Sennheiser HD555 vs HD458 vs HD280 Pro or Others
Nov 1, 2010 at 5:05 AM Post #16 of 44
The answer would pretty much be the same unless you are willing to buy an amp with the headphones.

Open headphones sounds a lot like listening through stereos, but you can hear more details.

Closed backs makes you closer to the music, and the music would sound softer and more colored. 

It really depends on your preference, there really isn't a better or worse when it comes to open vs closed.

Nov 1, 2010 at 5:08 AM Post #17 of 44
Hmm. I think ill go with the open backed ones then. At least I can experience something new.

So which among the open backed ones is the best within 200 dollars?

Are these amps any good? http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-E5-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B001P9EQH8/ref=pd_bxgy_e_text_c

Nov 1, 2010 at 5:11 AM Post #19 of 44
Ok so no to AMPs then. Will just be using the headphones alone.

So between the Sennheiser HD555, Audio Technica AD700 and the Shure SRH840 or SRH750? Which one would you pick?

Nov 1, 2010 at 5:39 AM Post #21 of 44
Oh just noticed the Shures arent open.

Ill stick with Open.

Yea thats why I checked with the Senns first.

Ok. So between the Senn HD555 and AT AD700? ALso I will be using this for long periods everyday. At least 4 hours even over 10 hours some days.

So it has to be comfortable as well.

Nov 1, 2010 at 7:44 AM Post #22 of 44
You should consider the MS1. Strike it out because of the comfort issues, but at least consider.

Both should be wearable for 4 hours. The AD700 I have personally worn for 14 hours, on many occasions (school holidays woot). Of course not in a row, but with minimal breaks in between. So far the HD555 feels good. 2 hours is easy, but that's the limit of my own personal experience. You could probably go 8+ if you don't mind the force. Put it this way, the AD700 is holding your arm out straight in front if you holding 5 coins. The HD555 is, relative to the 700, around 8 coins. K702 is like 20 coins. It's light and you won't feel a lot.

One last word about build, they both are at least satisfactory, but the HD555 fails in my eyes because of reports of cracking (google). The AD700 feels less solid and creaks, but it will never break. There's just no weak point, whereas the extending part of the headphone cups can crack in the 555. Both should last a long time if you treat them well. I'm personally meticulous about all my gear so I dismissed it.

Nov 1, 2010 at 8:58 AM Post #23 of 44
Hmm. The specs of the AD700 seem good. It's just the design thats a bit dull. Any Denon phones I should consider?

What about the Audio between 555 and the 700?

Which has more bass, better clarity, detail etc?

Nov 1, 2010 at 5:50 PM Post #25 of 44
I have never heard the ad-700s but I have read a lot about them, I do own the 555s though. All I can say is go for the 555s! They have more bass so if there were say an explosion in the movie it would feel more lifelike. I just watched 'The Road' the other day in blue-ray, and all I can say is wow, they sounded better than my bro's $500 surround system. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the ad-700 geared more towards gamers? I suppose if you wanted something that was an all-rounder go with the 555s, and if you wanted something with a huge sound stage than get the ad-700? but yeah 555 = more bass. good luck with your search!

Nov 1, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #28 of 44
This is why you don't read all the 5 star reviews on amazon and then think the product is actually good.
Quote:
I have never heard the ad-700s but I have read a lot about them, I do own the 555s though. All I can say is go for the 555s! They have more bass so if there were say an explosion in the movie it would feel more lifelike. I just watched 'The Road' the other day in blue-ray, and all I can say is wow, they sounded better than my bro's $500 surround system. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the ad-700 geared more towards gamers? I suppose if you wanted something that was an all-rounder go with the 555s, and if you wanted something with a huge sound stage than get the ad-700? but yeah 555 = more bass. good luck with your search!

There is ample information from others, especially me, that will enable you to make a decision. Just read my short comparison of them again. In summary: detail and air=ad700. Bass=hd555.
=2661&graphID[]=563]http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=2661&graphID[]=563

Nov 2, 2010 at 5:24 AM Post #30 of 44

Quote:
Whats the difference between the HD555 and the 558s? Also how much does the HD598 cost? Is it just the HD595 in another colour scheme? I like the white colour and design.

http://www.headfonia.com/old-and-new-hd555-hd558-hd598/
Read this!

In Sweden the price is $272 with shipping for the HD 598.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back