Sennheiser HD595 Impressions Thread
Dec 20, 2007 at 7:39 PM Post #497 of 980
I just ordered the HD595s a few hours ago and am DIEING to get ahold of them!! can't wait to see what everyone is talking about
biggrin.gif

Dec 20, 2007 at 8:49 PM Post #498 of 980
I'm a classical musician. I think the 595s sound fine with reproducing most instruments (not piano so much). Great with classical guitars, flutes, clarinets.

Havent heard the 555s though

Dec 20, 2007 at 10:42 PM Post #500 of 980
Quote:

Originally Posted by iKonoKlast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just hooked up the Headroom Total Bithead to the HD595... these headphones are a totally different animal when amped!

That's what I said!
tongue.gif

Dec 20, 2007 at 11:35 PM Post #501 of 980
what version do you guys have?? 50 Ohm or 120 Ohms. I though I had ordered the 50 Ohm one but turns out it was the 120 one, I hope I wont have any problems driving it from an mp3 player, guess if I do I'll just grab an amp
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 23, 2007 at 12:59 AM Post #502 of 980
Dec 23, 2007 at 3:01 AM Post #503 of 980
Quote:

Originally Posted by nabwong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The thing about the 595s is that i can listen for hours and hours and my ears never get tired. My ears start to bleed after less than 2 hours with the sr60s. They are really exciting phones but my ears can't handle them for too long. But i'll still keep both.

The sr60 only cost $70 vs $150 for the sr595's so you cant realy complain about the sr60's

Dec 23, 2007 at 3:35 AM Post #504 of 980
Just because a headphone is cheaper doesn't mean it has to feel like sandpaper rubbing against your ears.

Dec 28, 2007 at 9:47 PM Post #505 of 980
Quote:

Originally Posted by Broken_Soulz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what version do you guys have?? 50 Ohm or 120 Ohms. I though I had ordered the 50 Ohm one but turns out it was the 120 one, I hope I wont have any problems driving it from an mp3 player, guess if I do I'll just grab an amp
smily_headphones1.gif

me also and i have no idea what kind of amp to get T________T i'm going to read through this thread see if i can find something... ; ;

(if someone is kind enough to make a recommendation <.<: ~$100 games/movies/computer source edit: oh @.@;;; how feasible is it to use optical out on x-fi @.@;;;;;; ) >.>b

Jan 4, 2008 at 1:59 PM Post #506 of 980
for sure before said, but what do guys think about drums-sound with 595?

I think drums sound more REAL with ipod cans, KSC75 or 7506
frown.gif
¿?
just the drums...

Jan 5, 2008 at 11:34 PM Post #507 of 980

Wrote this about a day ago ... copied from overclock.net:

At long last ... my HD595's came in today ...

I've been listening to them for about two hours now and have some (premature) thoughts:

senn595_1.jpg

Number one ... they're some sexy looking cans. Love the design.

That said, ... there's much to be said for the various other aspects of the cans worth... fit, sound quality, driveability, etc.

/FIT/

The fit is perfect for mi cabeza ... lovely pads, plush velour, just the right pressure. Lovely all around on the fit.

I can find nothing negative to say about the way they fit my noggin.

/DRIVE-ability/

My listening tests were done with the X-fi in Audio Creation mode so that I could run in 'bit-matched' mode, thereby disabling any X-fi EQ, surround or otherwise settings/affectations that come matter of course with the X-fi cards.

The X-fi elite pro drives them to moderate levels ... decent sound and all ... just not very 'thick' and not very loud. In the unamped X-fi scenario, I had to crank the volume to the absolute max to get any sort of decent sound ... but it was still only medium level volume.

When I plugged in the XM4 amp, things got a LOT better.

The additional juice provide by the in-line XM4 amp seriously transformed the sound. Thicker bass, highs and mids much more present and, well, just lovely.

Another thing that changed significantly when adding the XM4 in-line was that the sound stage became much more lively and 'animated,' wider and more realistic in all regards (really came to appreciate my amp a bit more with these tests).

Also, with the XM4 in-line I had a much higher volume ceiling compared with running the X-fi alone (unamped).

/SOUND/

One thing right off the bat that becomes apparent is that these cans do the high/mids area in an exceptional way. Not quite as sharp and crisp as my Shure e4c's, but still very pleasing and up front. Compared to the Shure e4c's ... the highs were just a tad rolled off in the finish but just as bright and apparent.

One thing I was pleased with, sound-wise, was that I immediately recognized that in regards to frequencies (not volume) the HD595's are a direct competitor to the great performance of my Shure e4c's. But the volume/bass category is another story for now (pre burn in) ...

The bass is natural and present ... though in no way would I call these bass monsters; granted, these new HD595's are not burnt in yet ... but right off the bat, the bass just isn't as potent (in identical listening circumstances) as my Shure e4's. The HD595's are close ... running a close second and all ... but the presence and tone is just not as potent (minor quibble, really, ... the air tight seal of the Shure's really makes the bass shine).

Overall, I'm completely stoked on the general sound quality when compared to my main listening cans (e4c's) ... very happy that they were so close in quality ... but I do have some complaints.

Number one ... the possible volume levels, in no way compares to what I can obtain with the Shure e4c's ...

The HD595's get quite impressive in volume, but not to the 'serious rock your brain' volumes that the Shures will reach.

What happens is this: when the HD595's reach a certain point, I'll hear a very sharp and very *wrong* sort of distortion that manifests as sharp, loud pops in either ear ... this threshold is changeable depending on the amount of bass I'm feeding them. Maybe this will change as the cans burn in ... maybe not.

Either way ... it's somewhat trivial as the level I'm looking for is probably outside the gamut of normal listeners preferences ... (think I burned my ears out a bit back in the rocker days ... see the OSAMT sig).

Needless to say ... the Shure e4c's handle higher volume levels with similar bass profiles ...

In fact ... I've never heard the Shure's clip/pop like that.

Anyway ... again, it's totally trivial because the HD595's (with amping) do reach very very acceptable levels of volume ... just not the brain bursting levels my Shure e4c's will reach. But those comments are made driving both sets through an X-fi/XM4 setup and for all I know things will change once I get a better desktop amp.

I wrote that about twenty hours ago and the sound has improved quite dramatically since then ...

I dig them and will most likely keep them.

My only complaint is the popping at volumes I'd like to listen to certain bass heavy rock tracks at ... totally scary sounding pops ...

Has anyone else run into this? It only happens at the 'damage your hearing' levels that bands like Tool and others sound great at ...

I'm wondering if it isn't that my Amp just can't send it a strong enough current for those volumes?

confused.gif

Jan 6, 2008 at 1:02 AM Post #508 of 980
Quote:

Originally Posted by s1rrah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My only complaint is the popping at volumes I'd like to listen to certain bass heavy rock tracks at ... totally scary sounding pops ...

You sure it's not the sound of your ear drums bursting? Seriously, whether your ears are already shot or not, they're going to be at the sort of levels you seem to be describing, and then you won't have to worry about what headphones to buy--they'll all sound the same.

Maybe you'd better forget rock and try some chamber music.

Jan 6, 2008 at 1:09 AM Post #509 of 980
Quote:

Originally Posted by pp312 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You sure it's not the sound of your ear drums bursting? Seriously, whether your ears are already shot or not, they're going to be at the sort of levels you seem to be describing, and then you won't have to worry about what headphones to buy--they'll all sound the same.

Maybe you'd better forget rock and try some chamber music.

wink.gif

Well, I know it's not my ears since the Shure e4's will do insanely higher volumes without clipping ...

But then again ... I suspect the Shure's are easier to drive.

Also ... re: chamber music ... I'm a huge fan. Especially string quartets and piano sonatas (schiff, emmerson string, etc.) ... and I'm rather pleased with the 595's in that regard as well.

But putting on early soundgarden ... or maybe some mudhoney ... absolutely demands huge volume.

:)

Jan 10, 2008 at 7:09 PM Post #510 of 980
I am a relative newbie.

I received the 595s from Headroom on monday.

I have had them playing all day since then.

I am now convinced that burn-in is real. At least with these.

I do not know if it is my ears, but the difference since monday is amazing.

Out of the box they seemed not to be much better (maybe smoother) then the PX100s. Now the bass has gotten bigger. The overall texture, more sophisticated.

I still like the E500s better, but these are very very nice.

Any no, no amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back