Sennheiser HD595 and Asus Xonar Essence ST
Sep 6, 2010 at 9:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

joms

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm fairly new to the headphone world so I'd like to ask the old timers if the Sennheiser HD595 would work with the Asus Xonar Essence ST sound card? I've heard some people saying something about ohms and such which might not be compatible or something.

Do you think I still need to buy an external amplifier for the HD595 or would the Xonar Essence's amplifier suffice? If so, what would you recommend and how would I connect it? Will this also bypass the Asus Xonar Essence? I'd hate that cause I just purchased the Asus Xonar.

Another thing is, the HD595 would be my best bet for music/gaming right? I plan to use the Zalman ZM-MIC1 clipon mic with it. (Unless you can recommend me a much better mic). I used to look at the Sennheiser PC350 but a lot of bad comments said that it's music quality as well as the comfort factor is FAR from the 595. True?

Thanks in advance.

Sep 7, 2010 at 3:06 AM Post #2 of 16

Quote:
Hi,

I'm fairly new to the headphone world so I'd like to ask the old timers if the Sennheiser HD595 would work with the Asus Xonar Essence ST sound card? I've heard some people saying something about ohms and such which might not be compatible or something.

Do you think I still need to buy an external amplifier for the HD595 or would the Xonar Essence's amplifier suffice? If so, what would you recommend and how would I connect it? Will this also bypass the Asus Xonar Essence? I'd hate that cause I just purchased the Asus Xonar.

Another thing is, the HD595 would be my best bet for music/gaming right? I plan to use the Zalman ZM-MIC1 clipon mic with it. (Unless you can recommend me a much better mic). I used to look at the Sennheiser PC350 but a lot of bad comments said that it's music quality as well as the comfort factor is FAR from the 595. True?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the headphone world, and be assured the HD595 and the Xonar Essense are a match made in heaven!!!
The 595 is a 50 ohm h/p, and the Essence H/P Amp drives them beautifully at the lowest setting.
I wouldn't invest in an external amp for them.
I don't game, but with 20/30 hours burn-in time, they'll put a smile on your face with music.
I've read many posts in the 595 appreciation thread that gamers like them, too.
Comfort factor is Lexus!

Sep 7, 2010 at 6:34 PM Post #4 of 16

Quote:
Don't think about gaming with the 595, the SF5p/TF10 can be put on the same level in that area.
Just get a 555 mod, people say it's the same thing. 

One of the main reasons why I'm considering the 595 is because of comfort. I'm very particular with compfort (as well as sound quality of course). Would you say that the SF5p and the TF10 are as comfortable as the 595s?

Also, does anyone know if the Zalman ZM-MIC1 will work with the 595? As the 595 are "open" type of headphones, will the clip-on mic pick up the sounds that exit the headphones? The clip-on mic will be clipped up high near the headphones.

Sep 7, 2010 at 6:41 PM Post #5 of 16
i have a modded 555 with the soundstage mod.  it basically seperates the driver from a very thin grill piece.  anyways, there is still very minimal sound leakage unless you turn it way up.  i even had them on a very high volume sound, and could barely hear anything other than a few bass hits.  im getting the zalman too, and ive done a little research.  it wont affect the mic having it up that far, trust me.  if i had the resources to attach a boom microphone though, i would do that.  they sound better than the zalman i heard, but the zalman is a good beginner's mic i think.  just wish more people on this forum would post instructions on how to do stuff, rather than semi-blurry pictures.  anyways, it will work fine, just make sure you burn in the headphones at least 100 hours before attaching an amp, i just fixed that guy's problem in another thread.  but i wish i had that sound card with my hd555, i heard it's really good.

Sep 8, 2010 at 6:59 AM Post #6 of 16

Quote:
One of the main reasons why I'm considering the 595 is because of comfort. I'm very particular with compfort (as well as sound quality of course). Would you say that the SF5p and the TF10 are as comfortable as the 595s?

Also, does anyone know if the Zalman ZM-MIC1 will work with the 595? As the 595 are "open" type of headphones, will the clip-on mic pick up the sounds that exit the headphones? The clip-on mic will be clipped up high near the headphones.

Read in context. Unless that's a serious question.

The zalman clipon has never really worked well, those who say it does haven't tried the headset on neck strategy. Touch the base of your jaw, that's where it will end up being. In what direction does sound travel from your mouth? Having a headset sitting on your neck allows the mic part to stick up in front of you, which is better no matter how good the other mic is.

595 vs AD700 is a matter of taste for music, but the AD700 wins clearly for gaming.

Sep 8, 2010 at 1:45 PM Post #8 of 16
Yes and no. Sure, not everyone prefers just one of these for music. But the AD700 is not the clear winner for gaming, and neither is the HD595. Just like with music, not everyone's going to prefer one of these for gaming.  
Quote:

595 vs AD700 is a matter of taste for music, but the AD700 wins clearly for gaming.

Sep 8, 2010 at 2:00 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:
i have a modded 555 with the soundstage mod.  it basically seperates the driver from a very thin grill piece.  anyways, there is still very minimal sound leakage unless you turn it way up.  i even had them on a very high volume sound, and could barely hear anything other than a few bass hits.

Wut? Have you coated your grilles with electrical tape or something? The 595 is entirely open and leaks like anything. I can easily hear the music playing from it if I'm on the other side of the room. Anyone within 20 metres will hear a tinny version of your music at a reasonable volume. With the soundstage mod, leakage should be even worse.

As for gaming, these cans are fantastic. I haven't tried the AD700, but I can attest to brilliant positional audio of the 595. I'll take a good soundstage over surround sound any day :p
I've got my 595s through a kit tube amp ( http://secure.oatleyelectronics.com//product_info.php?products_id=885 ) which gives them a little more oomph and that silky tube smoothness, but that's mainly 'cause I've only got sucky onboard laptop audio. Your sound card should handle them fine - they don't really need an amp, but I like it.

Sep 8, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #10 of 16
Same answer that I gave before, it's a matter of personal preference. The HD595 was one of the most comfortable headphones that I owned. The AD700 was the least properly fitting headphones that I owned, and it was uncomfortable because it pinched at my jaw line. Some don't mind that the AD700 fits loosely on their head and moves around if they move their head around. The AD700 apparently fits others quite nicely and consider the AD700 very comfy. The safer purchase between the two regarding comfort and a proper fit is the HD595 (and HD555).
Quote:
How about for comfort? Who wins between the HD595 and the AD7000?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back