Sennheiser HD201 vs HD202
Jun 13, 2005 at 9:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

bitbucket

New Head-Fier
I've been looking for a pair of cheap, new headphones, and both the Sennheiser HD201 and HD202 look excellent (and are priced basically the same), but I have no idea which is better. The HD202 appears to have slightly better specs, but raw specs aren't everything. Anyone have any opinions about which has better sound quality? Or any other recommendations of headphones similarly priced (less than $30)?

Thanks in advance.

Jun 14, 2005 at 12:07 AM Post #2 of 18
Something you will learn as you surf around Head-Fi more, raw stats mean next to nothing.
rolleyes.gif

Jun 14, 2005 at 12:44 AM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by bitbucket
The HD202 appears to have slightly better specs, but raw specs aren't everything.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PTheD
Something you will learn as you surf around Head-Fi more, raw stats mean next to nothing.
rolleyes.gif

Did I miss something or did you just basically restate what he already said and add a
rolleyes.gif
?

Bitbucket,

I say when it doubt, go with the higher number, especially given the price difference(which is still low).

Jun 14, 2005 at 12:47 AM Post #5 of 18
Yes and Yes, I restated what he said and you missed something, specificly why I restated it as I did.
tongue.gif

I wouldn't doubt that the ideal going with the bigger number would get you flamed, but it is a better idea than many would give it credit for.

Jun 14, 2005 at 12:51 AM Post #6 of 18
It is in this thread that I first read about the HD201, since then it has been added to the HeadRoom site as one of their top 10 headphones and has been growing a following of its own.

Jun 14, 2005 at 1:51 AM Post #7 of 18
I have never listened to either of these headphones, and I am just going by what I have heard, so you may not want to take me to seriously.

I have really only heard good things about the 201's, and IMO they look better, but I have heard that the 202's can be a bit overwhelming in the bass department. So if you really like bass, go with the 202's but if you want more accurate presentation then go with the 201's

Jun 14, 2005 at 2:02 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by 450
If think the 202 are too bassy, then check out the 212! They'll blow your mind! Too much bass!

Is that an offer to ship me some free HD212s, hmmm, hmmm, is it iis it? Hmmm Hmmm.
biggrin.gif

Jun 14, 2005 at 2:02 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by bitbucket
I've been looking for a pair of cheap, new headphones, and both the Sennheiser HD201 and HD202 look excellent (and are priced basically the same), but I have no idea which is better. The HD202 appears to have slightly better specs, but raw specs aren't everything. Anyone have any opinions about which has better sound quality? Or any other recommendations of headphones similarly priced (less than $30)?

Thanks in advance.

there are lots of threads about them already, but to sum it up:

HD201 clamps less, isolates less, more comfortable overall, more balanced sound, less muffled sounding, looks more stylish imo, rolled off in the highs

HD202 more thunderous bass, hence the "DJ" print on the box, benefits more from an amp imo

Oct 25, 2011 at 5:57 AM Post #12 of 18
I have both hd201 and hd202. The 201's sit a bit more comfortably around the ear, but don't seal as well. They have a flatter response than the 202's. The 201's are also a bit less sensitive and will need you to push the volume a bit higher.
The 202's are quite tight fitting, are louder given the same volume and have much more bass. 

I use the 201's for watching movies as they seem to have better clarity in the human voice range, whilst still having enough bass for a soundtrack, and a stereo amp or receiver's headphone jack has plenty of power to drive them.
I think the 202's are better suited to portable music players (e.g. iPods) as they require less power from the amp and fill in the bass more, an area many of these small players lack.

As for real music listening, I can't go past my Grado's...

Apr 19, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #13 of 18
Bump
ph34r.gif

Which one of these 2 would be better for gaming ? I play CS GO

May 22, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #15 of 18
  Duuuude add me on steam, Major Moron, Imma buy the 201 and ill let you know how they sound. I play CSGO too so I think I can help you with that end too :D

Adding you. You will receive an invite from 
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back