Sennheiser HD250 Linear Impressions Micro-Thread
Mar 22, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #331 of 543
So I just swapped the Audio-gd ESS9018 DAC out for my old, modded Teradak Chameleon (featuring 16 TDA1543 R2R DAC chips running NOS, connected in parallel to the output sockets only via a large pair of Obbligato caps). What can I say? Very transparent, tactile and revealing! The forward midrange and slightly rolled-off frequency extremes fit the HD250 like a glove. It’s as if a subtle veil has been removed...

Now to fit the FAW cable (when it arrives), and maybe try some Russian NOS paper in oil caps on the output of the DAC.

Mar 23, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #332 of 543
I find myself hearing an awful lot of „noises off“: musicians mumbling, breathing, chairs squeaking, tube trains rumbling under the concert hall, valve, pedal and string sounds...

I imagine these were perfect mastering tools.

Mar 23, 2021 at 3:47 PM Post #333 of 543
Last edited:
Mar 23, 2021 at 5:31 PM Post #334 of 543
It‘s interesting to note that the HD250 was actually positioned above the HD540 at the time...

BTW, the foam „dimples“ in the headband have deflated over time. Is there any way this can be rectified?

Mar 23, 2021 at 9:19 PM Post #336 of 543
It‘s interesting to note that the HD250 was actually positioned above the HD540 at the time...
Because it's not positioned above the HD540 at the present time? ^^
I rate the HD250 above the best planar magnetics that I have owned and above the current AKG flagship.

Mar 23, 2021 at 9:40 PM Post #337 of 543
Apr 2, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #338 of 543
The FAW Copper Series cable arrived yesterday. Fit of the connectors is reasonably secure, and the electrical connection in both earcups is reliable.

There is a general improvement in sound quality, with greater midrange transparency and a “tidier” treble. The bass also seems a little stronger (but not boomy).

Apr 4, 2021 at 5:33 PM Post #339 of 543
Here it is, as promised:

THE CLASH OF THE MONITORS

Many of us have probably been asking how the HD250 stacks up to the current Beyerdynamic DT150. Up for test were my HD250 Linear 1 (300 Ohm, original pads in good condition, FAW Copper Series cable) and my six year old DT150 with DIY Mogami 2534 cable. The rest of the system comprised:

Shinrico D3S digital transport / server with Temple Audio Supercharger supercapacitor PSU

Swoboda pure silver coax interconnect

Audio-gd NFB-1P DAC (TCXO upgrades)

Chord Clearway analog I/C

WBA Tzar 6S41S OTL amplifier (1970 Mullard CV4108 / 1970s Soviet NOS 6S41S)

All mains wiring was screened Supra Lo-Rad

All source material was ripped from CD to WAV via DB Poweramp.

As I listed exclusively to classical and jazz, this is what I used for the comparison.

JAZZ:
Andrew Cyrille - Lebroba
Grant Green - Green Street
John Coltrane - Olé Coltrane

CLASSICAL:
Shostakovich: Symphony No. 4 - Ashkanazy / RPO
Debussy: Images - Munch / BSO
Bach: Sonata in G Major for Cello and Piano - Starker / Sebok

So: a selection of classic 50s / 60s analog and modern digital recordings.

Upfront: both headphones are good. Very good. Neither exhibits the sound we have come to expect from mid-priced closed cans, so no boomy bass bleeding into the mids and no closed-in soundstage. Both come alive with a good OTL amp, and both are hampered by poor stock cables.

Now for the differences:
The HD250 sounded remarkably clear and open, almost to DT1990 Pro levels. The soundstage was incredibly wide for a closed can, and instruments were incredibly clearly differentiated. The downside was a treble which could sometimes be strident. Avoid silver cables! Also: at first hearing, the tonal balance may sound subjectively “thin” and “anaemic”. The brain soon adapts, though, and it becomes clear that all the information (including prodigious sub-bass) is there.

As for the DT150, there was a much richer, warmer midrange with an elevated upper bass (think LS3/5A). Soundstage was wide, but not as wide as the Sennheiser. Whilst the level of detail retrieval was very good, it didn’t quite reach the level of the HD250. The latter was also better at providing clues as to the recording venue’s acoustics. There was also a hint of a resonance or echo in the presence area (possibly due to reflections in the square, undamped earcups?).

So, on balance, the HD250 wins, as it digs a little deeper into the music than the Beyer. It’s a shame that this headphone is no longer manufactured.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2021 at 9:25 AM Post #340 of 543
I had interest in the DT1990 before I buy the HD250.

As for the most extreme comparison I can personally make, in my book, the HD250 beats the Focal Utopia in terms of neutrality and natural rendition, because the Utopia exaggerates the nuances to a very high level, like a magnifier you would direct at the musicians to measure how they play. The Utopia is surely the technically better headphone, but who wants to listen all day to an altered sound that emphasizes a particularity inside the music? For an audition or two why not. But for a lifetime? No thank you. I actually auditioned the Utopia at my nearest audio expert shop. Did not like it. It's more like a niche headphone designed to deliver a transformed listening experience. More on the analytical side because of its nuance rendition. Sound was a little warm in terms of frenquencies or coloration. Soundstage was not big like some reviewers say, at least not compared to some Sennheiser headphones - average soundstage at best. Interesting headphone but for a specific listening.

HD250 wins:
neutrality
soundstage
natural lifelike sound
portable
versatility/synergy with any source
Transparent (it just disappears and let you enjoy your music without getting in your way)
Easy to mod
Price
Unbreakable and stood the test of time
lightweight

Approved by ScareDe2. Certified best headphone in the world.

Apr 14, 2021 at 8:17 AM Post #341 of 543
For anyone who may be interested, I have a tip re. budget amp for the HD250: Xduoo MT-602. Plenty of power, transparent tube midrange and enough control in the bass. The stock tubes are junk, though, and should be replaced ASAP. 6AK5 are cheap and plentiful, though. I’m using some 1965 milspec Sylvanias.

Apr 14, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #342 of 543
I have been a silent subscriber of this thread for a long time... I could not join the club because I couldn't be able to find an HD250 in my country. So I searched German ebay and finally figured a new Sennheiser HD250 Linear 1 from a German seller. I could not purchase it immediately because PayPal stopped its operations to Turkish customers a long time ago (due to governmental regulations or restrictions). So I found a friend and paid the price through his PayPal. And then the second round came: how to get the item to Turkey? Seller were not willing to ship internationally so I had to find a friends friend who lives in Germany to get the item shipped. After this he could be able to send the item with his friend (yes another friend were in the scene here). Due to Covid-19 pandemic many journeys/flights were delayed and finally (after waiting for 3 months!) his friend came to Istanbul. But I was living in another city next to Istanbul and the guy were not willing to ship to item to me so I had to collect it myself. I went to Istanbul after 2 and half hours of driving and got the item from the hotel lobby where he stayed. Finally HD250 Linear 1 was in my hands! I read every review and wanted this headphone so badly that I have searched for it and have it after waiting for 1.5 years! Why I am telling this story here because I can not tell this story to any of my friends (they will think that I am off...). The photo on the below is from the moment where I have started listening to the HD250 Linear 1 while crossing between European continent to the Asian continent (I took the photo while crossing the Bosphorus Bridge in Istanbul and inside the car while my private driver were bringing me back home)!
20210402_144059.jpg
More to come in the future...

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #343 of 543
You won’t be disappointed!

Apr 14, 2021 at 8:57 PM Post #344 of 543
Well, well, well... Quite a story... Enjoy :beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back