Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
May 18, 2019 at 10:30 PM Post #8,778 of 9,320

Last edited:
May 21, 2019 at 3:26 PM Post #8,779 of 9,320
Aug 18, 2019 at 4:05 PM Post #8,782 of 9,320
Aug 19, 2019 at 9:25 AM Post #8,784 of 9,320
Sorry, another question. Headband replacement? Sennheisser is charging $90 for it, but that is a bit steep. Will the replacement pads for HD600/650 work? I'm also ok with one of those headband covers, but I have not tried them.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2019 at 2:06 PM Post #8,786 of 9,320
Sorry for the bump, but does anyone have experience with different aftermarket earpads on these headphones?

I was impressed by the more present midrange in the Dekoni Audio pads. I do some social media consulting for Dekoni (look at my name tag), though I’m not actually their employee, they’re one of my clients. They sent me a pair to try out in my home, and the measurements they posted bear out. I honestly liked them so much I sent the measurements to some contacts I have at Sennheiser, but I have no control over what either company does.

When you do change the HD 700 pads, they come off pretty easily, but there’s a trick to putting the new pads on. Watch Dekoni’s video.

Aug 19, 2019 at 3:07 PM Post #8,787 of 9,320

Unfortunate

I was impressed by the more present midrange in the Dekoni Audio pads. I do some social media consulting for Dekoni (look at my name tag), though I’m not actually their employee, they’re one of my clients. They sent me a pair to try out in my home, and the measurements they posted bear out. I honestly liked them so much I sent the measurements to some contacts I have at Sennheiser, but I have no control over what either company does.

When you do change the HD 700 pads, they come off pretty easily, but there’s a trick to putting the new pads on. Watch Dekoni’s video.

Which dekoni pad did you get? I was reading that it made the treble issue worse and that they're too thick so people's ears wouldn't fit in the pad.

Aug 20, 2019 at 1:38 AM Post #8,789 of 9,320
Which dekoni pad did you get? I was reading that it made the treble issue worse and that they're too thick so people's ears wouldn't fit in the pad.

Without trying it myself, it sounds like a loose connection. Does the issue happen with other sources too (computer, phone, gaming device, music player, TV receiver, etc)? I’d test that before buying a new cable, though the stock cable is pretty long and stiff.

I tried all four, the Velour were my favorite. I didn’t find the treble issue to be worse... the treble looks higher on the graphs, but the mids (where most of us usually judge our volume setting) are much closer to the tip of the treble peak than with stock. The treble doesn’t stand out as much when you listen, because it’s less of a v-shaped frequency response.

52A20007-50F8-4618-84E4-29C0D2E83CA0.jpeg
I don’t envy anyone whose ears don’t fit in the HD 700. The pads are virtually the same diameter as the stock ones, they’re just squared off instead of rounded, plus the depth is greater. I don’t have the headphone anymore, but let me see if I still have a pad to take a picture... probably in the morning.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2019 at 6:01 AM Post #8,790 of 9,320
What I noticed was that the sound seems fine until I jangle the connecting wires (Which naturally happens when I move my head). I reconnected the wire and the issue persists. Since it was second hand, I went ahead and ordered a cable replacement.

Would pads that thick cause TMJ to act up? I have been through a lot of headphones before the HD700 just to avoid pressure on my jaw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back