Sennheiser HD280 Pro
Dec 19, 2004 at 9:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

commando

Headphoneus Supremus
Say what you like about them, they have bass so low you think it's either an earthquake or a huge truck outside, highs with detail from here to Sunday week, and mids like an abba concert. Or perhaps the mids are like a midget at a bikini competition. Either way, for the price you can't beat them. Sure they have a 3 month burn in period, that's a small price to pay for hi-fi on a budget.

That is all, thank you for listening.

Dec 19, 2004 at 10:01 AM Post #2 of 54
I saw a pair at a friend's house tonight. A model I used to own that I would definitely consider repurchasing for the interesting bass response (tons of deep bass with an inverse bass hump!).

Dec 19, 2004 at 10:39 AM Post #3 of 54
Ive burned mine in for probably... 250-300 hours now, and i have HD600's on order, my main concern is im worried that the HD600 will be dissapointing after the HD280's, from the standpoint that the noise isolation on the 280 is so amazing, that i can hear EVERYTHING clearly... with the 600's ill have to find a quiet room, or be dissapointed probably.

Dec 19, 2004 at 11:26 AM Post #7 of 54
Burn-in and some finesse with the equalizer in Foobar2000 has made the HD280s I use at work quite tolerable (which was not the case before burn-in and equalizer optimization). I agree that, for the money, they are a great deal (and the isolation is wonderful for noisy environments). Getting a Total Bithead (to get around the Soundblaster built into my work PC) helped a lot too.
smily_headphones1.gif

That being said...my old home headphone setup is MUCH better (HD650 + E-Mu/Benchmark/MPX3). And now that I have a Qualia at home (20 hours so far) I'm sure adjusting to my work setup is going to be even tougher.

Dec 19, 2004 at 5:30 PM Post #10 of 54
I have had a troubled relationship with HD280.

I purchased one as my first foray into headphone hobby, I was very impressed by them (since i hadn't heard anything better at that time) but slowly I just could not accept that this headphone is worth CDn$160, so I returned it.

During this time in a way I regretted returning the HD280, and thought to myself that maybe i did not give this headphone enough time.

Last month after a long time I purchased another HD280. After burn-in it started to open up and i begun to enjoy it, but things turned ugly.

First of all I begun to really get annoyed with the cable, then I realized how compressed the soundstage was, a few more days and I realized how fatiguing it can get with this headphone on. The headband really pressed hard on my head. I also disliked how any contact with the cable or the headphone itself while I was wearing it created a very annoying resonance. For example if the cable rested in my chest I could hear my heart beat!

I was finally convinced and dutifully returned the HD280 with full refund. As much as liked the isolation of HD280 and its balanced presentation, I just could not tolerate it anymore. I might be spoiled by HD580 and HD600 but I just could not justify to myself why i should keep HD280 as a closed alternative.

Dec 20, 2004 at 12:10 AM Post #11 of 54
I had the same expierience with the hd280s as wali did...happy at firstly, thn slowly dissapointed.

I like analytical music, but that one was too much for me...together with the head-pressure etc. they gave m fatigue-headaches after an hour or so.
And i listen to music more than just an hour at a time
280smile.gif

Dec 20, 2004 at 3:33 AM Post #12 of 54
The 280pro's really hit the spot for me. I love the clear, neutral sound quality. I can wear them for hours with no fatigue, either physical or acoustic. Someday I expect to get some top of the line cans and a decent rig, but in the mean time for my purposes I'm really pleased with the 280s.

And, yeah, love the deep bass extension.

Dec 20, 2004 at 3:45 AM Post #13 of 54
Yes... you will join Team HD 280. And like it. Feel the bass. Hear the smoothness. Slap that blue tack in the cups...

Dec 20, 2004 at 3:49 AM Post #14 of 54
No comment on the cost of my home system. My work system, now that it has the Total Bithead, isn't exactly cheap though.
smily_headphones1.gif

I should also mention that a key part of the lengthy burn-in process I did on my HD280s was having them stretched over my PC case...these things are just way too tight in my opinion. With the long (200+ hours so far, though I have been listening to them during the day for most of that period) burn-in and the stretch-out, they are much better now than when I first got them. Also, as mentioned, toying around the an Equalizer really makes these phones sound a lot more natural.

Dec 20, 2004 at 5:11 AM Post #15 of 54
Man, all this talk about the HD280pro just wants me to go open my christmas presents right now. I can't wait till I get ahold of mine and start enjoying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back