Sennheiser hd25-1 ii
Aug 17, 2010 at 11:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

heyheykuk

New Head-Fier
I'm thinking of buying the sennheiser hd25-1-II adidas version for my ipod.
Is it okay to jog with it?
Is there any better headphones at in the same price range?
They need too be portable, closed, not too bad looking, have good sound quaity ofc and a good bass.
I'm going to use them on buses, airplanes, while jogging and cycling
I'm listening too dubstep, drum and bass, instrumental jazz, metal and more.
I have the ath-ad700 and a x-fi soundcard on my computer, how can the sound compare too that?

Do i need an amp?
How much better will the sound be with an amp?
Which amp should i buy if i need one?

Aug 17, 2010 at 11:59 AM Post #2 of 11
Do they still sell them? I think they are great but I'm not so sure if that funny blue colour justify the big price difference. I'm sure you can jog with them with no problem, they are classified as sport headphones, aren't they? I think the iPods can drive them without the need of am amp with no problem.

Aug 17, 2010 at 1:20 PM Post #4 of 11
If they are the same price you should get them, I think they are like USD 20-40 more than the black ones here in HK and they come with replaceable cables, right? Do you really want to carry an extra amp while you are jogging? 
confused_face_2.gif

Aug 18, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #6 of 11
If you had a good amp, then HD25-1II should have sound better. This HP is not hard to drive, but it can accurately reflect the ability of your DAC and amp. So I would say that you don't necessarily need a amp for it, but having a amp will make it even better. A good music source/DAC is more important in this case. Anyway, it is a very good HP in this price range.

Aug 18, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #7 of 11
yea senns are probably best for jogging, built like a tank. 
I dont think an amp makes a big difference. 

Ibasso d2 from ipod using LOD made little difference on reflection, yeah probably worth it at home but out and about i never bothered. Using the d2 from my macbook was an improvement i will admit, but all headphones do better if using a dac. 

Using a desktop amp (neco soundlab v2) - was a slight improvement, a bit crispier, bass was less muddy (though wasnt bad in the first place). Though i only think this is because i used a line out on my ipod rather than headphone out. 

To conclude, i wouldnt bother with an amp. If using from a computer id get a nuforce udac or cheap-ish dac to bypass internal soundcard

Aug 20, 2010 at 12:48 PM Post #9 of 11
I'm not sure I would want wear my HD 25-1 while jogging. They probably would stay on your head ok (especially if you split the headband for a more secure fit) and while they're not heavy, I feel they are too bulky to jog with - I wouldn't describe them as sports headphones. This is purely a preference thing though. If you have the opportunity to try them on in a shop I would do that.

They sound fine driven by my iphone 4, I listen to this setup at work. I do think they sound a lot better out of my uDac though. The uDac is a combined amp and DAC, and it could just be the DAC which provides the improvement in sound over the iphone 4. Having said that I get the feeling a headphone amp with the HD 25-1 does improve the quality of sound. 70 ohm isn't what I would class as high impedance, but I believe it is higher than the impedance of headphones generally paired with portable music players?

Aug 20, 2010 at 12:53 PM Post #10 of 11
While the original HD 25-1s were made for DJ's, I think the blue adidas edition are made for sports, they come with lots of accessories. 
normal_smile .gif

Quote:
I'm not sure I would want wear my HD 25-1 while jogging. They probably would stay on your head ok (especially if you split the headband for a more secure fit) and while they're not heavy, I feel they are too bulky to jog with - I wouldn't describe them as sports headphones. This is purely a preference thing though. If you have the opportunity to try them on in a shop I would do that.

They sound fine driven by my iphone 4, I listen to this setup at work. I do think they sound a lot better out of my uDac though. The uDac is a combined amp and DAC, and it could just be the DAC which provides the improvement in sound over the iphone 4. Having said that I get the feeling a headphone amp with the HD 25-1 does improve the quality of sound. 70 ohm isn't what I would class as high impedance, but I believe it is higher than the impedance of headphones generally paired with portable music players?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back