Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
May 18, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #482 of 9,329
Can anyone comment on how these headphones pair with the Schiit Magni, iFi iCAN or the O2?

I have an AppleTv driving the magni and it's great. They pair well - very clear and crisp. More power than you'll use. The extra power helps bring out some low end that might be missing on lesser systems and balances nicely. I use it for late night movies and the explosions are excellent :->

May 24, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #484 of 9,329
I vote a little more low end than the HD800 while maintaining great "air" and easy (and less picky) to drive. It'll handle more bass if you send it (eq, for example) and always maintains a sparkle in the high end. When amped well enough (Vmoda Vamp, Magni), I haven't had any issues with sibilance,

Jun 9, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #485 of 9,329
After sifting through this thread, I have one question before I leap at  these headphones. For those who own these headphones and a pair of AKG 240 Sextetts', is the HD 700 basically a more advanced sextett?

Jun 9, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #486 of 9,329
Quote:
I am now thinking either:
Tubes
WA7 or Lyr and Bifrost combo
Solid state
Centrance dacmini PX or burson conductor or HDVA600

The two im most interested in a re the conductor and WA7

Anyone tried those?

Someone over at Schiit Audio recommended the Valhalla for the HD700 to me, I am thinking of going that way with the BitFrost Uber.  HD700 or maybe the HD650 also considering the Grado RS1i or PS500.

Jun 9, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #487 of 9,329
Hey everyone,
I'm contemplating making a headphone by molding my own plastic and just building them from scratch, and the HD700 is the headphone I want to base the design on. I don't know if I'm going to try and make an exact replica of the 700 or not yet, but I would like to get the measurements on the cups. Can anyone here do that for me? I need to know how deep the cup is, how wide, tall, and just a couple pictures of them next to a ruler so I can kind of tell how big all the lines in the design are. I'm going to be making molds out of clay a little smaller than the cups are, and then heating up thermoplastic sheet to mold over the top of the clay molds. Thanks ahead of time!
-Casper

Jun 10, 2013 at 12:50 AM Post #488 of 9,329
Someone over at Schiit Audio recommended the Valhalla for the HD700 to me, I am thinking of going that way with the BitFrost Uber.  HD700 or maybe the HD650 also considering the Grado RS1i or PS500.

I find that recommendation a bit odd since the HD700's are fairly low impedance at 150 ohms and of pretty high sensitivity of 105db. The 700's simply are not in the target load that the Vahalla was designed for. Now I have been using my 700's quite successfully with the Lyr good low noise tubes. Since the gain is fixed and after the volume control, there is a very faint residual hum when no music is playing when using my Lorenz Stutgart PCC88s. I have to listen hard for it and no music regardless of level can be playing. I will say the JJ's that came with it are silent but do not have the demensionality of the Lorenz. Ideally, I would like to drop the gain in half which is why I am awaiting an audition of the Asgaard 2.

At the end of the day you cannot go wrong with the HD700 especially if you can get it at a discount as I did in the $750 range. Given that I have a high end Dunlavy anchored music system, I find no loss of pleasure or musical emotion when switching to headphones.

Jun 10, 2013 at 1:09 AM Post #489 of 9,329
If you find the HD700 low at 150 ohms then I guess the Grado line at 32 ohm and the Momentum @ 18 ohm must be super duper low! It was Jason at Schiit who made the recommendation, he said the Valhalla is a good match for the HD700.

Jun 10, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #490 of 9,329
If you find the HD700 low at 150 ohms then I guess the Grado line at 32 ohm and the Momentum @ 18 ohm must be super duper low! It was Jason at Schiit who made the recommendation, he said the Valhalla is a good match for the HD700.

Take a look at the output impedance of the Valhalla. It is 32 ohms. A good match is generally considered to be at least 8x load which I assume is why the product description talks about matting with 300 to 600 ohm ones. So yes those other.headphones are too low for the Valhalla unless you like the frequency modification and bass control changes that will occur.

Jun 10, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #491 of 9,329
Quote:
Take a look at the output impedance of the Valhalla. It is 32 ohms. A good match is generally considered to be at least 8x load which I assume is why the product description talks about matting with 300 to 600 ohm ones. So yes those other.headphones are too low for the Valhalla unless you like the frequency modification and bass control changes that will occur.

I realize about the other headphones, they were being used as an example of low impedance.  I was just saying is 150 ohms really considered "fairly low"? 

I emailed Jason to confirm what was said.

Jun 10, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #492 of 9,329
Quote:

I realize about the other headphones, they were being used as an example of low impedance.  I was just saying is 150 ohms really considered "fairly low"? 

I emailed Jason to confirm what was said.

To be clear I was saying fairly low for a 32 ohm output impedance as we are discussing the Valhalla. Of course if you were asking about headphones in general it is not.

Jun 10, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #493 of 9,329
Quote:
To be clear I was saying fairly low for a 32 ohm output impedance as we are discussing the Valhalla. Of course if you were asking about headphones in general it is not.

To be fair I have really been bugging the Schiit out of him the last few days! He has been very gracious and answered all of my questions very nicely. He may have made a mistake on one of our late night emails and meant to say Asgard 2 or Lyr instead of Valhalla.  I ordered a Valhalla today and will use it with HD650 or HD700, more than likely HD650.  Heck i may cheap out and run it with a pair of HD598 for a while till I can afford to get the HD700 or HD800!

Jun 10, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #494 of 9,329
Jason is sticking by the recommendation.  I don't see it as an issue though as I doubt I will be getting HD700 anytime soon.  Probably more likely to get HD650.  I thought I'd be able to use the Momentum for a while till I got the HD650/700 but it looks like a no go with those at 18 ohm...

Jun 11, 2013 at 7:04 AM Post #495 of 9,329
Quote:
Jason is sticking by the recommendation.  I don't see it as an issue though as I doubt I will be getting HD700 anytime soon.  Probably more likely to get HD650.  I thought I'd be able to use the Momentum for a while till I got the HD650/700 but it looks like a no go with those at 18 ohm...

If you can find a pair of HD580's in the FS forums, they're pretty great. Same drivers as the HD600. I love mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back