Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Oct 22, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #196 of 9,320
Quote:
Really? Have you spent some time with them or just going off the graphs? I hate Grados (owned 2 sets) and absolutely love the HD700s.  I find them smooth with great extension and superb bass. You really need to spend some time to appreciate them.

I suppose you listened to low end grados?

Oct 22, 2012 at 9:00 AM Post #197 of 9,320
Yes, used to own the 60i and 80i. Not my kind of headphone. Sold them of within three months or so to go to the HD600. Had the HD600 for a while and  really gave them a good try but agin, weren't for me until I went to the HD650 which I really enjoyed and had for over a year.  They were surpassed by the HE400 and the HD700 driven by the Schiit Bifrost and Lyr.
Not that I should really care but I haven't seen a headphone bashed as much as the HD700. For me, the latest Headphonia review is pretty accurate. YMMV.
The real value of HeadFi is reading objective opinions from people who either own or have had extensive use of a product with a decent setup.  This is a starting point for me to try something. If it works for me, great, if not, I move on.  The exception is the HD700 which I auditioned for a good hour each on three separate visits before I purchased them.  It works for me, may not work for others.
Don't see your point about the Grados.
Quote:
I suppose you listened to low end grados?

Oct 22, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #198 of 9,320
Quote:
Yes, used to own the 60i and 80i. Not my kind of headphone. Sold them of within three months or so to go to the HD600. Had the HD600 for a while and  really gave them a good try but agin, weren't for me until I went to the HD650 which I really enjoyed and had for over a year.  They were surpassed by the HE400 and the HD700 driven by the Schiit Bifrost and Lyr.
Not that I should really care but I haven't seen a headphone bashed as much as the HD700. For me, the latest Headphonia review is pretty accurate. YMMV.
The real value of HeadFi is reading objective opinions from people who either own or have had extensive use of a product with a decent setup.  This is a starting point for me to try something. If it works for me, great, if not, I move on.  The exception is the HD700 which I auditioned for a good hour each on three separate visits before I purchased them.  It works for me, may not work for others.

The lower end Grado's aren't half as good as the higher end series. I would greatly suggest trying an RS2i.

Oct 23, 2012 at 11:28 AM Post #199 of 9,320
I've heard everything but the *1000 cans and still haven't found a single one I liked enough to even consider buying it. The PS500 was the closest, but they're just not my cup of tea at all...Unfortunate as I love their cables. Nice and simple. 

Quote:
The lower end Grado's aren't half as good as the higher end series. I would greatly suggest trying an RS2i.

Oct 23, 2012 at 9:51 PM Post #200 of 9,320
Quote:

Christmas is getting closer!  You still planning on those LCD-2s?

Oct 24, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #201 of 9,320
Yes, just need to prioritize. Loving the HD700 more and more so the 'need' to get the LCD2 is lessening.  Have a pre-order for the v-moda M-100 since I'm not a big fan of over-ears (love the sound of my M-80 but want a full over ear).  Don't like what I'm reading about the bass on the Momentum even-though I love the looks.  Next up is a new kick butt Mac Mini with the Fusion Drive and then seeing how the finances go, the LCD2.
Quote:
Christmas is getting closer!  You still planning on those LCD-2s?

Oct 24, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #202 of 9,320
Quote:
Don't like what I'm reading about the bass on the Momentum even-though I love the looks.

Bass is a tad heavy on the Momentum Mickey but would strongly suggest a listen to a 'run in' pair just to be sure. I'm very happy with mine and appreciate the slightly lumpier sound as I only use them in noisy environments such as McDonalds and/or city streets :)

Oct 25, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #203 of 9,320
Hey guys,

I hope you don't mind me asking, are any of you having problems with the HD700's earpads?

I have been using my HD700 daily for almost 2 months now and the earpads are mega-compressed. Compressed to the point that somtimes I can feel my ears touching the inner cloth (the one with the Sennheiser logo)!

In addition, I am starting to find the headphones to be very uncomfortable to wear! I can feel a clamping pressure at the base of my ears and it persists for a while even after the cans have been taken off!

I love the HD700's sound but the earpads are starting to 'sour' the enjoyment...

Oct 25, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #204 of 9,320
Quote:
Hey guys,

I hope you don't mind me asking, are any of you having problems with the HD700's earpads?

I have been using my HD700 daily for almost 2 months now and the earpads are mega-compressed. Compressed to the point that somtimes I can feel my ears touching the inner cloth (the one with the Sennheiser logo)!

In addition, I am starting to find the headphones to be very uncomfortable to wear! I can feel a clamping pressure at the base of my ears and it persists for a while even after the cans have been taken off!

I love the HD700's sound but the earpads are starting to 'sour' the enjoyment...

I've read the hd700 use similar earpad to hd800, weird.

Oct 25, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #206 of 9,320
No problem here.  No pad compression and I use them daily. Had mine since June and comfy as ever.. probably the most comfortable headphone I have ever tried. And I have a fairly large head.
Quote:
Hey guys,

Oct 25, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #207 of 9,320
Glad to hear that it's working for you guys!

The problem has been bugging me for 2/3 weeks now grrr

I'm not sure if there is anything that may be done short of buying replacement earpads from Sennheiser? 

Oh yes, I think the HD700 earpads aren't derived from the HD800, it feels softer and less firm?

Oct 26, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #208 of 9,320
Well, I think I've finally settled into my final(for now) setup with the HD-700s.  Had a schiit Valhalla for 5 days now, liked the sound paired with my fiio, but it just wasn't quite there,  realized that with the price of the Dac-it which was on order and a few more bucks I could get the Decco65...so here we are.  Headphone section on it is fantastic, a lot more open and much cleaner sounding, and the amp section rocks it with my Martin Logan Motion 4s.  Also, these headphones just keep getting better and better every day, can't say enough good about them. 
L3000.gif

Oct 26, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #209 of 9,320
Congrats.. quite satisfying when everything comes together.  I have the Motion 4's in my main AV system and use them as rears.  Always wanted to try them on my desk.
Quote:
Well, I think I've finally settled into my final(for now) setup with the HD-700s.  Had a schiit Valhalla for 5 days now, liked the sound paired with my fiio, but it just wasn't quite there,  realized that with the price of the Dac-it which was on order and a few more bucks I could get the Decco65...so here we are.  Headphone section on it is fantastic, a lot more open and much cleaner sounding, and the amp section rocks it with my Martin Logan Motion 4s.  Also, these headphones just keep getting better and better every day, can't say enough good about them. 
L3000.gif

Nov 6, 2012 at 4:20 AM Post #210 of 9,320
Already posted in recommendations thread without luck, now posting here before opening a new thread:

Hi there, currently I own an HD 598, paired with Apple ipod nano 6th gen, HRT istreamer and Schiit Asgard. I'm very satisfied so far with this combo, but I'm looking for an headphone upgrade with eventually more resolution, bass and even wider soundstage (HD 598 having already a big soundstage).
I was leaning toward  Senn HD 700 but I'm a bit concerned after all the negative impressions I read in this forum: too bad I cannot have any chance to audition them before purchase.
I'm looking for an advice mainly from someone who has/had both hd 598 and hd 700, even better if matched with Asgard: I need to know if HD 700 is a consistent upgrade with regard to HD598.
The musical genres I listen to are mostly soundtracks, rock, pop and classical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back