Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Nov 6, 2012 at 5:18 AM Post #211 of 9,320
Hi,

I am using the HD700 now and I listen to classical music. Unfortunately, I am using a different setup from yours which consist of: Cambridge Audio DAC Magic, Objective 2 Amplifier and FLAC.

However, with my setup, I find the HD700 to be:

1. Good mids and highs.
2. Bass wise, I can't comment much because I am not a bass head. But the bass is ok enough for me, it doesn't degrade the quality of my Beethoven's recording.

i love my hd700!

Nov 7, 2012 at 4:21 AM Post #212 of 9,320
Quote:
Already posted in recommendations thread without luck, now posting here before opening a new thread:

Hi there, currently I own an HD 598, paired with Apple ipod nano 6th gen, HRT istreamer and Schiit Asgard. I'm very satisfied so far with this combo, but I'm looking for an headphone upgrade with eventually more resolution, bass and even wider soundstage (HD 598 having already a big soundstage).
I was leaning toward  Senn HD 700 but I'm a bit concerned after all the negative impressions I read in this forum: too bad I cannot have any chance to audition them before purchase.
I'm looking for an advice mainly from someone who has/had both hd 598 and hd 700, even better if matched with Asgard: I need to know if HD 700 is a consistent upgrade with regard to HD598.
The musical genres I listen to are mostly soundtracks, rock, pop and classical.

Get them bought and enjoy them. I've had my HD700's for a few months now and love them. I originally had HD558's but always felt they were a bit 'shut-in' compared with listening through speakers. The 700's are much more natural sounding.

I don't understand where all the negative comments are coming from - I can only deduce that they're either a) parroted by people who haven't actually heard them or b) people judging too quickly on HD700's that haven't had very much/if any burn in time. They do get better after the first 10-20 hrs. They open up and become more musical, bass gets more extended too.

Hope that helps, Gary.

Nov 8, 2012 at 2:01 AM Post #213 of 9,320
Well, trying my hand at these.

Have someone lending me their pair next week. I'm going to be sourcing them with the Lyr > Bifrost. I actually owned the HD-800s last year when I didn't have anything to power them. And I gave up on them, because the treble drove my ears nuts (I loved the comfort, loved the sound. Probably my favorite headphones of all time, but I got physical ear aches from the sound signature).

I've read that the HD-700 is warmer than the HD-800 (I personally like Dark headphones). But I've also read a lot of people ay that the treble on the HD-700 are much harsher than the HD-800.

So I plan on EQing the treble down, and seeing if I can make these work. I would shoot for the HD-800 again, but don't currently have the money for them. So seeing if the HD-700 can fit in nicely with my LCD-2's, HD-600's. 

Nov 9, 2012 at 5:42 AM Post #214 of 9,320
So am looking into maybe buying the HD 700, currently have Denon AH-D2000, which i've been very happy with. Am no audio guru, but i got to listen to the HD 700 yesterday, as well as a few other headphones, and i really liked the sound from the HD 700, also they where super comfortable. But am a bit unsure if my soundcard(Creative X-FI Titaniumk HD will be able to drive these cans good enough, which its done for the Denon's, and am also not quite sure on the bass of the HD 700 either, as i like a bit of low bass.

Any thoughts on that?

Nov 9, 2012 at 9:50 AM Post #215 of 9,320
Hmm...

The HD700 is of 150ohms impedance which is lower than most other "home use" cans. So I think your soundcard should be able to power it...it's not a fussy headphone

As for bass; what do you mean by low bass?

I can feel the bass when I'm listening to Beethoven (if this helps)

Nov 9, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #216 of 9,320
Well am now a happy owner of HD 700, was out today, checking different stores and listening to 6-7 different headphones and DAC+amp combos, and then i got a decent offer on the HD 700 which i couldn't say no to.

Am no sound expert, so i can't really claim i hear this massive difference in sound between amp, dac's and headphones, and so far the HD 700 sounds awesome on just the soundcard, can't say am missing anything from when i listened to them in the store.

One thing that the HD 700 have going for it, is the comfort, which is just incredible, and comfort is a big one for me.

Anyway, not sure how to describe the "low bass", but i find the HD 700 more than enough in that regard so far, so as of right now, am really happy with the purchase =)

Nov 9, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #217 of 9,320
Just bought my brand new HD 700 and I'm really happy with them!
Tbh I was a bit scared to make such a purchase without any chance to audition them before. Coming from HD 598, I was looking for more powerful and tighter bass and even wider soundstage: I'm glad to say I have found exactly what I was looking for and much more!
Trebles in my opinion are not harsh at all: maybe I'm just not very sensitive to them (I'm 40 and cannot hear past 15khz), but sound seems overall full and very exciting to me.
I really do not miss anything of my previous cans, even if I keep thinking they worth more than their price.
HD 700 feel pretty solid, are absolutely comfortable and my Asgard drives them really well. What surprised me more is keeping the volume knob exactly at the same level I set it for my HD 598: between 9 and 10 o'clock.
I tossed to them about all music genres and they seem to be a perfect all rounder, as the previous ones, but with more quality and quantity!
They are not a bargain like HD 598, for sure, but I think they absolutely worth their price: they gave to me the fuller bass I was looking for without loosing clarity. Now I have a richer and even more transparent sound that I'm enjoying very much! 

Nov 9, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #218 of 9,320
Quote:
Just bought my brand new HD 700 and I'm really happy with them!
Tbh I was a bit scared to make such a purchase without any chance to audition them before. Coming from HD 598, I was looking for more powerful and tighter bass and even wider soundstage: I'm glad to say I have found exactly what I was looking for and much more!
Trebles in my opinion are not harsh at all: maybe I'm just not very sensitive to them (I'm 40 and cannot hear past 15khz), but sound seems overall full and very exciting to me.
I really do not miss anything of my previous cans, even if I keep thinking they worth more than their price.
HD 700 feel pretty solid, are absolutely comfortable and my Asgard drives them really well. What surprised me more is keeping the volume knob exactly at the same level I set it for my HD 598: between 9 and 10 o'clock.
I tossed to them about all music genres and they seem to be a perfect all rounder, as the previous ones, but with more quality and quantity!
They are not a bargain like HD 598, for sure, but I think they absolutely worth their price: they gave to me the fuller bass I was looking for without loosing clarity. Now I have a richer and even more transparent sound that I'm enjoying very much! 

looks like i got my next purchase plan right here
biggrin.gif

Nov 18, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #221 of 9,320
Quote:
Already posted in recommendations thread without luck, now posting here before opening a new thread:

Hi there, currently I own an HD 598, paired with Apple ipod nano 6th gen, HRT istreamer and Schiit Asgard. I'm very satisfied so far with this combo, but I'm looking for an headphone upgrade with eventually more resolution, bass and even wider soundstage (HD 598 having already a big soundstage).
I was leaning toward  Senn HD 700 but I'm a bit concerned after all the negative impressions I read in this forum: too bad I cannot have any chance to audition them before purchase.
I'm looking for an advice mainly from someone who has/had both hd 598 and hd 700, even better if matched with Asgard: I need to know if HD 700 is a consistent upgrade with regard to HD598.
The musical genres I listen to are mostly soundtracks, rock, pop and classical.

I would seriously suggest staying away from the HD700. Wait for Senn to release an HD750. The HD700 has caused tinnitus for some people (hearing damage). 

Nov 18, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #222 of 9,320
Quote:
I would seriously suggest staying away from the HD700. Wait for Senn to release an HD750. The HD700 has caused tinnitus for some people (hearing damage). 

what? how is that possible? its not like the treble has a +10 db from 5k onwards. they must have been listening to very loud volumes then

Nov 18, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #223 of 9,320
Quote:
Quote:

what? how is that possible? its not like the treble has a +10 db from 5k onwards. they must have been listening to very loud volumes then

I'm not saying it makes sense, I'm saying that's what happens. The treble is incredibly harsh and peaky.

Nov 18, 2012 at 1:44 AM Post #224 of 9,320
Quote:
I'm not saying it makes sense, I'm saying that's what happens. The treble is incredibly harsh and peaky.

hmm how harsh is it compared to a grado/alessandro lets say SR60i and MS1i? or any other model

Users who are viewing this thread

Back