Sennheiser HD25-1-II Limited Edition - could these be fake?
Feb 16, 2010 at 9:24 PM Post #16 of 34
If I leave them around my computer case like this overnight, is this okay or is it possible I will overstretch them?

stretch.jpg

Feb 16, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #17 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by mimayin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey sampson_smith, I'm kind of in two minds about the QC15s now... I read elsewhere that the pressure with NC on can be annoying. Given that the QC15s cost more than twice as much as the HD25s, I'm wondering if I should try stretching them to see if I can make them more comfortable first... the sound really is amazing from these phones.

Are they really that comfortable to wear now that you've stretched them out a bit?

Yes, very comfortable, and it also helps that you can adjust the headband to attenuate how well the cups rest on the ears/head. You, of course, don't want to mangle them/stress the plastic at one particular spot, but with a bit of firm bending throughout, the pressure on the ears is dissipated.

As per above, I doubt that you will over-stretch them. Check back in an hour and see how they are doing. Also keep in mind that the ears also need time to adjust to the pressure. I'm sure that a quarter of the battle is physically adapting to them. Another, smaller portion, psychological.

Feb 16, 2010 at 9:57 PM Post #19 of 34
Yes, they fit the mark II's and did indeed come stock with the non-Special Edition variant that had the "Made in Ireland" stamp.

Feb 16, 2010 at 10:17 PM Post #21 of 34
Is there anything better than QC15s in that price range for noise-cancelling / isolation, but with an around-ear design? I'm sure the HD25s can get better with stretching, but I'm not sure I'll ever find them as comfortable as my old Bose around-ears.. which is a real shame as I love the sound.

Feb 16, 2010 at 10:22 PM Post #22 of 34
Keep in mind that if the HD 25-1's are still new, you will benefit from burning them in for 50-100+ hours.

Feb 16, 2010 at 10:22 PM Post #23 of 34
Feb 16, 2010 at 10:25 PM Post #25 of 34
Comfort and isolation are big factors for me. I think it's actually worth sacrificing some sound quality to get more comfort and isolation/NR. My primary use for headphones is my day job, so I need to wear them for long periods of time and having headphones that are uncomfortable or hurt my ears pretty much stops me doing my job. Appreciate what you're saying sampson_smith about the burn-in period, but I'm not sure I can afford to be annoyed at work for that long waiting for them to adjust. Also means I wouldn't be able to return them after that long a period, especially if they're noticeably stretched.

Feb 17, 2010 at 3:29 PM Post #27 of 34
Erm guys, it seems that the Limited Editions are actually fake after all, Sennheiser don't make Limited Editions according to this person who's just emailed me direct from sennheiser.co.uk:

--------------------------------------------------
Dear <deleted>

All of our HD 25s have 'Made in Ireland' on the headband and would always have a warranty card and instruction booklet in the box. Not quite convinced .. the earpads are covered in a soft leatherette fabric ..
Hi,

Yes that's what I was told on the phone as well, although I've found several other people on the internet who've told me they had the same concerns then later discovered that the HD25-1-II Limited Editions are different and don't have "made in ireland" around the headband. They did sound as I would expect from Sennheiser.. but in any case I have returned them to the seller now as genuine or not, they were too tight on my ears and caused them to hurt after an hour or so of use.

Kind regards,
Thank you for the info. I appreciate your response. We have never done any Limited Editions! and these headphones are normally very comfortable and should definitely not clamp onto the ears too tightly.

I am sorry for all the misinformation ... we do not supply this company direct. If you still wish to buy Sennheiser, we have a list of authorised dealers on our website or try Play.com.

I referred this person to the Amazon.co.uk (Amazon stock - not 3rd party sellers) reference to the Limited Editions and they said they are going to contact them.

If anyones interested contact me directly and I'll happily show you the emails in full with headers etc to prove this is genuine.

Feb 17, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #28 of 34
Hmmm thats interesting to hear about the fakes.... Anyways for your needs, why not just get full sized cans? Most of them are very comfy that sits off your ear. Any closed cans can offer some decent noise blocking. Perhaps look into the D2000s or ATH-A900/700. They are all closed cans and very comfy to boot (for me anyways YMMV)

Feb 17, 2010 at 9:02 PM Post #29 of 34
In terms of "special editions" - they might be marketed as such, but not purchased by UK distributor..........OTOH the only places to find HD25-13 near the end of their distribution was in the UK and Australia. They could not be found in the USA.

Re: fit of headband - the plastic of the real Senn. headbands has a memory. It will always retract back to the orig. fit. I tried overstretching for a couple of days, and also applied substantial heat with a hairdryer - and they always went back to the overly tight (for me) fit. My only answer was to leave them stretched across a computer case until needed.

Remember, there is no SQ difference between earlier versions of HD25 (of like ohmage) and v.II.

Feb 17, 2010 at 10:38 PM Post #30 of 34
Unbelievably, I have just had a full email apology from Sennheiser:

-----------------------------

Dear <deleted>

It's probably too late since you seem to have returned these items already.

But Linda has given you incorrect information about The HD25MKII-1.

We have recently produced HD25MKII - 1 LE (Limited edition) which was shipped with a nylon carry bag and without spare earpads (The normal HD25MKII-1 has spare earpads in the package)

DJ Store (The Blinding Group) Purchased 100's of these from us and their last delivery was made in December 2009.

The blame lies firmly with Sennheiser UK for giving you incorrect information as D J Store have been a long time trading partner and are an official Sennheiser dealer there is no question to the item in question being Fake.

If you would like to discuss this matter further please do not hesitate to contact me

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back