Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Nov 5, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #8,671 of 9,320
Hi everybody,

I don't know if this subject has been talked about earlier on this thread. I was wondering how the HD700 compares against the AKG Q701 in terms of soundstage and overall imaging? I love the Q701 especially for Jazz, acoustic and classical music. Would the HD700 be an upgrade in comparison to the Q701?

Sorry if this has been talked about earlier on this thread but I couldn't get into 578 pages to find the answer. Thanks in advance.

Nov 5, 2018 at 3:21 PM Post #8,673 of 9,320
After initially ranking the HD58X over the HD700 I've now turned around and once again consider the HD700 my second favorite Sennheiser after the HD800S (I've also got the HD558, 598, 650 and 569). The HD58X feel a bit muffled and muted in comparison to the more quick and airy HD700.

Nov 5, 2018 at 4:24 PM Post #8,674 of 9,320
No problem. Been there, done that.

By the way I found out this morning that I had the winning bid on Ebay for a pair of HD 700s. Hopefully I will soon be able to post my real impressions of how they compare to the HD 598s out of an LG V40.
looks like your post scared off any potential bidders worked :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. FWIW I had a pair of HD598 and didn't care for them but it might have been due me being used or preferring the sound signature of my Stax SRD-34 and HE400 at the time and my friend Jessica that I gave them to loves them on her Mac Book Pro.

Nov 5, 2018 at 4:51 PM Post #8,675 of 9,320
Hi everybody,

I don't know if this subject has been talked about earlier on this thread. I was wondering how the HD700 compares against the AKG Q701 in terms of soundstage and overall imaging? I love the Q701 especially for Jazz, acoustic and classical music. Would the HD700 be an upgrade in comparison to the Q701?

Sorry if this has been talked about earlier on this thread but I couldn't get into 578 pages to find the answer. Thanks in advance.
While I love the HD700 for jazz, acoustic and classical (large orchestra) due to its sound stage and imaging I've found that for small groups (trio, quartet, etc) I will usually listen with my RS2e or Ypsilon R1 due to the timbre being more natural to me and the sound stage is like I'm sitting a few feet in front of the small group. I don't have the Q701 but have heard them a few times but didn't care for them since it was a bit thin sounding and was a touch harsh in the treble to me but I do have a K7XX which has a decent sound stage but is a bit boring to me with some genres.

Nov 7, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #8,676 of 9,320
Hi everybody,

I did just happen to come across this review: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/sennheiser-hd-700-headphone.13803/. Scroll down to the post "Full Upgrade To My AKG K701"
Written by Ataka. I believe that unit is similar to to the AKG Q701.

Nov 9, 2018 at 2:46 PM Post #8,677 of 9,320
Well I received my used HD 700s this afternoon from Ebay. Have spent about an hour listening on my LG 40 and so far they sound to me like the HD 598s, but with much more detail, clarity and instrument separation. The sound stage does not appear that different from what I am used to. Definitely more pronounced and tighter bass and the treble is wonderful to my ears. Have not yet had the feeling that a double-edged drywall saw has been hammered into my eardrums, so that's a plus. So far have listened to some classical, Norah Jones and Alison Krauss and quite happy with the sound. The vocals don't seem to be as up front and in your face as the HD 598s but still very warm and lush.

I am not an audiophile and don't know all of the fancy stuff you guys and gals talk about, but for someone looking to get as much enjoyment out of my music as I can, I think it was a smart upgrade, especially for what I paid.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2018 at 10:22 AM Post #8,678 of 9,320
I finished my review of the new Dekoni Pads for the HD700s here. I really like what the fenestrated sheepskin does for the HD700 in both looks and sound quality.

Nov 11, 2018 at 4:37 PM Post #8,680 of 9,320
Hi,
currently I own Momentum 2.0 and I'm looking for open-back headphones for home & comfort listening. I love how Momentum's sound when wired to a laptop, but I'm a little bit disappointed the way they sound on the iPhone wired (which is a lil' bit strange). Also, they can be very uncomfortable even after an hour. :/
After about 6hours or maybe even more of researching i'm down to two choices: HD660s & HD700. At this moment I'm leaning towards HD660s because they seem to fix some problems HD700 had and reviews seem to be more positive about HD660s.
I'm going to use them with Magni 3 AMP and macbook pro's built-in DAC (maybe later upgrade to modi?). Mostly listening to indie/psychedelic/classical rock, classical music, acoustic guitar.
Any advice? Should I just go with my gut feeling and get HD660s? Thanks a lot!

Nov 11, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #8,681 of 9,320
Hi,
currently I own Momentum 2.0 and I'm looking for open-back headphones for home & comfort listening. I love how Momentum's sound when wired to a laptop, but I'm a little bit disappointed the way they sound on the iPhone wired (which is a lil' bit strange). Also, they can be very uncomfortable even after an hour. :/
After about 6hours or maybe even more of researching i'm down to two choices: HD660s & HD700. At this moment I'm leaning towards HD660s because they seem to fix some problems HD700 had and reviews seem to be more positive about HD660s.
I'm going to use them with Magni 3 AMP and macbook pro's built-in DAC (maybe later upgrade to modi?). Mostly listening to indie/psychedelic/classical rock, classical music, acoustic guitar.
If you already have the Magni3 then I'd go with the HD660S since the HD700 was not a good pairing with the Magni3 IMO, a bit too bright at times for me. If you don't have the Magni3 then I'd go with the HD700 since to me its a bit more extended in the bass and treble than the HD660S, has a much better sound stage / positional audio and is a bit more comfortable IMO but doesn't go well with some gear (amps) but if you have a decent hybrid or OTL amp the HD700 is quite a bit better on better gear to me where the HD660S doesn't seem to scale as much on better gear from my limited time with them.

If price is an issue then I'd suggest the HD58X, fairly close in sound to the HD660S for about 1/3-1/4 the price and like the HD660S sounds quite good on a wide variety of gear.

Nov 11, 2018 at 7:27 PM Post #8,682 of 9,320
The short answer is yes, it will be an upgrade.

Hi everybody,

Nov 12, 2018 at 12:19 AM Post #8,683 of 9,320
Hi,

Go with hd660s. Or any new sennheiser with 's' suffix for that matter.

Both older hd700 /hd800 can be better hps in long run but require considerable investment. New gen senns are lot more 'budding audiophile' friendly.

Nov 12, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #8,685 of 9,320
If you already have the Magni3 then I'd go with the HD660S since the HD700 was not a good pairing with the Magni3 IMO, a bit too bright at times for me. If you don't have the Magni3 then I'd go with the HD700 since to me its a bit more extended in the bass and treble than the HD660S, has a much better sound stage / positional audio and is a bit more comfortable IMO but doesn't go well with some gear (amps) but if you have a decent hybrid or OTL amp the HD700 is quite a bit better on better gear to me where the HD660S doesn't seem to scale as much on better gear from my limited time with them.

If price is an issue then I'd suggest the HD58X, fairly close in sound to the HD660S for about 1/3-1/4 the price and like the HD660S sounds quite good on a wide variety of gear.

I agree with this sentiment. Not a good match with the magni 3. If you want a good cheap amp to upgrade i wholehearted recommend the Cavalli tube hybrid and they are selling for very cheap via this site. Also check eBay for these headphones, they are way cheaper (new) than on Amazon

edit: rip posting via my phone, spellchecked

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back