Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Jun 3, 2018 at 11:19 PM Post #8,506 of 9,319
So I tried out both the HD800 and HD800S. The HD800S is clearly superior, in my opinion, to the HD800, if you're listening to both right out of the box. But I read that the HD800 can sound exactly like the HD800S if you properly EQ them.

So I got a trial version of Sonarworks True-Fi and tested the theory. Both headphones benefited from this software. In fact, the HD800 became superior to the HD800S (again, in my opinion). The main difference for me was that the HD800S could not reproduce the lowest notes in some of my favorite music, even with the bass cranked.

So then that got me to wondering: what could True-Fi do for the HD700, and their rather wildly erratic frequency response curve? So I bought another pair of HD700 to find out. Let me tell you, the difference was HUGE. You're exactly right: that big dip at certain frequencies is what caused my perceived loss of detail. With True-Fi restoring that detail, and taming the harshness of that bizarre peak around 6 kHz, the HD700 sound amazing! In fact, I like them better than the HD800 and HD800S! Yes, the soundstage is a little less wide, but I've surprised myself by preferring it. The 800 and 800S make everything sound like you're listening in a big echo chamber. I'm sure that's the reverb that was deliberately added in the recording studio. But the 800 and 800S make you SO aware of every detail, it gets to be almost too much. (Again, this is very much just my opinion.)

I'll be honest, I'm surprised that anyone can like the HD700 straight out of the box. It is such a unique frequency response. But, hey, we all have our preferences. I just know that the combination of HD700 and Sonarworks True-Fi provides "reference flat" frequency response in a very comfortable and affordable package. I highly recommend that everyone who likes the Sennheiser open-back sound give it a shot. Especially older guys like myself, because the Sonarworks includes the ability to compensate for age-related hearing loss. Just punch in your age and gender, and it makes the adjustment. You can then use a slider to dial in just how much of that compensation you want. It's beautiful! Music sounds like it did in my younger years again.

Thanks for your help! Your advice got me on the right track.

Interesting you picked up hd700 again. Are you still using it with mojo?

I have never used sonarworks but does it enhance feeling of being there in the audience?

Yes, classical is remarkably improved on the HD700 with Sonarworks. Without the software, some instruments were hard to hear, and others were too prominent. It was horribly unbalanced, leading to my criticism of the HD700 as being not as clear as my much cheaper HD598.

Hd700 is a soundstage depth oriented hp. Once you listen to it carefully you will realize it has more depth than any other hp, including hd800. Thats why, layer that is far away should be harder to hear. It really sounds like its coming from 10m away. I have always felt hd700 is being true to the source.

I can understand treble peak criticism, having experienced myself initially. Or even the v shaped signature, its bass sits ahead of every other instrument, and vocals, making it hard to concentrate on instruments, or giving piano a tinkly sound cause of missing mids.

But honestly, it changes as per electronics its plugged in and out of mojo + amp, all these issues for me have been resolved.

Jun 3, 2018 at 11:29 PM Post #8,507 of 9,319
I am very curious about these now that they’re reasonably priced vs the $1000 price at launch.
If anyone in the US is interested in selling PM me!

Jun 6, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #8,508 of 9,319
I'm thoroughly enjoying listening to my HD700 again. I've had them for years but after getting the Nighthawk and then the Elear they didn't get much playtime after that. Since getting the Magni 3 (paired with a Mimby) I started to use the HD700 every so often but over the past week I've just been using the 700 and they really sound good. They aren't as dynamic as the Elear (not many hp's are) but with a lighter more airy sound they are a great change of pace. I've said before that I don't really hear the sibilance that people always associate with the HD700 and I hate overly bright hp's. Seeing as you can get them for under $500 new now I think that's a really nice price point for these. I can't think of another hp I've heard that has a warm yet crisp detailed sound like the HD700, it really is an underrated hp.

Jun 18, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #8,509 of 9,319
Do any of you use the hd700 as a portable? Does it leak a large amount of sound? I use the Hifiman Edition S in an open configuration as a portable and the sound leakage is actually quite acceptable. I use them as I walk around outside, in Cafe's and on public transport. Would the 700 be acceptable in these situations?

Jun 18, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #8,510 of 9,319
I've been loving my HD700's since I used the @modhouseaudio mod kit. I had found them so fatiguing but now I can listen for hours and they still have basically all the detail and dynamics that they had in stock form. I only paid $200 for mine (used, no box, cheap cable) but I think they would be a good value at twice the price.

Jun 18, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #8,511 of 9,319
Do any of you use the hd700 as a portable? Does it leak a large amount of sound? I use the Hifiman Edition S in an open configuration as a portable and the sound leakage is actually quite acceptable. I use them as I walk around outside, in Cafe's and on public transport. Would the 700 be acceptable in these situations?
I have a number of open headphones and, while all leak to some extent, none of them leak sound the way the HD700 does (only the HiFiman 400i is even close). The HD700 is simply not acceptable on public transport, in the same room as others, or an open office, unless those around you don't object to hearing what you are listening to--and pretty clearly too. While it would probably not be as objectionable to merely pass people on the street while wearing them, since the HD700 lets in outside noise as readily as it leaks sound, I don't understand why anyone would want to wear them outdoors, though some do. I do a lot of walking and use closed IEMs with Comply tips for maximum isolation. (Of course, since I live in the the most densely populated county in the US outside NYC and SF, sixth overall, my environment might be noisier than others.) And while this is personal, while I am retired and at this point in life don't ordinarily care much about how others view me, walking around outside with cans the size of the HD700 would make me feel like quite the idiot.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2018 at 3:17 PM Post #8,512 of 9,319
I have a number of open headphones and, while all leak to some extent, none of them leak sound the way the HD700 does (only the HiFiman 400i is even close). The HD700 is simply not acceptable on public transport, in the same room as others, or an open office, unless those around you don't object to hearing what you are listening to--and pretty clearly too. While it would probably not be as objectionable to merely pass people on the street while wearing them, since the HD700 lets in outside noise as readily as it leaks sound, I don't understand why anyone would want to wear them outdoors, though some do. I do a lot of walking and use closed IEMs with Comply tips for maximum isolation. (Of course, since I live in the the most densely populated county in the US outside NYC and SF, sixth overall, my environment might be noisier than others.) And while this is personal, while I am retired and at this point in life don't ordinarily care much about how others view me, walking around outside with cans the size of the HD700 would make me feel like quite the idiot.
Thanks, very informative. That amount of leakage may be too much, but I walk around in public with Aeon Flows on, and while I don't feel like an idiot (I don't get weird looks from people), I'm pretty sure I look a bit like an imbecile.

Jun 18, 2018 at 3:18 PM Post #8,513 of 9,319
Agree, HD700 is one of the last headphones to use outside, except maybe in nature, provided you don't mind hearing the environment too (birds singing, flies buzzing and all that). I actually prefer open headphones outside, I don't mind some leakage, I want to be aware of my environment. But I do want headphones to block some outside noise, and HD700 blocks none. Leakage out is another issue, less important in my case as I don't normally use public transport and I'm almost never in a crowd - but yes, calling it leaking is a huge understatement.
I don't care about the looks though, I use big headphones outside all the time (except when it's too warm).

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #8,514 of 9,319
Fwiw it's worth I use the HD700 on my walks quite often. In the Norwegian countryside there's not much need for isolation though :wink:

Jun 18, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #8,515 of 9,319

The HD 700 leak so much that I didn't use them in my shared office even though I do use other open and semi-open headphones occasionally, at lower volumes (HD 650, Fostex T20RP MK3). They are one of the loudest leakers for open headphones, and I can't imagine using them portably in close proximity to other people.

Jun 18, 2018 at 9:03 PM Post #8,516 of 9,319
@dcfac73, my old GF used to use her Hzd700 almost every day when walking to dog, main reason was it let's in outside sounds so she was still aware of the environment. She did get asked a few times about them and she got another girl that walks her dog to also get a HD700 so the very open nature can be looked as good or bad depending on the situation ,

Jun 19, 2018 at 1:21 AM Post #8,517 of 9,319
@dcfac73, my old GF used to use her Hzd700 almost every day when walking to dog, main reason was it let's in outside sounds so she was still aware of the environment. She did get asked a few times about them and she got another girl that walks her dog to also get a HD700 so the very open nature can be looked as good or bad depending on the situation ,

The other girl mightve got them for the looks. They do look very cool. Much more so than any fashion hps.

Jun 19, 2018 at 1:45 AM Post #8,518 of 9,319

The other girl mightve got them for the looks. They do look very cool. Much more so than any fashion hps.
They do look awesome, like some Star Trek type crap. On a side note, it's sad in this world that women still need to take these precautions (assuming they need to hear their surroundings for fear of violence). As a man, I've never felt the need for this type of precaution.

Jun 19, 2018 at 2:59 AM Post #8,519 of 9,319
Best fashion headphone that I've found many females liked is the old Momentum on-ear since it came in so many colors and it was one that I gave as gifts a few years back since they were so cheap on Amazon ($42-56, depending on color) and even if most here on Head-Fi don't consider them they are a setup from the ear-buds that come with most phones and my old GF considered them a good alternative to her HD700, HD650, Ether Flow, HE400i and PS500e.

They do look awesome, like some Star Trek type ****. On a side note, it's sad in this world that women still need to take these precautions (assuming they need to hear their surroundings for fear of violence). As a man, I've never felt the need for this type of precaution.
Agree that its sad that women need to take precautions in this day and age, even in Hawaii but since we do live close to Waikiki there are quite a few tourist, homeless and others in the area and the boardwalk right in front of our condo is usually patrolled by police quite often so its fairly safe, here's a picture:
20180618_205603.jpg
The walk is right next to the Ala Wai canal and has decent lighting but better to be safe

Jun 20, 2018 at 9:20 AM Post #8,520 of 9,319
So just took the plunge and got these at $445 usd. Seems like a good buy considering it's less than half the original release price. I'll be sure to turn the volume down on public transport.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back