Sennheiser HD 700: Officially Unveiled at CES 2012!
Feb 15, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #1,786 of 3,545
I doubt it's full on carbon fiber though, it looks too perfectly molded. Often companies market "carbon fiber" when really it's just a hybrid of some sort between carbon fiber and plastic.

What I really want though is an HD900 with carbon nanotube construction.

(In reality though the HD800 is my 100% satisfied headphone currently, no desire to upgrade in the foreseeable future even if there was something substantially better.)

Feb 16, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #1,787 of 3,545

Quote:
I doubt it's full on carbon fiber though, it looks too perfectly molded. Often companies market "carbon fiber" when really it's just a hybrid of some sort between carbon fiber and plastic.

What I really want though is an HD900 with carbon nanotube construction.

No one really just uses JUST carbon fiber, it's all laminated with plastics. It's not a very usable material on its own.

Why would you ever want a headphone made out of carbon nanotubes? 

Feb 16, 2012 at 3:40 AM Post #1,788 of 3,545

Quote:

No one really just uses JUST carbon fiber, it's all laminated with plastics. It's not a very usable material on its own.

Why would you ever want a headphone made out of carbon nanotubes? 

well you have to admit Carbon Fiber does look pretty sick. especially on cars and at least i don't think it leads to massive amounts of finger oily prints. 

besides wouldn't this make it slightly *quote on quote* "Lighter" compared to other materials used? i mean sure hell is better than a full metal housing like dem dr.dre beats professional models.

-although for the higher-end models, this wont really dampen vibrations or anything-

but come on! How does this not make you NOT want a carbon fiber inspired headphone!
*envy and drool
ph34r.gif

and with great inspirational process with companies with great designs that seek our attention, i'd say it could be a winner.

but it does seem to me that phiaton and Sleek by 50cent has stepped foot.

i'm sure sennheiser is capable in pulling something cool.
(p.s. we're off topic again)

Feb 16, 2012 at 5:19 AM Post #1,789 of 3,545

Quote:
and with great inspirational process with companies with great designs that seek our attention, i'd say it could be a winner.

but it does seem to me that phiaton and Sleek by 50cent has stepped foot.

i'm sure sennheiser is capable in pulling something cool.
(p.s. we're off topic again)

Carbon fiber has been used on flagship headphones before:

It's incredibly delicate, one of the most of any headphones I've owned. You read horror stories from people who experienced the headbands snapping in half just from normal use.

Feb 16, 2012 at 6:41 AM Post #1,791 of 3,545
Feb 16, 2012 at 6:43 AM Post #1,792 of 3,545
As to the carbon fiber aesthetic, I used to like it very much. I don't feel the same way anymore, it's gaudy in a weird industrial way.

Feb 16, 2012 at 7:45 AM Post #1,793 of 3,545

Quote:
As to the carbon fiber aesthetic, I used to like it very much. I don't feel the same way anymore, it's gaudy in a weird industrial way.

I totally agree. Ironically, something about it just looks cheap to me. I think the huge influx of faux carbon fiber on cheap electronics kind of cheapened real carbon fiber.

Feb 16, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #1,794 of 3,545
I think I'm going to try my hand at these.

Need to send my LCD-2's in for repair (wood cracking) anyways. Will probably time my purhcase of these when I send my LCD's in (since I don't have any other headphone). I've always wanted to try the HD-800's, but never had the money for both the cans and the proper amping. So these 700's have an appeal to me.

I haven't heard a Sennheiser since the HD-600 3 years ago. So will be interesting to see what these sound like to me. 

Feb 17, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #1,795 of 3,545
Having never heard the HD-800 (I've only heard one Sennheiser, the HD-600), do you guys think the HD-700 will make a good compliment to my LCD-2s? I mean, obviously no one has heard the 700's yet. So I guess I'm going more off first impressions, and the sound of the HD-800.

LCD 2's are obviously known for their deep bass. But I always see people complain about the lack of bass in the Sennhesier. Or did I read that wrong? I'm not a bass head by any means, so that's not really a deterrence. Just kind of curious what I'll be getting myself into when I try these out. HOW wide is the gap is between these two headphones. And if this has been beat to death, my apologies. I'll just look up some HD-800 vs LCD-2 comparisons. Just figured i'd ask, since this thread is kind of in limbo with us waiting for more details 

Feb 17, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #1,796 of 3,545
Coming from HD650s, my HD800's bass is extremely satisfactory to me -- vastly superior to the HD650 bass obviously, but also (surprisingly to me) more of it in the sub-bass region -- just no mid-bass hump the HD650 has. The HD800 bass is perfect for the vast majority of music I listen to in such a way that adding a bass boost makes it too bassy, and removing any makes it too thin. This leads me to conclude it's "more or less" neutral, to my ears. 

The only flaw of the HD800 sound signature if any is the treble is slightly on the hot end if you don't have a dark-ish amp or EQ. I have a dark amp so it's perfect for me. The HD700 from reports, seems to have a bit less treble overall than the HD800 so is probably nearly perfect in that respect -- the only flaw being reports of it being more peaky than the HD800 despite less of it overall.

Feb 17, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #1,797 of 3,545
Thanks for that, really appreciate it.

That actually sounds like a perfect fit for me. Personally, I have sensitive ears. The LCD-2 sound doesn't bother much. I'll go days without having any issues. But some days, I get irritation (just depends on the loudness of the music and how hard the bass hits etc.).

I lack knowledge though, so could you explain what "peaky" means? I read another forum where people were complaining about that with the HD-700s. Since I'm not too educated on some of this stuff, I've mostly have to play it by ear (listening, and finding out for myself if the the sound of a headphone irritates my ears). For instance, I've always found the Grado 325is to been too much for me. 

Quote:
Coming from HD650s, my HD800's bass is extremely satisfactory to me -- vastly superior to the HD650 bass obviously, but also (surprisingly to me) more of it in the sub-bass region -- just no mid-bass hump the HD650 has. The HD800 bass is perfect for the vast majority of music I listen to in such a way that adding a bass boost makes it too bassy, and removing any makes it too thin. This leads me to conclude it's "more or less" neutral, to my ears. 

The only flaw of the HD800 sound signature if any is the treble is slightly on the hot end if you don't have a dark-ish amp or EQ. I have a dark amp so it's perfect for me. The HD700 from reports, seems to have a bit less treble overall than the HD800 so is probably nearly perfect in that respect -- the only flaw being reports of it being more peaky than the HD800 despite less of it overall.

Feb 17, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #1,798 of 3,545

Quote:
Having never heard the HD-800 (I've only heard one Sennheiser, the HD-600), do you guys think the HD-700 will make a good compliment to my LCD-2s? I mean, obviously no one has heard the 700's yet. So I guess I'm going more off first impressions, and the sound of the HD-800.

LCD 2's are obviously known for their deep bass. But I always see people complain about the lack of bass in the Sennhesier. Or did I read that wrong? I'm not a bass head by any means, so that's not really a deterrence. Just kind of curious what I'll be getting myself into when I try these out. HOW wide is the gap is between these two headphones. And if this has been beat to death, my apologies. I'll just look up some HD-800 vs LCD-2 comparisons. Just figured i'd ask, since this thread is kind of in limbo with us waiting for more details 

The gap is very wide.  The only way you can like the Hd800 and LCD-2 both is if you either aren't very picky, or enjoy the idea of different colorations in your headphones.  There's a number of those kinds of listeners, who just enjoy different takes on their recordings, and switching between phones.  I do not, and both phones sound off to me. 

Keep in mind, when someone tells you how perfect the HD800's bass is or the LCD-2's treble is, that is their opinion.  You're better off with a comparison so you can get a sense of things compared to the LCD-2 which you own and know. 

Feb 17, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #1,800 of 3,545
Peaks would mean a frequency range that is higher than the rest.  Musically it translates into some cymbals are bloody loud :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back