Sennheiser HD 800 Headphones vs Shure SE535 Headphones
Aug 15, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #3 of 15

Quote:
Wait, what? Best earphone? Best headphone?

I didn't realize we had awarded winners?
tongue.gif

I own both and wouldn't classify them as the best I own.

But to answer the OP, the HD800s SMOKE the SE535s. The SE535s fit their purpose as IEMs (noise isolation and portability). They do sound great IMO and are just behind the Westone 4s are my favourite universal IEM, but they are a far cry from the HD800s.

Aug 16, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #4 of 15
The Shure SE535 are not the best earphone, they are designed for musicians as stage monitors for use on a stage, and not for hi-fi music listening and enjoyment.

There are earphones much cheaper than the SE535 that sound better, one such example is SE425.

There is a not a single person in the planet that thinks the SE535 sounds better than the Sony EX1000, for example, which is a hi-fi music listening earphone.

Aug 16, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #5 of 15

Quote:
The Shure SE535 are not the best earphone, they are designed for musicians as stage monitors for use on a stage, and not for hi-fi music listening and enjoyment.

There are earphones much cheaper than the SE535 that sound better, one such example is SE425.

There is a not a single person in the planet that thinks the SE535 sounds better than the Sony EX1000, for example, which is a hi-fi music listening earphone.

That is simply not true. The SE535 is marketed for audiophiles as well. BTW, I've heard the SE420/425 on several occasions and would gladly take the SE530/535 any day of the week. They are more expensive, but totally worth it in terms of improved bass, mids, and imaging.

Aug 16, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #6 of 15
Ok, maybe my comparison to SE425 is unfair, and I've only heard them both in quite brief listening sessions, but I hope you get the chance to listen to a Sony EX600 or EX1000, or a Final Audio model, or a JVC FX700, without any brand favoritism, and then I think you'll notice quite a different sound.

The SE535 is marketed towards both audiophiles and stage-musicians yes, but I think the sound is tailored more for stage musicians, there is the same problem with the J-phonic K2 SP.

Aug 16, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #7 of 15

Quote:
Ok, maybe my comparison to SE425 is unfair, and I've only heard them both in quite brief listening sessions, but I hope you get the chance to listen to a Sony EX600 or EX1000, or a Final Audio model, or a JVC FX700, without any brand favoritism, and then I think you'll notice quite a different sound.

The SE535 is marketed towards both audiophiles and stage-musicians yes, but I think the sound is tailored more for stage musicians, there is the same problem with the J-phonic K2 SP.

If by tailored for musicians because they are neutral, then we're in complete agreement here.

Aug 16, 2011 at 9:36 PM Post #8 of 15

Quote:
I didn't realize we had awarded winners?
tongue.gif

I own both and wouldn't classify them as the best I own.

But to answer the OP, the HD800s SMOKE the SE535s. The SE535s fit their purpose as IEMs (noise isolation and portability). They do sound great IMO and are just behind the Westone 4s are my favourite universal IEM, but they are a far cry from the HD800s.

Out of curiosity which are your fave headphones and IEM's?

Aug 16, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #12 of 15

Quote:
Thanks for responding :)

Any comparisons on the T1 vs the LCD-2?

Quote:
I'm curious about the T1 too, I hope I get to demo it one day.

The T1 is a fantastic dynamic headphone (my favourite dynamic headphone for that matter), but I prefer the LCD-2s and HE-6s.

Aug 16, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #14 of 15

Quote:
Headfonia has implied the new Hifiman HE-300 sounds better than the HD800.

I don't trust headfonias reviews, but I can see the HE-300 becoming a new FOTM.

Not really. They don't so much say it sounds better, but that it's just more musical (musicality is the word they use). It does mention in their review that the HE-300 is quite noticeably not as clear as for example, the HE-500 and not as technically impressive as the other high end dynamic driver phones.

Aug 17, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #15 of 15
Yeah

his exact words " I really think that the musicality aspect can go head to head with the big boys and even beat some of them (the HD800 would be a pretty easy one to beat). "

Sorry, my point is just the thread starter in question should realise that $300 headphones can beat $1400 headphones in certain aspects, such as the above, most people, especially newcomers, are interested in musicality, but they think more $ = better, it's a bit annoying that's all. =]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back