Sennheiser HD25-1 II, Shure SRH840 or Westone UM3X?
Jun 8, 2010 at 3:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Vince45

New Head-Fier
Fellow Head-Fi'ers,

First time poster, long time reader (stole that, but couldn't think of anything more appropriate after reading it :wink:). 

The forum was a great help for my last decision. Many hours spent reading here inspired me to buy the UM2's a few years ago. I used them daily and have been very pleased--although I'm sure there is much room for improvement. However, the cable has broken at the L-connector and I'm looking for replacement.

Now here's what I'm looking for:

- Unamped use
- Portable
- No leakage, I don't want to be a bother to anyone else (closed HP, IEM)
- Isolation, less important than leakage, but important
- Source iPhone 3Gs
- Quality Mp3 192-320 and FLAC
- Musical preferences: Hip Hop/Rap, Soul, Jazz, Blues, Electronic, Classical (probably not relevant as my taste is quite broad)

I've been very happy with the comfort of my UM2's and I initially was convinced that I should just buy the UM3X. However, I wondered whether I could get better SQ with other options for the same price or less. Reading the forum extensively I landed on three possible candidates: Sennheiser HD25-1 II, Shure SRH840 or Westone UM3X (removable cables).

I realize that the price range of the HP's is quite different from the UM3X's. It's actually the reason for my options. I'm wondering if I can get similar SQ for less money with HP's without having to use a portable amp. I don't mind suggestions of more expensive HP's but it has to work well unamped and have minimal leakage!

Anyone out here with experience with these three models and can provide an A/B/C comparison? Any tips, everything is welcome!

Jun 8, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #2 of 7
dont know the others so cant comment, but iv had my hs25s for around 6 weeks or so, so thought id comment on your criterea. 

umamped - well the hd25 are very easily driven, will run off your iphone or any ipod no problem. Your will be satisfied with these unamped, but if you do decide to get an amp they do scale up well, But i dont often take my ibasso d2 out with the hd25s, simply because for portable use they sound awesoem unamped.

Leakage - I was most surprised when i wore my hd25s out, they are very good at keeping in sound and isolating aswell. Especially If you use the stock pads (rather than upgrading to velour). Obviously they dont isolate aswell as some full sized cans, but in my opinion and i think this is the general opinion, the leakage is minimal and isolation good with the 25s. 

Sound Quality - For a portable headphone using the files you said from an ipod, i dont think youll find a better unamped set of headphones. They deal with everything, from jamie cullum to eminem and everything inbetween, a general all rounder. The bass is well perfect, enough without being muddy or overpowering.

One thing i must mention is the durability, the hd25s excell in this category, they simply do not break, which with portable cans is a big factor for me.

Overall very pleased with the 25s and highly recommend them to anyone :D good luck

Jun 10, 2010 at 2:26 PM Post #3 of 7
Much appreciated! The 25's do seem great. Many people here love 'em.

Can anyone provide a comparison of the three, or two of 'em or even suggest better alternatives?

Oct 9, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #4 of 7
Only 2 posts...so what did you end up with?

I have the hd 25-1 as well and was wondering if the um3x are similar but in iem flavor?

If not does anyone recommend an iem that's similar to my hd's as they really are fantastic!

I do use my d4 and iPhone 3 g so that would be available for the iem's but wouldn't mind leaven the d4 home sometimes!

Thanks,
Chris

Oct 10, 2011 at 6:13 AM Post #5 of 7
I have hd25 and um3x, both are amazing, but for me um3x is much better, it has a more more forward/less sibilant mids, the highs are better and the bass is punchy and fast, both isolates well, but um3x with good tips isolates a bit better. In general both are excellent headphones.

Oct 10, 2011 at 7:36 AM Post #6 of 7
Thanks!

I keep reading about the um3x and ppl have very positive things to say. I will keep an eye out for them then! Just need them to drop a bit in price to justify it to the wife!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back