Sennheiser HD595 Impressions Thread
Mar 13, 2007 at 10:13 PM Post #316 of 980
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bizzel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think they feel more flimsy than they really are.

Agreed. The feel flimsy because there is so much plastic that can move and rattle around but I think they are quite strong really.

Mar 13, 2007 at 10:33 PM Post #317 of 980
Quote:

Originally Posted by mirumu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed. The feel flimsy because there is so much plastic that can move and rattle around but I think they are quite strong really.

Also because they want to make the cans as light as possible.
biggrin.gif

Mar 13, 2007 at 10:41 PM Post #318 of 980
Quote:

Originally Posted by penguindude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also because they want to make the cans as light as possible.
biggrin.gif

And they succeeded. I could wear these 'ear cushions' all day.

Mar 14, 2007 at 12:29 AM Post #320 of 980
Afaik there's a two year warranty and they're not likely to argue if you send them back for repair within that period unless there's some really noticeable damage that's not due to a defect.

Mar 14, 2007 at 1:05 AM Post #321 of 980
I've owned a pair of Sennheiser HD-595s since last June and they're the best headphones I've ever owned. For reference, I also own the AKG K 701 headphones and used to own the HD-650 model. I use the Sennheiser PX-100 model with my portable CD player (yes, I still use one!) and the HD-595 model when I'm at home.

I don't really have a fancy setup, but for those that are curious, this is what it looks like.

At home...
  1. Sennheiser HD-595 Premier Headphone
  2. Sony DVPNS75H Single Disc Upscaling DVD Player
  3. Sony STR-DG500 6.1 Channel Home Theater Receiver

On the road...
  1. Sony DNF430 MP3/ATRAC CD Walkman Portable Compact Disc Player
  2. Sennheiser PX-100

Mar 14, 2007 at 4:29 AM Post #322 of 980
to everyone saying they're not flimsy: they are.

i have a pair of 555's myself. after less than 2 years of normal use, the headband gradually cracked until it fully broke. the 595 is made of the same plastic.

be careful with these cans. they sound great but they're built like happy meal toys.

Mar 14, 2007 at 10:25 AM Post #323 of 980
The 555/595 are flimsy. May I suggest a remedy. Before the "arms' crack, or even after they've started cracking (and they will), get a clear, 2-part resin glue and completely coat them (with care, of course). This gives a finish similar to the HD650 and much greater strength.

The glue once applied should be spread evenly and will further even itself out before it dries. It's a great look and should give the Senns years more life.

Be careful not to overdo it and have the glue running and dripping everywhere.
mad.gif

Mar 14, 2007 at 4:43 PM Post #324 of 980
Quote:

Originally Posted by iliketuna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
to everyone saying they're not flimsy: they are.

i have a pair of 555's myself. after less than 2 years of normal use, the headband gradually cracked until it fully broke. the 595 is made of the same plastic.

be careful with these cans. they sound great but they're built like happy meal toys.

R U talking about 280s ?
tongue.gif

Mar 15, 2007 at 4:41 PM Post #326 of 980
Quote:

Originally Posted by john_ops /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is an example of a good glue like this? Did you just coat the arms?

I wouldn't glop glue all over the sliding adjuster bands on the HD595. The adjuster bands aren't even the flex point on the headphones -- that's in the middle piece of the headband.

Given the number of 595 and 555 owners, if this were a widespread problem, you'd be reading threads about repairs every day here on HeadFi.

What's the worst that can happen? At some point in the future -- maybe two years, maybe five years, maybe twenty years -- You buy a replacement headband from Sennheisser?

Mar 16, 2007 at 6:19 AM Post #327 of 980
Quote:

Originally Posted by john_ops /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is an example of a good glue like this? Did you just coat the arms?

Thanks,
J

Any good 2 part resin (clear) glue (probably Bostik). Coat the arms from the height adjuster to where they're hinged to the ear cups--not a huge area. Use a bit of care. You may not end up with a perfect finish, but the arms will end up a lot stronger. Do one arm at a time and make sure as the glue's drying that the arm is horizontal, so you don't get glue running all over the place. Just common sense really.

Oh, and don't stick your fingers together.
wink.gif

Mar 16, 2007 at 6:27 AM Post #328 of 980
Quote:

Originally Posted by hwc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't glop glue all over the sliding adjuster bands on the HD595.

Not sure what the "sliding adjuster bands" are. See above what I'm referring to.

Quote:

The adjuster bands aren't even the flex point on the headphones -- that's in the middle piece of the headband.

I think you're thinking of something else entirely.

Quote:

Given the number of 595 and 555 owners, if this were a widespread problem, you'd be reading threads about repairs every day here on HeadFi.

It's been mentioned a number of times, and the 555/595 series now has a reputation for flimsiness. I was very gentle with my 595s and they broke after two years.

Quote:

What's the worst that can happen? At some point in the future -- maybe two years, maybe five years, maybe twenty years -- You buy a replacement headband from Sennheisser?

If most phones are like mine it could get rather expensive buying a whole new headband/arm assembly every two years. Or perhaps you just have more money than the rest of us.
tongue.gif

Mar 16, 2007 at 6:31 AM Post #329 of 980
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borg166 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've owned a pair of Sennheiser HD-595s since last June and they're the best headphones I've ever owned. For reference, I also own the AKG K 701 headphones and used to own the HD-650 model. I use the Sennheiser PX-100 model with my portable CD player (yes, I still use one!) and the HD-595 model when I'm at home.

I don't really have a fancy setup, but for those that are curious, this is what it looks like.

At home...
  1. Sennheiser HD-595 Premier Headphone
  2. Sony DVPNS75H Single Disc Upscaling DVD Player
  3. Sony STR-DG500 6.1 Channel Home Theater Receiver

On the road...
  1. Sony DNF430 MP3/ATRAC CD Walkman Portable Compact Disc Player
  2. Sennheiser PX-100

With this setup I believe hd595 will easily outperform k701 and probably the hd650 too. Both of those need amplification to shine, but hell, from my experience most things just don't shine enough to justify the difference. I agree, hd595 is a great can, especially for sane folks who just want good sound.

Mar 24, 2007 at 5:47 PM Post #330 of 980
I now realize that the HD595 is the best headphone I own.

I have a history of disliking the headphone due to "muffle:" a lack of clarity, crispness, and air to the sound. It was my introduction to quality headphones, and I was very disappointed in it. Once I got a KSC-35 I hated the HD595, and I eventually went on to getting a K701, which became my main headphone. During that time, I had tried the HD595 every once in a while, and found the "muffled" sound almost intolerable.

Well, I no longer hear it that way - it now sounds very natural, musical, and involving (in every way) to me. It could be the change of source to the Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro (TBAAM) that has made the difference. Now the HD595 is, to me, a beautiful-sounding headphone. The warmth, the sound stage, the euphony, the dynamics - it just all adds up to an extremely enjoyable and moving experience. This is music, what I've been missing while using the K701.

I will from now on use my HD595 to enjoy the experience of music, while using my K701 as my secondary can when I want a different (non-musical) sound. I probably won't use the K701 much at all, since it is such a dead, emotionless and thin headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back