Sennheiser HD 900... (?) Rumors
Aug 13, 2009 at 10:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 100

JaZZ

Headphoneus Supremus
Just snapped up from the German HiFi Forum (translated):

Quote:

I had a brief listen to the HD 800 at my hi-fi dealer.
I can't make a judgement, because the listening impression was much too short. But I was told along the way by the dealer that he's got some info from Sennheiser that the HD800 be the smallest headphone of the series, there will be some more. That's how it's planned.

The answer from a Sennheiser representant in the same thread:

Quote:

Of course we are pleased about the rumors churning in the mill around the HD 800. To what extent we're actually planning to expand the portfolio is strictly confidential also in this case. Please have some understanding for this statement. As soon as there are facts, I will let you know.

I have no idea how much facts or hot air are behind this new rumor, but thought it would be fun to fuel the fire.
beerchug.gif
I don't think this thread will be as populated as the HD 700 rumors thread of blessed memory, given the HD 800's recent appearance and newness, but you never know...

Aug 13, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #3 of 100
IIRC, there were posts in the past talking about a portable, down-sized version of the HD 800 to come.

Aug 13, 2009 at 11:13 PM Post #4 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IIRC, there were posts in the past talking about a portable, down-sized version of the HD 800 to come.

Now that might be interesting!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 14, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #6 of 100
What does he mean about the HD-800 being the smallest of the series? Are there going to be physically larger headphones, or does this mean there will be higher volume production headphones?

I would not be surprised to see Sennheiser release a few other cans with the ring radiator. It would make sense to bring out the "halo" product first, then introduce less expensive models that will capitalize on the HD-800's success.

Going on sheer speculation, there will probably be a model to sit between the HD-650 and HD-800. A portable would be nice, too.

Also, I assume this is separate from the new electrostat rumors?

Aug 14, 2009 at 12:21 AM Post #8 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now that might be interesting!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Indeed, because my immediate gripe about the shape of the HD 800 is that its earcups are wider than the K701/K702!

Aug 14, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #10 of 100
Looking forward to a cheaper iteration of the highly-successful HD 800. Imagine them being portable like the PX 100, that'll be awesome. I hope that the ring transducer becomes more available in other headphone models.

Aug 14, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #12 of 100
Now this is the kind of thing I hate. I'm still on the fence if I want the HD800 but a cheaper model with 800 technology is really appealing. I would think though Sennheiser would have to play it smart so as not to cut into potential sales of the 800. Probably not hand made, cheaper parts, no customized frequency charts, etc. It would have to sound signficantly better than the 600/650 but noticeably not as good as the 800, priced between $700-$800 with no discounts.

Aug 14, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #13 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What does he mean about the HD-800 being the smallest of the series? Are there going to be physically larger headphones...?

As I understand it, the HD 800 is just the lowest model of a new series of high-end headphones. Maybe the top model will have a larger ring radiator, reaching down to 4 Hz...

There's also talk about a 3D processor and a headphone amp for the HD 800 – just rumors as well (in the same linked thread).

Quote:

Also, I assume this is separate from the new electrostat rumors?

I guess so – moreover two rumors are better than one.

Aug 14, 2009 at 1:33 AM Post #15 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjsoviet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looking forward to a cheaper iteration of the highly-successful HD 800. Imagine them being portable like the PX 100, that'll be awesome. I hope that the ring transducer becomes more available in other headphone models.

That would be cool...as long as they don't sound anything like the PX 100.
evil_smiley.gif

biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back