Sennheiser HD595 Impressions Thread
Jan 8, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #961 of 980

The replacement cable for the 595 is $20 I think on amazon. I've never heard the 598 but I don't think they are too different. The hd600 and hd650 will be very different. If you wanna make a jump, i'd recommend the hifiman he400. These can be gotten about $300 used. 

Thank you for the suggestions. Something to ponder.....

Jan 11, 2014 at 5:48 AM Post #962 of 980
I am now listening to these cans again after shelving them for a couple of years and I must say I'm as impressed as when I first listened to them. A hd650 on a budget! I listen mostly to closed back headphones now but I did not know I missed depth and soundstage that these things offer! The mids are just lush and organic. I think a classic in the making!

Jan 12, 2014 at 3:55 AM Post #963 of 980
I got my hd595 since 2011, they are nice complement to my m50.

Recently i had this idea to add up more bass to my 595 not just to add +6 or +8 bass out of my Fiio E17. Since its a fully open headphone I split the headphone out of my E17 to my 595 and my altec MX5021, i disconnect both speakers and keep the subwoofer running on parallel. Tada! Deep felt rumbling as what sub bass should be. Yes i know, it killed the purpose of a headphone not to disturb others while using it. But its quite an experience to hear and feel a headphone with such sub bass is good.

Happy Listening!

Feb 27, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #964 of 980
The X5 is an awesome pairing with the HD595s. The matching neutral signature produces when paired produces an even bigger sound stage and the HD595 is already huge. However, the black background of the X5 enhances the HD595 clarity to another level. It has to be heard to be believed. This is the pairing that I use to show off the X5's prowess. Here is an excerpt from my X5 review:

"The HD595s were the second best pairing that I heard. As very neutral sounding, open eared headphones, they have the largest sound stage of all my headphones in a mobile context. Matching the X5’s neutral signature, they project that black background very effectively enhancing the already very large sound stage. With nothing to get in the way of the details that X5 is capable of, the HD595 matches the NT6pro’s bell like clarity with a larger sound stage. The only thing holding the HD595 back is it’s neutral bass response. With no warmth, it may be considered to be bass light by some which the X5 helps to supplement with its touch of warmth. This only effects the HD595 pairing at excessive higher volumes where the bass falls off. However, the HD595 is my low volume top performer with the ability to reach deep with realistic sub-bass performance down to extreme lower volumes. Being my most comfortable and best low volume performers, they are what I like to listen to at night to fall asleep."

http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-x5-high-res-portable-music-player/reviews/10579

Jul 4, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #966 of 980
I think these are very good entry lvl phones, especially with the inner plastic grill and cloth removal modification. I think they sound very clear, have a nice deep sound and forward sound stage with good separation. Also mids shine, and with the modification bass gains more impact but even without the modification this is a very nice sounding headphone. Very good for both music and gaming audio.

Jul 27, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #967 of 980
Hi,just got the HD595 from a friend of mine,(I also own a set of Sony MDR-V6) I'm driving them straight out of my 21 year old JVC CD player(sounds pretty nice). Ofcourse I want an amp , i've been looking at the Shiit Asgard. Do anybody of you guys tried this combo?

Jul 28, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #968 of 980
Hi,just got the HD595 from a friend of mine,(I also own a set of Sony MDR-V6) I'm driving them straight out of my 21 year old JVC CD player(sounds pretty nice). Ofcourse I want an amp , i've been looking at the Shiit Asgard. Do anybody of you guys tried this combo?

These were my ticket for entry to headphonedom. Great headphones, I still listen to them every now and again. I have not heard this combo myself, but have been thinking of picking up an Asgard 2 lately, and will report back if I do.

I often look at power requirements when considering what headphones / amps to acquire (for headphones: will I need to get a new amp in order to use these? for amps: will this let me better drive the headphones I have, or let me branch into new headphones?) I have stayed away from worrying too much about pairings because making sure I "got it right" is terrifyingly expensive.

I would be concerned that the Asgard (or Asgard 2) will be WAY too powerful for the HD595: to drive to earsplitting levels (> 110 dB), you only need ~6 mW at 50 ohms, and the Asgard pushes out 1W, which is approximately 167 times more. I know there is low gain mode on the Asgard 2, but I would be worried about only being able to use the first 10% of the volume knob. In this regard something like an Objective 2 would be a cheaper equally viable alternative at $129 for amp alone. I have head this pairing, and enjoy it.

Devil's Advocate Position: The O2 simply lacks sex appeal, and the Asgard 2, at the end of the day is a MUCH more capable amplifier if you intend to go further down the rabbit hole such as Planars or 600 ohm dynamic coils. From a power perspective (which as I stated above is my primary concern, since it is amp after all) there are few headphones Asgard 2 cannot drive beyond the limits specified. The same is true of the O2, but it was not designed to pump out the same amount of juice.

TL;DR?
I have been struggling lately over whether to pick-up an Asgard 2, and the above is my basic thought process as it relates to my current inventory, which includes the HD595, even if it has been adversely possessed by my adoring wife... Once I finish chopping the latest round of headphone auditions, I will probably succumb and get an Asgard 2, then report back. If you can wait that long (a month?) I will happy to give details.

Jul 30, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #969 of 980
Thanks for the answer, I am on my way down the rabbithole (hehe):D, so I probably will get some other cans in the future ,so I was thinking of future proofing with this amp. I'm looking forward to hear what you think of the amp (if you buy it)

Jul 30, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #970 of 980
Right, so I ended up ordering one the day after I responded to you. I thought, "hell, you have enough headphones at the moment to run the asgard2 through a nice audition of its own..." and the next thing you know I had hit "confirm purchase" and its en route. I have drifted away from the sennheiser sound preference over the years, and I doubt asgard2 will change that, but I don't "hate the veil" or whatever, so after I give an honest listen, I will let you know.

Sep 18, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #972 of 980
I know I said a month, but I must have meant two months...

I have listened pretty well through the Asgard 2, and they certainly sound fine. On low gain, with truly dynamic recordings, you get to use quite a bit of the volume pot (hooray!) I had forgotten that these are pretty forgiving headphones, and will not expose the awful truths in most recordings; when I was listening to most anything I just sat back and let it wash over me without getting caught in over-detail. Between the O2 and Asgard 2 I did not hear much difference with the HD595, but that is very different when I am comparing these amps using my orthos, the now-sold HE-500 or now-owned HE-560.

I also picked up a Valhalla 2 in the mean time (on suggestion re: higher end Beyer and Sennheiser), and I need to correct an earlier statement. When listening to the 250 ohm beyers, and 300 ohm sennheisers, the voltage ceiling that Valhalla affords is excellent, and the sound is much better: warmer, more lively, etc. With the 595, Asgard still sounds very good, but I prefer the Valhalla...

So, my adivce is this: if you think the rabbit hole points towards planars/orthos, get the Asgard for now. if you think it points towards traditional high-end dynamics, grab a Valhalla. If your journey will be calm for a while, save some dough and grab an O2, then see where your curiosities take you later.

There are of course many other amps to look at, but I have not heard them all, so I do not include them here. Best luck.

Mar 18, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #973 of 980
I fear the end is nigh...
img_201503180pnjrg.jpg

Fun lasted over four years but now I have a bad feeling that this will just fall apart soon. Now even the other side has started to crack. :frowning2: I asked Sennheiser if there's anything that can be done to fix it (I'm not entirely sure if they fix old stuff here in Finland but I wouldn't mind paying as long it's reasonable price). If I can't get these fixed I don't really know what to buy. HD 598 sounds so different (I honestly prefer HD 595 to it).

Mar 19, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #974 of 980
I fear the end is nigh...
img_201503180pnjrg.jpg

Fun lasted over four years but now I have a bad feeling that this will just fall apart soon. Now even the other side has started to crack.
frown.gif
I asked Sennheiser if there's anything that can be done to fix it (I'm not entirely sure if they fix old stuff here in Finland but I wouldn't mind paying as long it's reasonable price). If I can't get these fixed I don't really know what to buy. HD 598 sounds so different (I honestly prefer HD 595 to it).

That happened to mine, but mine was more of an accident ! LOL I loved these phones ! I wonder which Sennheiser, is nearest in sound to the HD595's ??

Mar 20, 2015 at 5:46 AM Post #975 of 980
No idea but if HD 598 headband fits, I'll likely get this fixed. It's way cheaper than new headphones.

EDIT:
So they do have HD 595 Magic Red headband... I'll get these fixed. It's going to look rather unique after that. xD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back