Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Jun 20, 2018 at 5:21 PM Post #8,521 of 9,326
So just took the plunge and got these at $445 usd. Seems like a good buy considering it's less than half the original release price. I'll be sure to turn the volume down on public transport.
Are you located out of the US since $445 is quite high for a used pair of HD700 these days but I think in some countries its a pretty good deal I've been told. I noticed that you have quite a collection of headphones and would be interested in how the HD700 compares to those that you currently have since there are quite a few headphones that you have that I haven't heard yet.

Jun 20, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #8,522 of 9,326
Are you located out of the US since $445 is quite high for a used pair of HD700 these days but I think in some countries its a pretty good deal I've been told. I noticed that you have quite a collection of headphones and would be interested in how the HD700 compares to those that you currently have since there are quite a few headphones that you have that I haven't heard yet.
I read that as (impliedly) buying a new pair for $445 usd or US dollars, not used. Let's see which of us was right. You're certainly correct that in the US $445 is a decent price new set (but prices can go lower; I got mine last year new for $420) but obviously a horrible price for a used pair.

Jun 20, 2018 at 8:38 PM Post #8,524 of 9,326
And... I am no longer an owner. Bye all!

Jun 21, 2018 at 12:23 AM Post #8,525 of 9,326
I haven't updated the list in a long time and I would've sold off many of the headphones, but sure I will give some impressions vs some of the cans I've owned.

I read that as (impliedly) buying a new pair for $445 usd or US dollars, not used. Let's see which of us was right. You're certainly correct that in the US $445 is a decent price new set (but prices can go lower; I got mine last year new for $420) but obviously a horrible price for a used pair.
Yes I live in Australia, and that is the lowest price I've seen them here. We get charged extortionate amounts for everything. The price you pay for getting things like universal healthcare. I quoted USD to make it relatable for most on here.
I guess they were getting favourable reviews at their original price, so what I'm paying is a relative bargain.
I've auditioned them quite a bit and I really like them. I view what others hear as a weird treble peak as one being revealing and analytical.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #8,527 of 9,326
curious to know what replaced the HD700? Or are you just downsizing?

I am replacing them with the HD-800. I was listening to the HD-700s pretty much only with classical music and instrumental jazz (bebop, hard bop).

I was struggling to decide on the original HD-800 vs the newer HD-800S, but I think the original recipe will fit my tastes. And, the clearance pricing is hard to ignore.

Jun 22, 2018 at 2:35 AM Post #8,528 of 9,326
I am replacing them with the HD-800. I was listening to the HD-700s pretty much only with classical music and instrumental jazz (bebop, hard bop).

I was struggling to decide on the original HD-800 vs the newer HD-800S, but I think the original recipe will fit my tastes. And, the clearance pricing is hard to ignore.
I sold my spare HD800 a few months ago but I think somewhere down the road I will get a HD800S since its quite a bit different to me from the HD800 and HD700.

I agree that for classical the HD800 is my preferred headphone over the HD700 but I've been using my HE560 most for classical these days since it just has a slightly fuller all around sound to me.

Jun 22, 2018 at 5:08 AM Post #8,529 of 9,326
Just received delivery. Very early and first impressions.....this is my first real high-ish end open headphone. I'd always avoided open cans because I only listen to headphones in a portable setting. So having said that- sound leakage at good volume in a noisy cafe is very acceptable. Isolation isn't good, obviously, but is acceptable when music is playing. Soundstage is more open (obviously), but imaging is more 3D like, even compared to my high end closed like Aeon Flow, Cascade, and TH900. A good analogy would be the difference between watching a tv and experiencing a vr headset. In the past I would predominantly listen to electronic music as the 2d closed can imaging wouldn't be a liability, although I've always loved all genres of music. The HD700 certainly makes music recorded in real spaces more immersive and enjoyable. Electronic music still sounds about the same imaging-wise, but the visceral thump of kicks and the solid feeling of drum machine/drum samples is lessened to a degree. I'm very happy so far as it will complement my collection nicely.
This new open can has also opened my eyes (ears) to the importance of good sound placement in my own electronic music production. I might even try mixing with it.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #8,530 of 9,326
I sold my spare HD800 a few months ago but I think somewhere down the road I will get a HD800S since its quite a bit different to me from the HD800 and HD700.

I agree that for classical the HD800 is my preferred headphone over the HD700 but I've been using my HE560 most for classical these days since it just has a slightly fuller all around sound to me.

Interesting... I canceled my HD-800 order at the last minute. I've been reading similar commentary and I think I want to wait until I can splurge for the HD-800S (or the Focal Clear - I love what I am reading about those 'phones). Decisions, decisions... but I've already given away my 700s.

Jun 24, 2018 at 6:54 AM Post #8,531 of 9,326
The pairing with the ifi Micro bl is fabulous. Treble peak seems to not be an issue in this pairing. Normally the treble, for me, calls attention to itself, but isn't objectionable.

Jul 5, 2018 at 2:27 AM Post #8,534 of 9,326
Hey guys.
New to this forum and new to the world of audiophile headphones.

I picked up a pair of these used, but in mint condition for £230, comparing to ebay, I feel I've got a good deal.

I want to ask the people on here who are clearly more clued up that I am a few questions.
I hear a very love/hate opinion on these headphones. There is a common complaint about a frequency spike in the treble.
What does this mean and what am I expected to come across?

Also, I was recommended to get an amp/dac for these to really bring out the potential, so I've bought an Oppo HA2-SE, so hopefully this bit of kit should run the headphones fine?
I'm neither impressed or dissapointed with the headphones right now because in all honesty, I don't know what to expect from them.

I've tried my best to compare them to my iPhone earphones, but really can't tell a difference, but I am assuming / hoping this is where the Amp takes over.

These headphones weren't my first choice, but I felt the price was good and as I've never owened a high end pair of headphones, I've got nothing to compare them to anyway, so I doubt I'd pick up on flaws that others would while comparing to other headphones.

Also, this may sound like a really stupid question, but is there anyway to tell if you're listening to music to loud, as in ear damaging loud.
I don't know if this is to do with the headphones, but sometimes, while using these, I've felt a slight tickle/itch within my ear, just wandering if this is to do with the loudness.

Thanks

Jul 5, 2018 at 5:04 AM Post #8,535 of 9,326
SMPhoo: I would recommend trying out the free trial version of True-Fi from the Sonarworks website. They do a good job explaining how their software takes down peaks (whether in the treble, mid or bass region), and then also brings up those parts of the frequency response spectrum that a headphone doesn't play loudly enough. With their software, you can click a button to hear your headphones with and without their intervention. That might help you understand what is meant by the treble spike, once you hear the sound with it removed. There's also a big dip around 2 kHz in the HD700 that it corrects for, and the very low end is also understated. Correcting for all of these makes the HD700 sound a ton better, in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back