Sennheiser HD400 Range
Feb 12, 2011 at 3:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Hanty

New Head-Fier
So i only started using reasonably good headphones within the last year, so im still rather inexperienced. At the moment i use Sennheiser HD 238 Precision cans for out and about and around campus. The problem is they leak noise a lot being open and supra-aural and all and i think its time to get something new. I like the look of the 428's, they're quite cheap and seem to have good reviews, only thing im worried about is how easy they are to drive and if my ipod would make a meal out of it. I tried the 448's in a store and they sound great, but were a little shy on volume with my ipod. 

I was also looking at the 418's but they dont appear to sound as good? Another option i was considering were the AKG K518's as they are tight fitting and have pretty good noise isolation. Anyone have any insight to help me choose? Other possibilities are welcome too.

Feb 12, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #2 of 4
I suggest going with the HD 448, along with Fiio's E5 heaphone amplifier and line out cable.  With that combination your ipod will sing like it never has before!

Feb 12, 2011 at 7:24 PM Post #3 of 4
Would an amplifier really be necessary? I want to keep as portable as possible and i know the e5 is small, but it still adds something extra to carry around. And would it really be worth the extra 20 euro to make the jump from 428 to 448? 

Feb 13, 2011 at 10:52 AM Post #4 of 4
I understand your relunctance to what might seem like a lot to carry around, but it's possible that your ipod might even struggle to reach a good volume with even the HD428, so that's why I suggested the E5.  Or, you could go with the HD418 as they are probably the easiest of the HD4X8 series to drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back