Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Jun 17, 2013 at 8:02 AM Post #497 of 9,298
Has anyone tried the headphone out section on any of these products
Audiolab Mdac
Musical fidelity M1HPAP
Peachtree audio nova 125
I'm thinking about getting one of these for my speaker system but also want to be able to use headphones.
The headphones I'm looking at are either the lcd2 or HD700.

Jun 17, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #498 of 9,298
Hello all. I was wondering if I could grab some people's attention in this thread to check out and give feedback on the HD 700 in another thread where I'm asking for recommendations.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/668440/open-back-recommendations-for-home-use

Am wondering if, considering my tastes, it is a viable can for me to purchase.

Jun 18, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #499 of 9,298
Quote:
Hello all. I was wondering if I could grab some people's attention in this thread to check out and give feedback on the HD 700 in another thread where I'm asking for recommendations.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/668440/open-back-recommendations-for-home-use

Am wondering if, considering my tastes, it is a viable can for me to purchase.

First, I do not agree with Kyle's criticism which has not been my experience at all. I come from Stax Lambda's where I was looking for mor dynamic range, low end extension, without loss of detail, soundstage and clean treble. My HD-700's fit that bill to a tee in the sub-$1000 price range.  As you, I listen to a full range of music but do not go below 320K for any serious listening.  Now as to you goals, the only one which the HD700 may not meet is the "punchy bass" which will be a problem for any open design. While they are very easily to drive they respond well to improvements in amplification. They give me as much pleasure as my full range Dunlavy speakers. Bottom line, you will not regret seriously auditioning them even if you don't purchase. 

Jun 19, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #500 of 9,298
Quote:
First, I do not agree with Kyle's criticism which has not been my experience at all. I come from Stax Lambda's where I was looking for mor dynamic range, low end extension, without loss of detail, soundstage and clean treble. My HD-700's fit that bill to a tee in the sub-$1000 price range.  As you, I listen to a full range of music but do not go below 320K for any serious listening.  Now as to you goals, the only one which the HD700 may not meet is the "punchy bass" which will be a problem for any open design. While they are very easily to drive they respond well to improvements in amplification. They give me as much pleasure as my full range Dunlavy speakers. Bottom line, you will not regret seriously auditioning them even if you don't purchase. 

Thanks. Yeah, the feedback on these are extremely polarizing. From what I've read, they sound like something I'd really like, but every time I throw it out there, I get a fair amount of people trying to sway me away from them. It's turning into one of those cans I'm labeling as a risk over others such as the HE-500. It's unfortunate.

Jun 19, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #501 of 9,298
I need your help folks I'm looking to use my HD700 on the streets I don't mind the background noise of course I'm ready for it at any given moment even at home there's some noise, so of course...

Anyway help me out cause I'm looking for a portable cable that fits this one, are there any?

Jun 24, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #502 of 9,298
Quote:
I had the HD700's for about a month with a pretty significant burn in period, and i was a little torn. For such a large price the quality i was hearing was pretty superb but was lacking in my opinion. Dont get me wrong they sounded fantastic and when compared to the LCD-2's they did a decent job considering the price point but over all i think that they were just not as full as i was looking for and for the price i can get them for i might just try them again in the future. After all they look amazing and i wasn't disappointed just not as educated as i am now. i would much rather have the LCD-2's IMO for the price.

I had these for 2 months before i had to sell them. I just can't stand the HD-700 or HD-800. I get so much fatigue, that it gets to the point that my ears were in sharp pain for days at a time. Very rarely do I get this kind of pain with heapdhones (and not, it wasn't the volume level). Ultimately I think it's a mix of two things. I. I didn't have the proper amping/dac to get the best out of these cans. And II. My ears are just really sensitive to their sound signature (or anything that has really high peaks or treble). 

Jun 26, 2013 at 3:44 AM Post #504 of 9,298
Quote:
Keep away from Grate-O, oops, I mean Grado.

Ah yes, I've tried so many Grado, and learned that lesson the hard way. I actually was quite fond of the PS-500's though. My only issue with those was just the build. I've always found Grado's to be kind of uncomfortable. But that's just me. You don't have to me tell me twice to stay far away from the the 325is. My poor poor ears.

I wish I wasn't so sensitive, really sucks.  

Jul 1, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #506 of 9,298
Quote:
how would taylor swift sound in these, and would it go good with the jds labs objective 2?

I personally found male and female vocals really great on the HD 700. I'm sure Taylor would sound spunky as ever.
I can't say how well the O2 amp would drive them (I believe they are much easier to drive than the HD 800) but I'd also wonder if a tube amp would help to tame the bright high end as compared to solid state.

If anyone is interested here is my full review of the HD 700 based on several days with a demo-

I've also been able to spend a lot of time with a demo HD 700 thanks to Justin at Headamp. And as an owner of the HD 650 and HE-400, I must say that I have very much enojoyed them and have definitely surpased my expectations.

My first impression of the build quality was met with skepticism (especially for a $1000 headphone) but once they were on, my skepticism disappeared. I used to think Mr. Speakers Mad Dogs were the most comfortable, but the HD 700 knocks that theory right out. They are the HD 800's lighter, smaller cousin and also happen to be the most comfortable headphones I've ever tried on. Thanks to the HD 700, now when I put on my HE-400 it feels like I have two paint cans pressed up to my ears. I had the HD 700 on for nearly two and a half hours in one sitting and I only had to adjust them one time. You could easily forget they are even on your head at times.
The soft nylon cable is a nice touch, and feels very sturdy. Unfortunately the y-split and 1/4" plug, while solid, have a rather cheap look to them.

The treble on the HD 700 was odd sounding at first, almost metallic, but after my ears adjusted I fell for the vibrant, detailed sound sig. It is certainly a brighter headphone than the HD 650, but from my memory of the HD 800, I'd have to say the HD 700 seems less bright to me. Of course it could definitely be dependent on the equipment.
The bass is very good, tight and lots of detail, I agree it does make the HD 650 bass sound slow and muddy in comparison. Imaging is fantastic here and with the right track, you can feel like you're standing in the studio with the musicians. Detail is also very impressive...not micro detailed, but detailed enough to hear a lot of stuff you will have missed previously. Guitars sound amazing on the HD 700. I also really enjoyed male and female vocals, and it's easy to pick up on every breath and lip-smack.

Soundstage is good, but lacks the airiness of the HE-400. If you're expecting the HD 700 soundstage to be closer to that of say the HD 800, you'll be sorely disappointed. It's actually a lot closer to the HD 650 in terms of soundstage. This is actually the one area that is most averge.

Only complaint is the price. While personally, I do think they are overall a better headphone than the HD 650, I don't think they are $500-$600 better. It's at an odd place in Sennheiser's lineup, and for a grand, I'd rather just save a bit more and go for the HD 800. If it were in the $500-$600 range I would own them and sell the HD 650 (and maybe even the HE-400) without remorse. But at $1000 dollars I would have to agree that there are other options out there that would certainly fit the bill more for certain people's tastes.

Jul 1, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #508 of 9,298
I have spent only a little time listening to the LCD-2 (second rev.) and even less with the HE-500, so take this at face value...but I can tell you certain things that stick out in my mind-

HE-500 vocals are placed more forward and everything else seemed to blend nicely around the vocals. Bass, from what I remember, is just as natural and detailed. I'd love to spend more time with the HE-500 as I think it would probably give the HD-700 the most run for its money.

LCD-2 has sweeter, lush mid range and is much darker... HD 700 probably sounds a little harsher by comparison. Soundstage on LCD-2 is not as defined, sounds more like a wall of sound. HD 700 is a lot more 3D sounding, though not particularly wide or deep. LCD-2 is also not very comfortable for longer listening sessions, IMO.

Jul 1, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #509 of 9,298
dang the he 500 is swaying me away, after reading all the stuffs the he 500 is by far cheaper (300) dollars cheaper, that will give me more room to spend on other things, is the cups on the he 500 plastic or metal?

Jul 1, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #510 of 9,298
metal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back