Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Apr 14, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #466 of 9,329
Interesting.  I bought my Lyr used and never experienced the low level hum.  I emailed Jason to see if it had the relay and it did not. Off to Schiit to get the relay installed as I like to have the phones plugged in all the time.  When I got it back, no difference really.  
Anyway, really enjoying the Bifrost/Lyr HD700 combo.

On another note, just picked up the Audinst HUD-MX2. It's surprisingly good with the HD700 and beats any other entry level combo I've had.  Going back and forth between the Schiit stack and Audinst, I'm consistently impressed at how well it drives the HD700 and how good it sounds. Very smooth treble with a little roll off, good soundstage and drive.  It's not the Schiit stack but I'm really pleased with it.  It also works quite well with my iPad Mini (with the a/c adaptor plugged in). If anyone is looking for a second setup on the cheap, I'd highly recommend it.

Apr 18, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #467 of 9,329
I love this headphone so much, even more so than my LCD3 at some point : )
They are easy to drive, super comfy and non-fatiguing sounding which can make me listen for hours and hours (just like the Westone 4)

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #468 of 9,329
I found this one at Mouser Electronics. It's seriously cheap, but works ok. I had to leave off the casing and just use heat shrink instead. And even doing that, I couldn't heat shrink to the top - had to keep it down to the bottom of the threads for everything to fit into the recessed jack of the 700.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Kobiconn/171-3304-EX/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMv%252bpRBatHuI1lSGVBfNJWoH

I'd love to find a better plug, but the diameter seems to be a major hindrance!

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #469 of 9,329
smcginni, how much of a change would you say your custom cable made to how they sound? What degree?

There is certainly less "sparkle" but not in a bad way. A little rolled off but overall less fatiguing. I wouldn't go so far as to compare them to my HD650, but it's enough to notice. I'm very happy with the change. On older recordings, it's a little more forgiving. On newer ones that are well mastered, I wouldn't mind just a tiny bit of that "air" back.

Keep in mind that I'm running them with my iPhone 4S or with a Vamp Verza, so we're not talking high powered home amps. I haven't listened to them off my magni yet, but it's connected to my home stereo for movie watching and I use my HE-500 for that, anyway (prefer the big rumble explosions of those).

Apr 22, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #470 of 9,329
hey I'm looking at getting a HD700 and was wondering what amp to use with it. Here as some of the amps I've considered:
Schiit Lyr with Bifrost
ALO Panam
Woo Audio WA7
I've seen people talking about the Lyr on this thread, but I was hoping someone may have tried the other amps or even better tried two/all of the amps so can compare them with the hd700. Any great amps ive missed. I have a budget of around £1000, for the amp. I have have a Arcam rPac  could use as a DAC with the amp untill i get a better dac.

Apr 22, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #472 of 9,329
The Arcam rPAC is terrible with the HD700.. It's OK feeding the Lyr.  I can vouch for the Bifrsot/Lyr combo with Amperex Orange Globe tubes. You may be on the right track with using the rPAC DAC but once you get the amp, it probably won't be long before you upgrade that also.  The HD700 are very resolving with great detail.
I haven't heard any other amps yet with the HD700 but am going to a HeadFi meet in May.  Personally I'm looking at the Woo WA7 as my end game.
From what I can gather, anything that works well with the HD800 will work well with the HD700.  Since you're in the UK, you may want to consider the Lake People or Violetric gear. Just some Ideas from what I've been reading.
Good Luck!
Quote:
hey I'm looking at getting a HD700 and was wondering what amp to use with it. Here as some of the amps I've considered:
Schiit Lyr with Bifrost
ALO Panam
Woo Audio WA7
I've seen people talking about the Lyr on this thread, but I was hoping someone may have tried the other amps or even better tried two/all of the amps so can compare them with the hd700. Any great amps ive missed. I have a budget of around £1000, for the amp. I have have a Arcam rPac  could use as a DAC with the amp untill i get a better dac.

May 18, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #477 of 9,329
HD700 is warmer than hd800, with more mid-bass to create a friendly atmosphere good for most pop songs. It is very versatile and comfy headphone that can be driven by some high-end DAPs like DX100 and HM901. I enjoy them a lot.

May 18, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #480 of 9,329
It actually sounds closer to a HD598 than a HD650. It's like a thinner,airier, more refined and brighter/more sparkly version of the HD598.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back