Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Oct 31, 2018 at 7:35 AM Post #8,641 of 9,298
Hello all,
since I only heard the HD700 once for a short time and saw the price, I haven't thought on an active community on this headphone like this one.

I just ordered a pair of hd700-drivers since I want to "build" my own headphone!

I wanted to do this already some time ago but never knew where to start.
One month ago I read that the new hd660 uses drivers similar to the hd700 ones, probably changed to the needs of a hd6xx.
At that moment I thought that this driver has potential.

Since I am a student (of acoustics), I don't have that much time and it will take some time until I can show the first results.

Although I alread went through this thread a little and already know some cons and pros,
it would be very nice if someone of you can tell me what you like o the hd700 and what you don't :)

Driver will arrive in two weeks and I don't know if I should keep posting in this thread or open a new one.
(probably too early right now)

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2018 at 9:30 AM Post #8,642 of 9,298
That is a cool project and it will be very interesting to read about your results.

Let me also say that this sentence:
Although I alread went through this thread a little and already know some cons and pros,
it would be very nice if someone of you can tell me what you like o the hd700 and what you don't
is a masterpiece.
So, let me see if I understand your request correctly: you went through 577 pages of people telling the world that they like and don't like about HD700, and now you want them to tell you that?
Allow me to start by saying that DavidA's old GF really, really liked to walk the dog in her HD700. She would do that almost every day. It's important that you know that.

Sorry, I don't want to be mean, I juts can't stop laughing :D

Oct 31, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #8,643 of 9,298
That is a cool project and it will be very interesting to read about your results.

is a masterpiece.
So, let me see if I understand your request correctly: you went through 577 pages of people telling the world that they like and don't like about HD700, and now you want them to tell you that?
Allow me to start by saying that DavidA's old GF really, really liked to walk the dog in her HD700. She would do that almost every day. It's important that you know that.

Haha damn! Love it.
We're like a little family here. :')

Oct 31, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #8,644 of 9,298
Any HD 700 owners here also have the Beyerdynamic T90? I'm considering picking up the T90. I have the HD700, but I keep those at my office and I'm thinking I may get the T90 for home and to satisfy my curiosity over what I think is a similar headphone to the HD 700.

Oct 31, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #8,645 of 9,298

is a masterpiece.

Okay. to be honest, I didn't go through he whole thread, to be even more honest, I've only read about 10-15 pages and all I got is that how subjective headphones are.
Maybe someone can relink a bigger review, that would also be nice.

Oct 31, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #8,647 of 9,298
Have you tried "sennheiser hd700 review" in the search box on top of the page? You'll get a few links.
Yeah, that's would would be the best way and also what I just did.
The funny thing is that I am listening to a hd700 right now.
I totally forgot that I know someone who ownes one.

I like the sound, but even more if I push te cups towards to my head.
Boomy bass and treble peak (or overdamped miderange) goes away.
"opening the discussion again, I guess"

But overall I think it's nice

Oct 31, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #8,648 of 9,298
Yeah, that's would would be the best way and also what I just did.
The funny thing is that I am listening to a hd700 right now.
I totally forgot that I know someone who ownes one.

I like the sound, but even more if I push te cups towards to my head.
Boomy bass and treble peak (or overdamped miderange) goes away.
"opening the discussion again, I guess"

But overall I think it's nice

Don't you lose some soundstage that way though? That's the real treat of the hd700 to me, my pads are in the most sorry state, but that's my favorite part about listening to them, that and their amazing portrayal of drums cymbals and electric guitar.

Nov 1, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #8,649 of 9,298
Don't you lose some soundstage that way though? That's the real treat of the hd700 to me, my pads are in the most sorry state, but that's my favorite part about listening to them, that and their amazing portrayal of drums cymbals and electric guitar.
Yes, I think some stage got lost but for me the trade off was worth it.

What do you mean with "in the most sorry state"?
Totally worn?

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2018 at 7:36 PM Post #8,650 of 9,298
1101181702.jpg
Yes, I think some stage got lost but for me the trade off was worth it.

What do you mean with "in the most sorry state"?
Totally worn?

Finally got my replacement pads.. But I gotta be honest, I think once I get my hd600 I'm going to want to sell my 700's. After demoing the 600 I can't help but feel disappointed listening to my 700's despite everything they are doing right. The bass is needlessly boomy so I can't listen to acoustic music without getting annoyed, and the mids sound distant which makes it difficult to enjoy my instrument (violin) and vocals.

It's quite strange actually, they want to be laid back but then the treble is too forward so they demand my attention. The 600's arrive tomorrow so I won't have to wait long.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2018 at 12:43 AM Post #8,651 of 9,298

Finally got my replacement pads.. But I gotta be honest, I think once I get my hd600 I'm going to want to sell my 700's. After demoing the 600 I can't help but feel disappointed listening to my 700's despite everything they are doing right. The bass is needlessly boomy so I can't listen to acoustic music without getting annoyed, and the mids sound distant which makes it difficult to enjoy my instrument (violin) and vocals.

It's quite strange actually, they want to be laid back but then the treble is too forward so they demand my attention. The 600's arrive tomorrow so I won't have to wait long.

Hd700 is a tough nut to crack. Hd600 is much easier to like.

You can make hd700 s bass tight and mids upfront while maintaining airy nature. You will need different electronics/chain. That will require exponentially higher expenses compared to hd600 and what it can do with most electronics.

Nov 2, 2018 at 3:55 AM Post #8,652 of 9,298

If the pads pictured are your replacement ear pads I can see why the HD700 sounds like it does to you. Also, if the bass sounds "needlessly boomy" on the HD700 I'm inclined to think there might be something wrong with them since I've never heard a HD700 with boomy bass, even on a fairly warm tube amp the bass is still quite solid and detailed in comparison to HD650, HD600, and HD58X, only the HD660S has bass that comes close to the HD700 IMO.

Nov 2, 2018 at 5:01 AM Post #8,653 of 9,298
I do own the hd600 and I don't like them too much as well.
Why not try to mod your hd700?
For example, I found someone posting who made his hd700 pads thinner.
Try to push your headphone towards to your ears and see ifyou like the sound more like me.
If so, you can try to go for the mod, your pads are not so nice looking anyway ^^

Nov 2, 2018 at 7:33 AM Post #8,654 of 9,298
If the pads pictured are your replacement ear pads I can see why the HD700 sounds like it does to you. Also, if the bass sounds "needlessly boomy" on the HD700 I'm inclined to think there might be something wrong with them since I've never heard a HD700 with boomy bass, even on a fairly warm tube amp the bass is still quite solid and detailed in comparison to HD650, HD600, and HD58X, only the HD660S has bass that comes close to the HD700 IMO.
Keeping in mind that everything in this hobby is subjective, of course, I'd concur with this. While I have never heard the HD600, I do have the HD6XX (identical to HD650), which is generally considered bassier than the HD600. While I like the HD6XX, the HD700's bass is significantly better in quality and quantity and is quite controlled (never boomy) through a Schiit Modi Multibit and a MCTH.

BTW, I'd add that negative comments on the HD700 (my primary headphone, though I am probably getting an upgrade by the end of the year) should be welcome on this forum. I've always hated the juvenile attitude, which I have encountered in many forums on many different subjects, that negative posters should just stay away. I'll admit that a few recent posts were annoyingly snippy and trollishly dismissive of the HD700, but by internet standards whey were fine.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #8,655 of 9,298

Oh nononon, those are my old pads, I got some cheap chinese pads for replacements on now.

the bass is definitely boomy though I didn't realize it until I started using dekoni pads because the boomy-ness got worse. My GMP 8.35 is better for classical for this reason, whenever a piano starts playing low notes some get very loud though it should have the opposite effect in real life, the lower it is the harder it should be harder to hear. It decays quickly but it's not realistic at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back