Sennheiser HD558 impressions / review
Mar 22, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #16 of 144

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbigpr /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Try this:    http://www.burninwave.com/download/freq20.wav

Cant hear it AT ALL on HD558.

Hd212 pro plugged into same source, can clearly head the bass rumbling.

Off-topic... would it be common to be able to hear 15Hz tone? I tested that sample 15Hz on the site and was suprised to actually hear the low frequency humming and at normal volume levels (but it was heard very faint ofc), I thought I'd perhaps hear some distortion or whatever from the recording but when I tested the 10Hz it was completely silent for me at least like no sound was played.

Any place to get 14 and 13Hz sample files?

Mar 23, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #17 of 144

Quote:
Off-topic... would it be common to be able to hear 15Hz tone? I tested that sample 15Hz on the site and was suprised to actually hear the low frequency humming and at normal volume levels (but it was heard very faint ofc), I thought I'd perhaps hear some distortion or whatever from the recording but when I tested the 10Hz it was completely silent for me at least like no sound was played.

Any place to get 14 and 13Hz sample files?

You can use a Test Tone Generator for this. Here : http://www.esseraudio.com/test-tone-generator-windows-software-generate-test-signal-sine-pink-noise-crest-factor.html

Mar 25, 2011 at 1:24 PM Post #19 of 144
Well I've heard how it sounds like with 12" and 15" subwoofers and it didn't sound much different with the XB500, the low humming that I heard sounded very similar and clean and 30Hz tone sounds quite different and more audible.

Let's not forget we're talking about Sony XB500 as XB500 and XB700 (and maybe XB1000) are the headphones with probably the best bass extension around, I know graphs doesn't tell much about the quality but when you get near flat response down to 10Hz it tells SOMETHING at least (DT880 was just included as a more neutral headphone comparision).

Would be nice if Dave Rat could test XB500 or XB700 on his equipment ^^: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHkb4bhdnRA - There you see already Denon D2000 at 5:30 forward produce rather clean bass output at least down to 20Hz.

My school got similar equipment in the labs, might have to sneak in there with my XB500 xD.

Kloug> Thx for the recommendation! Just what I needed.

EDIT: Looks like 14~15Hz (difficult to say about 14Hz but 15Hz is rather obvious) is really the last note that I can hear somewhat without increasing volume conciderably at least, meaning the low frequency itself (not the distortion that doesn't sound costant but more like air moving or possibly distortion etc which is more easily heard/felt at this point but this is not what I'm relating to when I state I "hear it").

Apr 11, 2011 at 2:50 AM Post #21 of 144
I always step over the cracks myself. I'm superstitious that way.

atsmile.gif

Apr 11, 2011 at 10:50 AM Post #23 of 144
They are fixing them, aren't they? Here's the official announcement.

Originally Posted by Rosmadi Mahmood 

Quote:

Here in Sennheiser, our products need to pass through stringent quality tests before they are released to the market. However, there may be instances where a small batch of products may still suffer some undesired quality issues. In this case, we've heard of customers writing in about cracks on their HD 598 headbands. But this does not mean that all units of HD 598 that we've produced will crack after a few days of usage.

Nevertheless, we've decided to act on this by changing the material to improve and make it even better. And you may rest assure that we'll stand by our 2-year warranty claim. So long as you bring in your HD 598 with your receipt / proof of purchase to our service centres, we'll provide you with a replacement unit. 

Cheers!

Apr 11, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #24 of 144

Quote:
They are fixing them, aren't they? Here's the official announcement.

Originally Posted by Rosmadi Mahmood 

Quote:

Here in Sennheiser, our products need to pass through stringent quality tests before they are released to the market. However, there may be instances where a small batch of products may still suffer some undesired quality issues. In this case, we've heard of customers writing in about cracks on their HD 598 headbands. But this does not mean that all units of HD 598 that we've produced will crack after a few days of usage.

Nevertheless, we've decided to act on this by changing the material to improve and make it even better. And you may rest assure that we'll stand by our 2-year warranty claim. So long as you bring in your HD 598 with your receipt / proof of purchase to our service centres, we'll provide you with a replacement unit. 

Cheers!

my nearest sennheiser service depo is in quebec and im in the Toronto area, do the math 20 bucks of shipping for a student without a job is a lot, and that is assuming they give the same treatment for the hd 558's

Apr 11, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #25 of 144
Hi ak47-whaaa

I've replied to your PM on this earlier. 

Anyway, as long as you've purchased your HD 558 from an authorised dealer and bring along your proof of purchase to the service centre, you should have no problems getting a replacement unit.

Quote:
my nearest sennheiser service depo is in quebec and im in the Toronto area, do the math 20 bucks of shipping for a student without a job is a lot, and that is assuming they give the same treatment for the hd 558's

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Jul 29, 2011 at 4:12 AM Post #26 of 144
Hello!!!!  

I am 59 years old  and I can hear the bass rumbling very clear and detailed through the HD558s, with only the on-board sound card that came with my Lenovo Idea Centre K210.  I do not have a headphone amp hooked up yet.  The volume level is only moderate at best with the on-board sound card.  I have not done the HD 598 mod.  I only got these a couple of days ago and they only have a 3 - 4 hours of burn in.

I also tried the "freq20.wav" tone with my 6 year old Audio-Technica M40fs and I could hear it with them also.  However, I must say that with the HD 558s the tone was louder and more warm, rounded, full and detailed.

On my Sennheiser PC146 headset, it sounds more like a low rapid-click sound.

With all due respect, try one of the online hearing tests or go to your audiologist and see if there may be some frequency loss.

It is very common now due to environmental sources and the fact that we have burned our ears by listening at too high volumes. 

I hope you find this to be a helpful reference and not offensive.

Maybe I will be considered an "old annoyance" here, but I felt that I should let you guys know that I do hear it clearly.

Jul 31, 2011 at 7:39 PM Post #27 of 144

Quote:
Hello!!!!  

I am 59 years old  and I can hear the bass rumbling very clear and detailed through the HD558s, with only the on-board sound card that came with my Lenovo Idea Centre K210.  I do not have a headphone amp hooked up yet.  The volume level is only moderate at best with the on-board sound card.  I have not done the HD 598 mod.  I only got these a couple of days ago and they only have a 3 - 4 hours of burn in.

I also tried the "freq20.wav" tone with my 6 year old Audio-Technica M40fs and I could hear it with them also.  However, I must say that with the HD 558s the tone was louder and more warm, rounded, full and detailed.

On my Sennheiser PC146 headset, it sounds more like a low rapid-click sound.

With all due respect, try one of the online hearing tests or go to your audiologist and see if there may be some frequency loss.

It is very common now due to environmental sources and the fact that we have burned our ears by listening at too high volumes. 

I hope you find this to be a helpful reference and not offensive.

Maybe I will be considered an "old annoyance" here, but I felt that I should let you guys know that I do hear it clearly.

The moderate volume was a bit of a surprise for me as most sound cards (even integrated) should be able to handle the 558's.

The difference you heard in bass would be due to the difference in frequency response, the 558 and the M40fs both have a relatively balanced frequency response. The clicks from the PC146 should be due to the combination of lack of response from lower tones and your trying to force those tones out of the headphones either due to a bass boost option, the sound signature of your sound card or because of the general balance of the song.

As for your audio test, my current audio test is a general frequency sweep to see which frequencies i can hear or have problems with so hardware will not play as much of an effect on the result of the test.

Aug 4, 2011 at 6:45 AM Post #29 of 144
I got them in a shop, they're quite common in my country, its easy to buy them. I guess you can get them on amazon or ebay as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back