Sennheiser HD448 ($100) vs ATH-A700 ($110)
Jan 23, 2010 at 3:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

MoData

New Head-Fier
Since these are around the same price, any recommendations?

Jan 23, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #2 of 10
There are whole bunch of other headphones that you can pick from in that price range. Why don't you expand a bit on the type of music listen too or what you expect from these headphones?

Jan 26, 2010 at 1:54 AM Post #3 of 10
Mostly Rock. Some Jazz, classical, Pop, and HipHop.

Jan 26, 2010 at 3:19 AM Post #4 of 10
Shure SRH-440, AT ATH-M50, and Denon D1001 are also commonly recommended for closed phones in that price range.

Jan 26, 2010 at 4:00 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shure SRH-440, AT ATH-M50, and Denon D1001 are also commonly recommended for closed phones in that price range.

Nuff said!

I would do some research on the above phones, unless you like the Sennheiser sound signature (although I've heard the 448 is different because it has less bass than normal Sennheiser phones). If you listen to a lot of classical, the A700s would be good, but since it's mostly rock, you may be interested in the $90 (through eBay dealers) ATH-M50.

Jan 10, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #6 of 10
i know this is an old thread but i'd like to revive this.. i have the same problem.. 

it seems like the ath-a700s are better than the 448s? i mean based on separate reviews.. i haven't seem them go toe to toe in a review though. what do you guys think? i'm trying t choose between these 2. and please don't suddenly pop in and say "ATH AD700 is better" because we're talking about closed cans here 

Jan 10, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #7 of 10
As i only heard the HD 448 from the two, i can't tell you that these are the better option, or instead the Audio Technica's, as i stand 50% chances to get it wrong. So there will be no recommendation.
happy_face1.gif

I can tell you the HD 448 is doing very nicely on vocal stuff, live recordings and string recordings.

Some reviewrs are saying they have no bass at all. I wouldn't say they don't have, it is just so shy. It never goes over the mids or highs, it always remains a background additon, but in certain songs, on certain instruments like a bass guitar or a double bass it can go pretty low, much more than you'd expect after listening to modern music.

I was listening today to Tom Waits and i was pleasantly surprised how nicely the guitar sounded. Definitely not expected knowing these are not bass heavy. As long as you listen to actual recordings, made from human voices and a band, orchestra with real instruments etc, these are very enjoyable cans for their price, but not doing exceptionally well on modern "made on PC" songs, where they sound just too flat.

Jan 10, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #8 of 10
Oddly enough I've been looking at both recently as well. Would love some more input on both of these headphones. Looking to buy a pair for a friend of mine who isn't necessarily an audiophile, but I'm trying to steer her away from getting Dr Dre or Bose headphones...

Here are some specifics on her needs:
  1. very little sound leakage
  2. comfortable for smaller heads (i hear the ATH-A700's aren't well suited for this)
  3. will be using them at the office and needs them for her ipod/iphone, so output as far is the amp is concerned will be low.
  4. music styles - classical, acoustic, indie alternative, house/electronica

or would you guys recommend spending a little more on a better pair?
i hear the b&w p5's are nice, but a bit more than I want to spend right now.

Jan 10, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #9 of 10
The HD 448 might not be brilliant suited for smaller heads either. They are very comfortable for me, but they are very lose. While they don't fall on moving, they don't press too much. So little that you forget you have them. While i like this from a comfort point of view, i feel i lose some bass cause of it. If i only put my hands on the cups, without pushing them, and the bass increases. Yet for a female, the headband won't extend so much and it will probably have a tighter fit.

And they have some leakeage to outside, if you listen really loud. Not much but its there. There is none if you listen low or classical music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back