Sennheiser HD250 Linear Impressions Micro-Thread
Feb 23, 2021 at 11:34 PM Post #303 of 543
I got rid of the inner foam, and now use a combinaison of blackout curtain tissue, commando cloth, serge wool, chenille that feels close to velour and a bit of acoustic felt. I cut them with a cutter (circle cut) and place the fabric around the driver. These fabrics are what are commonly used inside movie theater to cover walls, also used as upholstery fabric.

I get samples from companies like Kovi and I would like to thank JcJoel for allowing me to try samples for free. And as you know the pads I use are the smallest one that sit closer to the ears.

Here are the current material I use:

Blackout curtain from JcJoel
Acoustic felt (a very small piece) also from JcJoel
Commando cloth (trivera molton CS seems to work the same) also from JcJoel
R2001 Cranbery Wool from Kovi
DA143 Vino from Kovi
K4195 POPPY microsuede from Kovi

A lot of other fabric have been ordered, I have tested a few dozens already. These above are the one I use now.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2021 at 11:56 PM Post #304 of 543
I am gonna post a picture to demonstrate the insane value of my wisdom:

SANY3661.jpg

As of today, this mod is worth about 0,00039 Bitcoin, or $25.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2021 at 2:42 AM Post #306 of 543
I am gonna post a picture to demonstrate the insane value of my wisdom:

As of today, this mod is worth about 0,00039 Bitcoin, or $25.
I spent time tinkering with xb1k and sz1k to get them to be better bass cannons, then transitioned to dt48/dt480 tinkering to find a balance in details and musicality. In saying that two other cans i remember thinking had super potential were the AKG Sextett and the HD250. Out of all the cans i've tinkered with foolishly perhaps, the HD250 surprised me the most. I just don't understand this headphone; it is really something out there. I wish i didn;t get rid of mine, but i had to get rid of some to get others. But this is one i hope to tinker with again.

***I should mention, my biggest problem was clamp, as i did get close to a sound i really desired, but not enough clamp.***

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #307 of 543
Can no longer be bothered with these. If the original pads and foam were available I think things might be different. They are a frustrating headphone trying different pads to second guess/ approximate what they originally sounded like. Not worth the hassle
As it is I dont see any real gains over the HD600. The 600 are much nicer to wear witrh lovely oblong velour pads against the sticky, sweaty round plastic pads.
Also I have no need for full size closed phones and need to be able to hear what is happening around me at home, (if i did I would get another pair of DT150s)
Added to that my recent purchase of Grado RS2e, They have rendered most of my phones surplus to requirements. They are superb and easily driven/ unfussy of source, AIMHO

Feb 24, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #308 of 543
When my new OTL amp arrives, I will do a head-to-head comparison of the DT150 and HD250 (1st generation, 300 Ohm).

That is, after all, what you all want to know...

Feb 24, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #309 of 543
When my new OTL amp arrives, I will do a head-to-head comparison of the DT150 and HD250 (1st generation, 300 Ohm).

That is, after all, what you all want to know...
That would be great. The 150 is another classic closed headphone. Don't currently have a pair to compare.
Massive sounding in all areas. Bomb proof. Not very comfortable, sweaty (rectangular ?!!!!?) pleather again and available new for a lot less than a pair of moth eaten HD250s with crumbling pads.

Ps could also buy a pair of DT250 250 ohm to compare as well😋😋

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #310 of 543
I spent time tinkering with xb1k and sz1k to get them to be better bass cannons, then transitioned to dt48/dt480 tinkering to find a balance in details and musicality. In saying that two other cans i remember thinking had super potential were the AKG Sextett and the HD250. Out of all the cans i've tinkered with foolishly perhaps, the HD250 surprised me the most. I just don't understand this headphone; it is really something out there. I wish i didn;t get rid of mine, but i had to get rid of some to get others. But this is one i hope to tinker with again.

***I should mention, my biggest problem was clamp, as i did get close to a sound i really desired, but not enough clamp.***
I think at this point, we all have our own interpretations of the ideal mods, due to personal preference. I must say, you did quite the work here! if I understand, you tuck those fabrics onto the earpads after the plastic ring and earpad have already joined together?

HD250, the note is extremely clean, and it has a vintage sound to boot.

Feb 24, 2021 at 11:04 PM Post #311 of 543
Once the fabric is positioned, all you need to do is snap back the pads. The HD250 doesn't have a vintage sound... In its original form, it's the closest to what we could subjectively call neutral and detailed. I think the Harman graph provides visual of this. The headphone is a game killer and it works with any source. It is indestructible. And it is the easiest headphone to mod; all you need is pull the earpad, put whatever you want inside the cup, and replace the pads back in place. It's also a very lightweight headphone. The only problem : it is discontinued but good news is Sennheiser seemingly sold a tons of these in Germany -- there are always some available on ebay. It possibly has the best survival rate of any headphone on this planet, actually.

Mar 1, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #312 of 543
Once the fabric is positioned, all you need to do is snap back the pads. The HD250 doesn't have a vintage sound... In its original form, it's the closest to what we could subjectively call neutral and detailed. I think the Harman graph provides visual of this. The headphone is a game killer and it works with any source. It is indestructible. And it is the easiest headphone to mod; all you need is pull the earpad, put whatever you want inside the cup, and replace the pads back in place. It's also a very lightweight headphone. The only problem : it is discontinued but good news is Sennheiser seemingly sold a tons of these in Germany -- there are always some available on ebay. It possibly has the best survival rate of any headphone on this planet, actually.
HD250 tells a story.

Mar 4, 2021 at 10:12 PM Post #313 of 543
Check my "about" section :wink:
There are a lot of good vintage headphones out there. The order would probably be:
1. AKG K500EP / Stax SR-207 / HD540 Gold 600ohm
2. HD540 600ohm / Yamaha YH-100 / HD250 Linear
3. Fostex T10 / NAD RP18 / HD560 Ovation / DT880 Vintage
4. Stax Gamma Pro / AKG K400EP
5. MB Quart QP45X / Akai ASE-50
Given the boldness of this claim, and your large collection of vintage headphones, I went ahead and bought a K500 for a good price.

Comparing HD250 and K500

K500 has:
-more grain
-a more natural midrange
-despite its graph, sounds very balanced.
-has a more capable treble, with more natural extension, and some quicker speed to avoid ringing
-treble still rings, so I bring it down 3db at 7k and 10k
-some more depth than HD250, causing more transparency. I think this is just open back doing it's magic.
-more grain in the midrange/upper midrange area, although HD250 is an exception in producing very low grain notes (a reason I like it so much)
-musical, but quite technical, just edging HD250 in technicalities despite all of this
-Mainstream sound - if you told me this was released last year, I would believe you.

HD250: basically the opposite of those points, but I'll reslist some I think are worth noting

-The note is much cleaner
-More engaging
-Some more ringing in treble area, though K500 has some slight ringing issues as well.
-More comfortable
-Has a more sophisticated sound. Sophistication comes largely from the very well executed texture, and excellent subbass extension.
-Has a deep subbass that K500 clearly lacks, though I appreciate that K500 doesn't compensate with midbass bloat like some modern budget headphones
-You can clearly tell more design was put into consideration for this headphone, it's just a shame that the treble could be faster to avoid the ringing.
-Ultimately, it's a more solid, coherent sound than K500
-All in all, this is my preference, though, for a transparent sound from open back, K500 is a nice change.

I just compared open back to closed-back, so take that as you will.

I'm glad I spent so little money to get such good vintage value.

Keep in mind both of these headphones are extremely good, even ignore money. I had the chance the compare with HD600 and Sundara, both of which don't stand a chance, and felt like complete letdowns compared to how these two sound.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2021 at 10:39 PM Post #314 of 543
Most headphones have treble aggressiveness ; the reflection of the high frequencies inside the cup emphasizes the treble ringing. It doesn't come from the driver itself. You must mod the cup of these headphones in order to get a clean and smooth treble. Note that this is my opinion based on my invaluable experience modding headphones with fabrics (not fact-checked by the holders of the truth).

Mar 4, 2021 at 10:54 PM Post #315 of 543
Most headphones have treble aggressiveness ; the reflection of the high frequencies inside the cup emphasizes the treble ringing. It doesn't come from the driver itself. You must mod the cup of these headphones in order to get a clean and smooth treble. Note that this is my opinion based on my invaluable experience modding headphones with fabrics (not fact-checked by the holders of the truth).
I appreciate you doing the mods. I guess I always talk about my problems without solving them :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back