Sennheiser HD555 vs HD458 vs HD280 Pro or Others
Nov 2, 2010 at 6:19 AM Post #31 of 44
I like the HD598 very much so I think Ill go with that. Anyone knows where to purchase it online for USA?

I searched and couldnt find a site that sells it. If not available finally Ill go for the HD 595 or 598 if thats available

Nov 3, 2010 at 7:42 AM Post #34 of 44
Just to let you know, you have to use an amp to get the most out of your HD555/595/598. I have a pair of HD555's and they sound horrible straight out of my iPod Classic's jack. I just use a entry-level cmoy and that makes a night and day difference to the whole soundstage.

Nov 3, 2010 at 8:21 AM Post #36 of 44

Quote:
Just to let you know, you have to use an amp to get the most out of your HD555/595/598. I have a pair of HD555's and they sound horrible straight out of my iPod Classic's jack. I just use a entry-level cmoy and that makes a night and day difference to the whole soundstage.

Do I need an amp to a computer?

Nov 3, 2010 at 7:46 PM Post #37 of 44
Erazer007 - Yes, they would be worse than the 202's if your player can't supply enough power, if it puts out as much as my classic (32ohms I think) the HD555's will definately struggle compared to the efficient 202's. Which is why you need an amp (if the player isn't powerful enough) to get the most out of the 555's.

Rasmutte - It depends on your soundcard, if it's half-decent you shouldn't need an amp for them.

Nov 4, 2010 at 4:17 AM Post #39 of 44

Quote:
It's a MacBook Pro 15" mid 2010 .

Dunno what soundcard it has... I think it's a "Intel HD" sound card.
Is that good? :s

To be honest I can't really say, I've only just gotten into the whole headphone thing myself. The reason I said a "half-decent" soundcard would get the job done is because my stock (Asus) soundcard does just fine. Going by the year of your Macbook (and the fact it's a high end model) it should be a more than ample card. 

Nov 4, 2010 at 4:23 AM Post #41 of 44
If you're not happy with the RealTek I'd recommend an iBasso D2+ or possibly a FiiO E7, both can be used as a DAC (external soundcard for your laptop) as well as a portable amp you can travel with. It all depends on your budget and what you're planning to use the amp for.

Nov 9, 2010 at 1:01 PM Post #44 of 44

Quote:
To be honest I can't really say, I've only just gotten into the whole headphone thing myself. The reason I said a "half-decent" soundcard would get the job done is because my stock (Asus) soundcard does just fine. Going by the year of your Macbook (and the fact it's a high end model) it should be a more than ample card. 

Okay, thanks anyway!

Someone else who knows?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back