Sennheiser HD565 appreciation and service thread
Feb 3, 2017 at 7:24 PM Post #64 of 154
Thanks for all the information on restoring my muched loved HD 565's bought in 1998 they are now sounding and feeling as good as they did when I bought them. I've tried many Headphones in Stores over the Years but never got anything to match these in sound and comfort and now I don't have to so Thanks again Guys for all the hints and tips.

Dec 18, 2017 at 9:03 AM Post #65 of 154
Hi all,

My Cousin used to work in an audio/video store back in the early 90's. Sennheiser have them a pair of HD565 to demo. This thing looks exactly the same except that it has little clips running up along the headphone for the cable. The left and right meet at the top of the headband where they go into a block that is screwed into the headband. You then have a coiled cable with 1/4" plug and a converter. I have tried them and they sound great. Was wondering if anyone knew if these demo versions are/were the same or if they were built more ruggedly etc...

Also, as I plan to repair them and replace the pads, does anyone know if the HD650 headband would replace the HD565 headband? Not the foam, but the actual headband? Will the metal bracket expanding arms, (I don't know what they're called lol) attached to the ear cups fit into the 650?

Any information greatly appreciated.

Dec 27, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #67 of 154
On to restoring my second set of HD565's now. yay!
HD650 capsules swapped into the first set along with pads and cable. Sound a-maaaaazing!
Ordered some HD600 capsules, pads and cable from Sennheiser direct for the second set.
The anticipation....
IMG_20171226_205751.jpg

Dec 31, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #68 of 154
I hope no one minds a pair of HD545 on here too as they are pretty much the same except for the outer grill being plastic instead of metal.
I just picked up a pair of the ear pieces on eBay for $9.99 missing the cable and headband. I have plenty of cables and just so happen to have a complete HD525 frame just missing the drivers. Snapped on the upper frame from the 525s and a cable from a pair of HD580s. WOW!! I have been listening to them comparing to my 580s and can not believe how much more dynamic these are. All the detail of the 580 but wider and deeper soundstage and more presence. I am using a Schiit Vali 2 amp and wonder how much better the 580 might be if they scale with an OTL amp.

N7VzQeP.jpg

Feb 3, 2018 at 2:18 AM Post #69 of 154
Guys, help me please! I managed to pull of the plastic lock according to trulove's instruction - I pushed the metal band the way he said + pushed the outer edge of plastic band, and it somehow pushed out the plastic lock. Wasn't easy! Definitely less friendly than on HD600.

But after you're done with replacing headband - how do you install the plastic lock back?! It's way to large to pop back in. It has even more plastic add-ons on the sides, I marked them as A and B, with them it's not possible to
expand the plastic outer edges wide enough for the lock to slide in. Should you really try that way, till the end? The pressure would be colossal and I'm afraid to crack the plastic headband. Please, confirm this is the way to do this. Maybe I don't see something obvious... Thanks.

P.S. A link to MDR30's instruction with pictures, just in case.

_a37b65e6ad0bfef2f2d9e65437bfee3e.png

May 19, 2018 at 4:45 PM Post #70 of 154
I have had this [HD265] (along with the hd565, hd545, hd535, hd525, hd580, and hd600). These sound very different probably due to the closed design. They were easier to driver, had very nice bass but nice range extending into the treble. Actually one of the best closed back headphones I have owned, and easily the best Sennheiser closed headphone i have heard. I regret selling mine and still hope to find another at a good price!
Yes, the HD265 are the best headphones I've owned. Luckily I still have mine. Very flat and clean, and can be driven loud without distortion. I've tried to find something similar these days but no chance (it seems most stuff now, even very high priced, isn't linear - the bass is either severly lacking or flubby - and the highs are over-accentuated (which isn't accurate for reference purposes, and also fatiguing)).

In any case, aside from the technical, nothing quite sounds as good or has the oomph of the HD265 (but I'm still open to suggestions). The Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro's probably come closest for me. I use them mostly because the HD265s may not be repairable in future and seem hard to come by...

May 19, 2018 at 6:15 PM Post #71 of 154
Guys, help me please! I managed to pull of the plastic lock according to trulove's instruction - I pushed the metal band the way he said + pushed the outer edge of plastic band, and it somehow pushed out the plastic lock. Wasn't easy! Definitely less friendly than on HD600.

But after you're done with replacing headband - how do you install the plastic lock back?! It's way to large to pop back in. It has even more plastic add-ons on the sides, I marked them as A and B, with them it's not possible to
expand the plastic outer edges wide enough for the lock to slide in. Should you really try that way, till the end? The pressure would be colossal and I'm afraid to crack the plastic headband. Please, confirm this is the way to do this. Maybe I don't see something obvious... Thanks.
I guess this reply is way too late now...sorry about that. How did it work out for you? Did you get it in finally?

For me, I think I just put it back the same way as I took it out. I was just reusing the same plastic piece, so it wasn't any larger.

I think if you tried to slide both tabs in from the end with everything level like in your pic it might be difficult. You'd have to stretch both sides of the band outwards at the same time, etc.

Instead, look at the picture in my post. I had it coming out at an angle (neither level nor straight). So do that in reverse, i.e. try going in at an angle so only one tab goes in completely first. Then push down on the other side (to level it) and twist it inwards at the same time (to straighten it). With a bit of gentle force the tab on that side should snap into place too. You might need to pull outwards on the band to make some extra room if it's still not going in easily.

Don't worry, I didn't feel like the headband was going to break (it's pretty flexible). But just in case, make sure your room isn't too cold or the plastic might be more brittle.

May 19, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #72 of 154
Hey! It's never too late when dealing with precious information, that's not available anywhere else. Thank you, truelove! Although MDR30 already assisted me with this matter and I think it will be good to publish his tutorial here, so here it is:

Something wrong with Head-Fi tonight, can't find my own 565 page.

Couldn't find the old pics, took some new.

1. Dissasemble the plastic lock from the metal band. That you do by inserting a thin blade beeen plastic piece and the metal band, then gently pull the pieces apart.
Senn%20headband%20assembly%20B.jpg

Use the knife and press the spring down with your finger.

Senn%20headband%20assembly%20D.jpg

Before you put the headband band pad in place, check that the pair of tracks are good (one for the pad, one for the metal band). You first put the plastic lock in place, pressing down from the inside (not the end) to the outside. The plastic is flexible.

Senn%20headband%20assembly%20F.jpg

Then you insert the metal band into the lock/headband, carefully so it finds it tracks (can usually be done by moving it out and in).

Senn%20headband%20assembly%20G.jpg

Work is done.

May 19, 2018 at 6:42 PM Post #73 of 154
Hey, since this thread was brought back to life - I'm new to headphones of that sound quality level and was using Philips SHP1900 for a really long time. Yes, they are very cheap, but I think they have a linear type of sound. Not so much clarity of course as expensive headphones, but they do not exaggerate bass or anything else, you know how some cheap headphones do. Just linear sound, maybe muddy in terms of hearing every instrument and all these stuff...

Anyway! My question: is this just my pair or do HD565 make some very weird accent on vocals? I mean sibilants like S and tʃ. On some tracks it's like a knife against the glass :frowning2: The rest(instruments) sound very good and clear. Could it be a very selective driver defect(because obviously I bought a used pair, maybe they were affected by something over the years) or it's just poorly recorded albums?

Jul 2, 2018 at 8:01 AM Post #74 of 154
Hey, since this thread was brought back to life - I'm new to headphones of that sound quality level and was using Philips SHP1900 for a really long time. Yes, they are very cheap, but I think they have a linear type of sound. Not so much clarity of course as expensive headphones, but they do not exaggerate bass or anything else, you know how some cheap headphones do. Just linear sound, maybe muddy in terms of hearing every instrument and all these stuff...

Anyway! My question: is this just my pair or do HD565 make some very weird accent on vocals? I mean sibilants like S and tʃ. On some tracks it's like a knife against the glass :frowning2: The rest(instruments) sound very good and clear. Could it be a very selective driver defect(because obviously I bought a used pair, maybe they were affected by something over the years) or it's just poorly recorded albums?
Hello.

What are you listening to when you are noticing the sibilance? Also, from what source?

I have two pairs and haven't ever thought this about them. That made me wonder the above.

Jul 6, 2018 at 9:15 AM Post #75 of 154
Hello.

What are you listening to when you are noticing the sibilance? Also, from what source?

I have two pairs and haven't ever thought this about them. That made me wonder the above.

Hello.

I made a FLAC file with examples of noticeable moments from different tracks, listening to which I am hearing very unpleasant sibilants with my pair of HD565. All tracks sourced from original CDs. My audio interface is E-MU 0404 USB with HD565 plugged directly to it.

Please, take a listen (probably better to avoid the preview and download the FLAC file to a computer). https://www.dropbox.com/s/fg2jil199zcfakn/Sennheiser HD565 Sibilants Audio Test.flac?dl=0
And tell, if you hear disturbing sibilants.

List of tracks used in chronological order:

Depeche Mode - Home: "...for SHowing me home..."

Moby - Porcelain: "...kaleidoScopic mind... to hurT you..."

Nine Inch Nails - God Break Down the Door: "...and puSH it back in..."

a-ha - Summer Moved On: "...Summer moved..."

Монеточка - Ночной ларёк: "...ya vySHel iz doma..."

Serge Gainsbourg - Lemon Incest: "...ma CHair et mon Sang..."

Beck - Sing It Again: "...Some accident..."

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back