Sennheiser HD558 impressions / review
Mar 29, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #91 of 144
Wow! You have quite a system! I merely use an iPad 3 or iPhone 4S through a CCK to an Aune T1 DAC (tube buffer)/amp to the 558s. They allow me to listen in my living room without disturbing everyone. Post a picture when you can. This is my modest set up.

Apr 12, 2014 at 8:10 AM Post #95 of 144
I would suggest something else. There are many newer and better hp that sound better than 558 at around the same price...

but it kind of depends on what one defines as 'better'
M50 could be arguably better too.

Apr 12, 2014 at 9:47 AM Post #97 of 144
  but it kind of depends on what one defines as 'better'
M50 could be arguably better too.

What you said correct because it all depends on whose ears are listening, everyone is different.  I responded earlier that I use the HD558, my daughter on the other hand preferred the M50's!   Nothing wrong with her choice, she likes them, this is why I suggested a person needs to sample as many headphones as they can to get what they really like and not what someone else likes.  Those M50's are a good deal for a headphone, superior, in my opinion of course, than $200 Beats Studio headphones and for around $50 less on top of it.   I have listened to the M50's and they do have a strong bass response, but I find it a bit over boosted compared to the HD588 that has a tight sounding accurate bass...again that is just my opinion based on what my ears like.  I think if someone is into that real deep pounding bass you get from rap and techno music like my daughter likes (she doesn't like rap though) the M50's would probably be one of the few I would listen to for comparison because the bass response is not muddy nor does it wash out the mid range as much as others I've heard, nor makes the high frequency shrill to compensate for the booming bass,  It does however have a slightly recessed mid range that makes the sound stage not quite as dramatic as the HD588's, but it still had a better sound stage than others I've heard.  I also observed between the two that watching movies with the HD588 is just plain superior over the M50's due to the ability of the HD588's to fake some sort of resemblance to surround sound effects, and they continue that superiority with any music that used surround sound effects, and especially live recordings where more surround sound effects are usually employed more.

By the way the M50's come with either a straight cord called M50 or a coiled cord called the M50s, so make sure you get the cord you want by getting the right model.

If you really want a low cost headphone that still sounds decent you can pick up a pair of Koss Portapro that will sound better or as good as any phone under $150 retail (I say retail because the M50's retail for about $200 but can be found on sale for $140, so I'm using retail for guideline, probably best headphone for under $130 sale priced) for just $37 range!  their foam ear pads don't last long but you can get 3 pair of them for $4.  My daughter had these for awhile until she graduated to the M50's.  I listened to them when she bought them almost snickering because I thought they would be junk, but I was surprised at how well they sounded.  They don't have that deep booming bass like the M50's and the soundstage is not as open as the HD588's nor is the mid and high response as detailed as either the M50's or the HD588's but they did sound surprisingly very good compared to other low cost headphones.  She now uses the Portapro when she's at school and the M50's at home so as not to damage or "lose" the M50's.

Also keep in mind that no matter what headphone you buy they will require about 5 to 6 hours of "burn in" time to get the sound to become it's best.

I'm sorry some of this I mentioned earlier but thought was worth while summarizing since the M50's subject came up.

Apr 12, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #98 of 144
Yeah my dad has some old sennheiser and i really like the sound, they are tight and they have lasted him a long time.

So i am probs going for the hd 558.

Again, what is 'burn in' time... Is it just the amount of time that music is played through them to make them sound good or...???

Apr 12, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #99 of 144
someone asked about what is burn in mean then I guess they deleted the msg since I don't see it, it just simply means to play music through them at normal volume, it does not mean drench them with gasoline and take a lit match to it...unless you want to!

Apr 12, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #100 of 144
People say headphones sound better with some use rather than fresh out of the box. Existence of burn in is in constant debate.
I however from personal experience have witnessed burn in with a friend's Goldring DR150. I was modding his 1 day old headphones, and I was in a constant struggle with the piercing sharp treble spike as I experimented with the fabrics. One week later I met him again to do more modding, to my surprise the treble spike wasn't nearly as ear piercing as when it was fresh, it was almost gone. So I ended up removing the treble damping cloth and foam material.

In short: burn in is basically regular use, normally resulting in reduced treble. Is it cause of the driver diaphragm or the earpad? I do not know just yet. Both affect the sound tremendously.

Apr 14, 2014 at 3:35 AM Post #102 of 144
Hello,

Recently started looking for a nice upgrade to my 11 year old HD497's and that would take advantage of my Asrock motherboard's "Purity Sound". Man, when I first put them on and started listening, I thought for sure I'd have them back in the box within 10 minutes. I was skeptical when researching headphones, but I'm now a believer of a burn in period. These things sounded awful at first. The bass was bleeding so bad it created this haze (or veil) over everything else. But now after 4 days and about 20 hours, these things sound like a different headphone. Bass has tightened up a lot, mids and highs are nice and clear. There's still some slight bleeding on certain songs, but nothing like it was at first.

I don't think these lack bass, as long as you're running them with an amp. A little while after I had them, I tried the rear, non amped jack to see how they sounded. It did help a bit with the bleeding, but it also killed the bass. What there was left of it lost most of the details it had so I plugged them in the front again. But even amped, these aren't going to make your eyes rattle around when the bass kicks in. And for me, that's exactly what I wanted. Good bass when there should be and not be over done. Granted I'm a newb to most of this and what I have to compare these to is quite limited.

But, I'm quite happy with these and wanted to say thank you to anyone that's reviewed/commented/compared these headphones. Haha, I did far more reading than I thought I was going to do and changed my mind about a half dozen times on which ones to get. So, thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back