so much I'm about to get a iPod nano with LDM+ and wear them to school everyday.

Aug 30, 2006 at 4:09 PM Post #96 of 980
Quote:

Originally Posted by superbob
now, my question is...any specific way to burn these babies in? anything you guys recommend? thx for the help.

Hey, congrats on the new 595s, superbob.

I really do love them too. I've had mine for a good long while now. While I remain agnostic on the burn-in process, I can tell you that as much as I loved them out of the box, I love them a lot more now. So, to answer your question: burn them in by listening to them often! And listen to every genre you can with them-- you'll quikly pick out some of the things the 595s do very well that way.

I think 95% of the posts I've made on this forum have been "appreciating" the 595s (and often defending them). They really do a very large number of things very well. For me, the biggest clincher is their presentation: it really is a great middle-ground (I don't want to say compromise) between the "standard" Sennheiser house sound and something a bit forward and bright. (In fact, I'm fairly sensitive to highs; the 595s push me to just about my comfort limit in this respect-- anything "brighter" is just too much for me).

And the bass-- I know the common criticism is weak bass. It's just not true. Give yourself lots and lots of hours with these. Whether through burn-in or through leaning to listen properly to their presentation, you'll notice a lot of bass. A lot. It can creep up on you and suprise the hell out of you, honestly. A bass-weak recording will never get you there-- but something with a lot of bass in it sure will.

[edit: I should also say that trying them with different source-amp combos is a must. The 595's bass is very nicely presented in many set ups, but some of them--including some high-end setups--seem to eat up some of the bass. They're very synergy-dependant, and seem to work best from low impedence outs, from my experience. Can anyone confirm this?]

Not to say they're perfect, and certainly not to say they're better than the 650s (I've yet to hear the 650s in an optimal set-up)--although they certainly are different. But the 595s are truly great cans, and for their low price and pure adaptability, they're practically steals. A great headphone if you only want (or can only afford) one headphone.

In months and months of listening, they've never failed to put a grin on my face. I've been tempted to try others, but even if I were to buy something else--say a 600 or 650--I think I'd have a hard time actually getting rid of my 595s. They just do so much so well, and are so ******* undemanding about the whole process (save the synergy issue, which is mitigated pretty well by the fact that they sound great unamped right from an ipod).

Aug 30, 2006 at 4:37 PM Post #97 of 980
parhelictriangle, you summarized the HD595 very well!

I'm facing a 'mirror image' problem -- I've had a hard time trying to forget the pleasures of my HD595...
tongue.gif
So I hope I'll manage to buy a new one...

Aug 30, 2006 at 7:31 PM Post #98 of 980
I'm about to buy an HD595. Coming out of an X-Fi is the LDM+ a good option? I'm willing to spend up to $100 for an amp. I am not a basshead so have stayed away from Pva2v

Sep 13, 2006 at 12:08 PM Post #101 of 980
Haha....wow...it was a year ago that i started this thread. The 595 is my first "high-end" headphones. I'll probably always keep it even though i've moved on to better stuff. It still gets a listen every now and then. Despite what everyone says about it not needing amplification, it really comes alive with a correctly matched amp.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 14, 2006 at 5:52 PM Post #103 of 980
Quote:

Originally Posted by nabwong
Haha....wow...it was a year ago that i started this thread. The 595 is my first "high-end" headphones. I'll probably always keep it even though i've moved on to better stuff. It still gets a listen every now and then. Despite what everyone says about it not needing amplification, it really comes alive with a correctly matched amp.
smily_headphones1.gif

Just curious as to what amp you feel is a good match.

Thanks
Greg

Sep 14, 2006 at 6:14 PM Post #104 of 980
Quote:

Originally Posted by GregBe
Just curious as to what amp you feel is a good match.

Thanks
Greg

I'm currently running mine through a Head Five. Sounds great!

:595smile

(it should be there!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back