Sennheiser HD555 vs HD458 vs HD280 Pro or Others
Oct 31, 2010 at 1:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

erazer007

New Head-Fier
Hello Everyone,

Need your help regarding headphones. Im looking to purchase a new headphone within the price of 100-150 dollars.

I've had a look at the Sennheiser HD555 and Im currently using an HD202.

Im looking for good detailing. Like being able to hear low and high too. Like youre able to notice certain sounds in songs and movies through headphones whereas theyre not so evident through speakers.

Bass is ok even if its on the higher end as long as it doesnt compromise the detail and quality.

It should be at least slight comfortable.

I just started researching the HD 555 and people are saying since it's open back, the sound goes out as well. So does that mean that equal sound goes out or just a small portion? How would it compare to the HD 202 that im currently using.

Also would that mean I need to listen at a higher volume to hear properly as compared to a closed back one?

How does the HD555 compare to the HD458? And finally is the HD 280 good?

I was looking at Sennheisers only becuase I quite liked the HD 202. I've heard Denon, Shure and Grado etc are good too. So if there are any better headsets in the same price category please let me know.

Thanks a lot!

Nov 1, 2010 at 3:31 AM Post #4 of 44
The 555 is nice pair of headphones and will be an upgrade to your 202. What kind of music do you listen to and what are you plugging these into?

Nov 1, 2010 at 3:37 AM Post #5 of 44
Slaughter! Thanks a lot for the reply.

I will mostly be plugging it into my laptop, a Toshiba A200. And sometimes even into phones to listen to music.

I will be using it mainly for Music and Movies.

Music is not limited to a specific genre. I listen to all kinds as long as they sound good to me. If you are asking about the quality then its MP3 format 320KBPS

Movies are mostly DVD Rips and HD Rips.

Thanks

Nov 1, 2010 at 4:21 AM Post #8 of 44

Quote:
Welcome to Head-Fi. 

FWIR, I suggest considering the SRH750DJ < search Head-Fi for posts about it. 

Quote:
You should buy a grado 1/4' to 1/8' adapter, the included one is crap.
You could also consider the AD700, research it.

The HD555 comes with 6.3 to 3.5mm adaptor right?

Ok so now to narrow things down, among the Sennheisers which is the best? After that I guess we can compare with the Denon and the Shure

Nov 1, 2010 at 4:29 AM Post #9 of 44
What type of environment would you be using them in?

HD555 is pretty much strictly for quiet environment use, but it does what you need to do really well at a very cheap price.

If you need something for portable use, I would recommend you find something else.

Nov 1, 2010 at 4:32 AM Post #10 of 44
I will be using it at home mostly in a room. Its quiet. Slight noise at times maybe but nothing too loud. Not looking to use it outdoors

Im worried about the open back. Is that an issue? People say the sound goes out as well. So does that mean that equal sound goes out or just a small portion? How would it compare to the HD 202 that im currently using.
Also would that mean I need to listen at a higher volume to hear properly as compared to a closed back one?

Nov 1, 2010 at 4:39 AM Post #11 of 44
If you use the HD555 at home and HD202 on the go, I don't really see a problem with the combination.

You wouldn't need to turn the volume up any higher than a closed-back, I actually find myself lowering the volume with my HD555.

I think they are better for movies than music though, but I still believe a modded one is probably the best bang-for-the-buck open headphones for now.

Nov 1, 2010 at 4:51 AM Post #13 of 44

Quote:
 After that I guess we can compare with the Denon and the Shure

There's only one in your price range, and it's the 555. The 595 is the same as the 555 after modding. The other sennheisers you mentioned are quite bad.
It's the audio technica ad700 not denon ah-d7000, which is ~$500.

AD700 is more comfortable in my opinion, with more detail. It is tilted towards the high end, which when combined with its enormous soundstage gives it an airy sound. Bass is light, which contributes to this. You can equalize the quantity up, but it will not be very impactful.

The HD555 is still very comfortable, but doesn't have the feather light feeling of the ad700. It is quite balanced in sound, but has a 3 blob soundstage (L/C/R). It sounds more natural than the ad700, which has forward mids. They need a bit of equalizing to sound more natural, and can be easily modded to the 595 by removing the foam. Just youtube 555. 

Both are open, which means about 70-90% of the sound that you hear will be going outside. If you put them on your desk, you can use them as pseudo speakers. At safe listening levels, you would probably hear it if you are in the same room. If the door is closed, no one outside will hear your headphones. You will hear 95% of outside noise, but a significant drop in high frequency sounds such as a pressure cooker (hssssssssssssss). You CANNOT take them outside; they are for desk/lounge use only.

Hopefully you've decided whether you need open headphones or not.

Nov 1, 2010 at 4:53 AM Post #14 of 44
HD 458 has been discontinued, so I have no experience with them.

280, 840, and 750DJ are all closed back. They won't have as much soundstage as HD555 or AD700.

It really depends on what your primary use is, if you want them more oriented for music, pick either the 840 or 750DJ. If you are more interested in movies, HD555 would be the better choice.

Also, the 840 and 750 are fairly heavy and wouldn't be as comfortable for long usage, maybe that will be another decision factor.

The mod I'm talking about is the soundstage mod, just do a search on HD555 soundstage mod.

Nov 1, 2010 at 4:57 AM Post #15 of 44
I guess I can push the price upto 200 dollars max if the phones are worth it.

I guess Ill go for the open ones as I'll be keeping my HD202 as well so can use that in case theres too much noise. Apart from the external noise and sound going out, do the open phones provide better audio quality?

So I guess we can rule out the other two and fix the HD555 from Sennheiser.

Any other phones from other brands to compete against the HD555s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back