Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Mar 2, 2018 at 11:21 PM Post #8,326 of 9,320
DavidA is correct. You have to find your Dac and then your Headphone Amp. (Try to go to a Can Jam or local Audio Shop so you can sample different combos together) Once you find your combo (and you will know it when you do) stick with it and enjoy.

I have Sonarworks and I use the Average for the HD700's and (for me) the Sonarworks takes that edge off and gives an even better soundstage.

Also as DavidA stated those HD 700's love to be driven by a Tube Headphone Amp (or hybrid) I agree as many others who post here. I also have the Asgard 2 and it just doesn't get those HD700's where they need to be.

I changed my cable to a Moon Audio Black dragon v2 and for me that worked wonders (I know many out there don't hear a difference with an upgraded cable or believe in upgraded cables and that's fine)

See below for my best combo for my HD700's (I do have upgraded Tubes as well)

Behold! The bottom D-getter equipped WE421a. Nice glass, guy!

Mar 5, 2018 at 5:58 PM Post #8,327 of 9,320
Thanks!!

Mar 8, 2018 at 12:33 AM Post #8,328 of 9,320
I've had my HD700 for a few years but since getting my Nighthawk and Elear I haven't used them much at all. About 2 weeks ago I got the Schiit Magni 3 as an upgrade over my Magni 2, and having it paired with the Modi Multibit it's really a nice little setup.

The HD700 now sounds better then it has ever imo. The bass has a good strong presence with more detail and a cleaner sound, the mids come through and just shine with vocals and mid-range melodies sounding so good now, and the highs are crisp with little to no sibilance but I've never found them to be as sibilant as most which is strange because I hate sibilant headphones like the DT990.

I feel like I have too many headphones now which is something I never thought would come out of my mouth. One day I'll listen to my Elear and the next the Nighthawk, now I'm adding the HD700 back in the rotation which is nice because I've always thought it was a good headphone but not enough so to listen to them over the other 2, but now it is when paired with the Magni 3.

Mar 8, 2018 at 12:51 AM Post #8,329 of 9,320
I've had my HD700 for a few years but since getting my Nighthawk and Elear I haven't used them much at all. About 2 weeks ago I got the Schiit Magni 3 as an upgrade over my Magni 2, and having it paired with the Modi Multibit it's really a nice little setup.

The HD700 now sounds better then it has ever imo. The bass has a good strong presence with more detail and a cleaner sound, the mids come through and just shine with vocals and mid-range melodies sounding so good now, and the highs are crisp with little to no sibilance but I've never found them to be as sibilant as most which is strange because I hate sibilant headphones like the DT990.

I feel like I have too many headphones now which is something I never thought would come out of my mouth. One day I'll listen to my Elear and the next the Nighthawk, now I'm adding the HD700 back in the rotation which is nice because I've always thought it was a good headphone but not enough so to listen to them over the other 2, but now it is when paired with the Magni 3.

You seem immune to treble peaks on 700. I have seen quite a few people move on after trying hd700 on magni.

Good for you.

Mar 8, 2018 at 6:43 AM Post #8,330 of 9,320
You seem immune to treble peaks on 700. I have seen quite a few people move on after trying hd700 on magni.

Good for you.

Move on after trying HD 700 on a Magni 3, though? Or were those poor pairings with older Magni models perhaps?

Mar 8, 2018 at 7:11 AM Post #8,332 of 9,320

Could just be because the peak for the HD700 is at 6500 and the DT990 is at 8500 and you're more sensitive to that part of the spectrum...

In addition, although they're both V-ish shaped signatures, the DT990's peak might be a tad higher/more intense (relatively speaking).

graphCompare.php

Mar 8, 2018 at 7:56 AM Post #8,333 of 9,320
The HD700 has found it's way to being my 'gaming' headphone. It's wonderful for that aspect. Personally the peak is just too much for me in the end. This is even with a warm tube like Mullard in my LD MKIII (I know; not the best amp in the world). However that peak happens to be a great one for sound cues in games in regards to actions like opening/closing doors, footsteps on certain materials/surfaces, etc. My HEXv2 can't rival them in this aspect, so for that I'm happy to keep something as beautiful and well-put-together as the HD700.

Mar 8, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #8,335 of 9,320
The HD700 is my primary headphone, though I also the HD6XX quite a bit for music (and, much more rarely, the HifiMan 400i). However, I watch a lot of movies/TV and for that I almost invariably use the HD700 since the significantly wider soundstage is much more engaging and immersive (at least for relatively recent stuff; I also watch a lot of older mono material where the difference is less important).

Mar 8, 2018 at 8:26 PM Post #8,336 of 9,320
Yep, between the soundstage, imaging, frequency response, and comfort... the HD700 makes an OUTSTANDING gaming/movie headphone. Eclipsed by STAX SR-L300 though ( except for comfort)...
While I've never heard the SR-L300 I've never considered using my SR009 or SRD-34 for gaming or movie watching since they are both too clear and usually make poor or sub-par recordings/tracks sound bad.

The HD700 is my primary headphone, though I also the HD6XX quite a bit for music (and, much more rarely, the HifiMan 400i). However, I watch a lot of movies/TV and for that I almost invariably use the HD700 since the significantly wider soundstage is much more engaging and immersive (at least for relatively recent stuff; I also watch a lot of older mono material where the difference is less important).
I started out with the HD700 for gaming and then started to use them for movies but lately I've been using the HD6XX more since it seems to pair better with my old Sony HT receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back