Sennheiser HD25-1 or Ultrasone HFI 580 (*edited May 19 added Sony ZX700 out of curiosity)
May 24, 2011 at 6:12 AM Post #31 of 49
First off, there are different versions of the Sennheiser HD25 II that can be bought. Apart from looks (Adidas edition), the biggest difference of all of them is the cable that's being used (steel cable, coiled cable), there is also a 25-13-II version out there with a (higher) 600 ohm impedance. I would stay away from that version, mainly because it will be hard to drive with your iPod.

Here's a little comparison: http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/home_en.nsf/root/professional_headphones-headsets_headphones_502188?Open&row=4

Else, I daresay that the iPod you're planning to use your headphones with will power the HD25s without any problem, if you want something more fancy, I can recommend the Practical Devices XM6.

Cheers.

May 24, 2011 at 6:26 AM Post #33 of 49

Quote:
Does anyone know what's the difference between the normal and basic edition of the HD25-1? Is it just the accessories?

What do you mean by "normal" and "basic" editions?

I posted a link to the HD25 II variants in my previous post, they all have the same capsule. If you're talking about the 25-SP version, that's a different headphone and I would stay away from it. If you're talking about the Adidas special edition, it will sound the same as any black HD25-1 II.

May 24, 2011 at 9:35 AM Post #34 of 49

Quote:
First off, there are different versions of the Sennheiser HD25 II that can be bought. Apart from looks (Adidas edition), the biggest difference of all of them is the cable that's being used (steel cable, coiled cable), there is also a 25-13-II version out there with a (higher) 600 ohm impedance. I would stay away from that version, mainly because it will be hard to drive with your iPod.

Here's a little comparison: http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/home_en.nsf/root/professional_headphones-headsets_headphones_502188?Open&row=4

Else, I daresay that the iPod you're planning to use your headphones with will power the HD25s without any problem, if you want something more fancy, I can recommend the Practical Devices XM6.

Cheers.

All right sir. I am not aware of that amp and it's way out of my budget, well to tell you the truth I am still saving up for the headphone. I was thinking buying JDSLabs CMoy or E11 after. Or save up even more for the Headstage Arrow. I am not sure of their synergy with the HD25-1.

May 24, 2011 at 10:27 AM Post #35 of 49
I don' t want to intrude into xallarap discussion, but I think I'm gonna grab a pair of hd 25 the next month, and I'd like your opinion about amping.
I'm following the fiio e11 very closely, do you think it can change the sennheiser sound in any relevant way? Thanks! 

May 24, 2011 at 5:02 PM Post #36 of 49
From my point of view the HD25s are pretty uncomplicated headphones in regards to amplifiers. It's a mainstay amongst audio engineers for their work, plugged into mixing consoles that probably have a worse headphone amp section than your iPod. 
Xallarp, as I understand you're on a budget, I would first save up and buy the HD25 and try it out with your iPod, and then decide whether the sound quality and volume are sufficient for your listening habits. When I'm traveling, I listen with my AKG Q460s directly connected to my iPhone4. 

I can't comment on the Fiio e11 because I haven't tested that amp, but I assume that it won't the basic sound of the headphones. Probably it has a higher output than an iPod, so you might be able to listen at louder levels than an iPod with headphones that have a higher impedance. 

May 24, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #37 of 49
The HD25's sound fine out of my Cowon J3 and have plenty of volume (I listen on 25/30 out of 40), I can't imagine an ipod being different in this respect. I'd be surprised if you don't have enough volume out of your ipod. Like a few posters above me, it's wise to listen to them from your Ipod before deciding to amp them or not.

May 24, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #38 of 49

Quote:
I don' t want to intrude into xallarap discussion, but I think I'm gonna grab a pair of hd 25 the next month, and I'd like your opinion about amping.
I'm following the fiio e11 very closely, do you think it can change the sennheiser sound in any relevant way? Thanks! 

Don't worry sir. I was thinking of the same question.

Quote:
From my point of view the HD25s are pretty uncomplicated headphones in regards to amplifiers. It's a mainstay amongst audio engineers for their work, plugged into mixing consoles that probably have a worse headphone amp section than your iPod. 
Xallarp, as I understand you're on a budget, I would first save up and buy the HD25 and try it out with your iPod, and then decide whether the sound quality and volume are sufficient for your listening habits. When I'm traveling, I listen with my AKG Q460s directly connected to my iPhone4. 

I can't comment on the Fiio e11 because I haven't tested that amp, but I assume that it won't the basic sound of the headphones. Probably it has a higher output than an iPod, so you might be able to listen at louder levels than an iPod with headphones that have a higher impedance. 

Quote:
The HD25's sound fine out of my Cowon J3 and have plenty of volume (I listen on 25/30 out of 40), I can't imagine an ipod being different in this respect. I'd be surprised if you don't have enough volume out of your ipod. Like a few posters above me, it's wise to listen to them from your Ipod before deciding to amp them or not.

Hmm okay sir. You're right on saving on the headphones first. I am just excited on the prospect of getting new headphones. haha Maybe I'll get an amp in the future for my future purchases. :)

And that Cowon J3 is mighty fine as a player!

May 25, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #39 of 49
My HD25s sound perfectly fine out of a Sansa Clip+, and that thing is tiny. No need to go for portable amps unless you really want to try it out.

May 25, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #40 of 49

Quote:

I own a s9, so I'm really set. Do you use an higher volume eq when driving the hd 25? I'm asking because, on "Normal" settings, my Alessandro ms1 require as much as 36 out of 40.
I'll probably still get a Fiio e7 to use as a DAC, my PC's onboard audio card is terrible.
Thanks

May 25, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #41 of 49
My main portable source is the 4G touch as well, and I carry TF10s, SE535s, IE8s and HD25s in my notebook bag on my daily commute. I am a trance-head, so our tastes differ quite a bit, but I prefer the HD25 to the Ultrasone. I have had both at different times, so no A/B listening.

May 25, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #42 of 49
I have a J3 as well, and why it has more output, the 4G touch can easily drive the HD25.

May 25, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #43 of 49

Quote:
I own a s9, so I'm really set. Do you use an higher volume eq when driving the hd 25? I'm asking because, on "Normal" settings, my Alessandro ms1 require as much as 36 out of 40.
I'll probably still get a Fiio e7 to use as a DAC, my PC's onboard audio card is terrible.
Thanks

No, that would make no sense, my eq is the viva 1 setting. I do however, use low 30/35's when commuting or playing jazz / classical (because those musical styles usually aren't brickwalled and thus need more volume).

May 25, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #44 of 49

Quote:
Thanks

Volume 36 out of 40 with Grados on a Cowon S9? I currently have the J3 and had the S9. I don't think the S9 is that much weaker than the J3. You are listening VERY loudly and with the amount of treble the Grados output, I worry about your hearing.

May 25, 2011 at 6:52 PM Post #45 of 49
Ipod does not drive the HD-25's to the same level any cowon player I've heard.(D2,S9,J3)
I'm currently using a nano 6th gen
I had them (HD-25) plugged in to iphone 3/4,Ipad and a number of android phones.
they sound great and loud enough for my ears from all of those sources.
but on pure voulme, cowon can make my ears hurt,I-thingies sometimes in loud place keep s me trying to press vol upp..

not to worry tough, for "normal" listening about 50-60% vol is enough to block out the outside world

welcome to HD-25 mafia. :wink: :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back