Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Feb 5, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #5,761 of 9,326
  Barra.... Just downloaded and tried the Sonarworks software.  Installed the vst into JRiver and set it up with the ssbb tweak.  Selected the hd800 setting and it does make a big difference.  Have to figure out how to make the ssbb tweak a little more blended.  Have to try it with the 650's next, thanks for the heads up.

The HD650 is a no brainer as it is already dialed in for you with its own SonarWorks plug in. There are also unlimited curve versions of the plugins that add more frequency response to both ends adding more to the equation. @johnjen is the the expert and is responsive on his cookbook thread that I linked earlier if you have any questions.

One more thing. The phase reversal technique is a big deal and the hardest part as it requires a special phase reversed cable. But it is a huge upgrade even without the other two tweaks that is obvious in an A/B situation that we had tested in mini-meet conditions many times. This was the first tweak that the Seattle group adopted, again thanks to @johnjen and @atomicbob and it was eye opening to say the least. Not an expert here and it is better explained by @johnjen , but in a nutshell - an amp has a + and a - voltage swing that both channels use together in the same phase. The reverse phase allows each channel to use the opposite voltage rather than the same so that their is more headroom during dynamic or big bass moments providing huge dynamic improvements. The result is an Abyss like bass and faster transitions for more clarity.The difference is easy to hear.

If you have any soldering skills and time, @johnjen can instruct the assembly of the cable or you can have one made through your favorite cable maker. The requirements is a balanced four wire cable to your HP and possibly a balanced to SE adapter if your amp only accepts SE.

If you find any tweaks that help the HD700 sound better with SonarWorks, please share them here or in the cookbook thread so I can try them too. The nice thing about the Jrivers/SonarWorks combination is that it becomes a laboratory that you can make changes and instantly A/B the differences to check their value. If only I had more time in my schedule to play with it. 
rolleyes.gif

Feb 5, 2016 at 3:35 PM Post #5,762 of 9,326

You just made me want the HD700 right there.  You made it sound amazing, to me at least.

I would really love to hear what happens when you combine the E10K and HD700.  I know it's probably a very questionable combo, and I'd probably upgrade in the near future, but it'd be great to hear your thoughts on the pairing.  Hopefully plugging them into the E10K doesn't open a miniature black hole in spacetime.

I have also read that the cup depth is 4cm.  Could you possibly confirm that for me?  My HD598 pads compressed over time and left my ear touching the driver cover.

Ok, I just measured the depth of the cup. From where the driver sticks out in the center of the cup to the outer edge of the earpad, it's about 3.25 cm (or a little over 3 cm).

As for the E10K and the HD700 pairing, it sounds surprisingly good. I will say that bass is a bit lacking and the sound is a bit grainy, though that is only obvious when compared to hooking the HD700 up to much more expensive equipment. Soundstage is a bit closed in, though the HD700 still manages to project a very large and accurate (great imaging) soundstage. Depth is lacking though, so you won't get the full experience of that here. Also, the tonality of the E10K/HD700 combo sounds pretty good - surprisingly, I never heard it to get really fatiguing, though some songs with a treble emphasis did get a bit annoying (keep in mind I'm rather tolerant of treble).

One final note about my thoughts on the HD700 - overall, I think it's an amazing headphone, but truly the biggest problem with it is the treble. It really is a bit too hot for the HD700 to sound totally natural, so things like violins don't sound realistic compared to on other headphones. I think this is why most people have passed over the HD700. Otherwise, in terms of detail retrieval, soundstage, bass quality, etc. the HD700 is excellent.

Feb 5, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #5,763 of 9,326
..remember, some folks may need the extra hi's, based on hearing differences.
Also, just a bump on the EQ will probably fix that. - I know how to analyze the frequency range
for a regular speaker system, but what is the best way to analyze the freq response
with a headphones - I mean how to you position the mics.  and do you use a 90db
reference level, or what - any takers?

Thanks

Feb 5, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #5,764 of 9,326
Ok, I just measured the depth of the cup. From where the driver sticks out in the center of the cup to the outer edge of the earpad, it's about 3.25 cm (or a little over 3 cm).

As for the E10K and the HD700 pairing, it sounds surprisingly good. I will say that bass is a bit lacking and the sound is a bit grainy, though that is only obvious when compared to hooking the HD700 up to much more expensive equipment. Soundstage is a bit closed in, though the HD700 still manages to project a very large and accurate (great imaging) soundstage. Depth is lacking though, so you won't get the full experience of that here. Also, the tonality of the E10K/HD700 combo sounds pretty good - surprisingly, I never heard it to get really fatiguing, though some songs with a treble emphasis did get a bit annoying (keep in mind I'm rather tolerant of treble).

One final note about my thoughts on the HD700 - overall, I think it's an amazing headphone, but truly the biggest problem with it is the treble. It really is a bit too hot for the HD700 to sound totally natural, so things like violins don't sound realistic compared to on other headphones. I think this is why most people have passed over the HD700. Otherwise, in terms of detail retrieval, soundstage, bass quality, etc. the HD700 is excellent.

So much useful information for me! May I ask how many hours you have on your pair? It's possible the pads have compressed over time. IIRC the E10K is considered on the warm side of neutral, perhaps making it a better pairing than one would have thought. It's good to know it'll work as a temporary solution, allowing me to experience most of what the headphone has to offer.

I am not a hardcore audiophile at heart. I don't mind certain instruments sounding slightly off or the like. I am also not against EQing any annoying treble spikes. I would just like extreme comfort and excellent sound quality for movies/gaming. I think the HD700 fits the bill.

I showed my partner a picture of them tonight and she said "it looks like something out of Fallout! Is something going to hatch out of it?". Eargasms, hopefully.

Feb 5, 2016 at 7:36 PM Post #5,766 of 9,326
Yep. I was looking at the HD650s, but when I saw that price on Amazon I figured I'd give them a shot.

I'll be pairing these with my Lyr 2 for use in my office. Isolation isn't an issue, comfort is.

Tubes will be 74 Voskhod Rockets SWGPs, a pretty good one. But I'm open to rolling something else in there if there's a clear favorite. 

Feb 5, 2016 at 9:25 PM Post #5,767 of 9,326
  Wow.  $425 new on Amazon.com at the moment.  I haven't followed these for long but that seems like a tasty price!  Wish I was American. 
tongue_smile.gif

I do have some concerns about resale value for these headphones, prices seem in freefall. 

:) you can always look into someone adding shipping and relaying one to you.

Feb 5, 2016 at 9:26 PM Post #5,768 of 9,326
Hi All  -  I bought my HD700s 2 months ago (at a great special price of AUD$600 [US$425]) -- best audio purchase to date! I'd re-buy them for AUD$750 any time (probably not more though).

This was an upgrade to the HD598 (gone) and addition to Grado 125e (since gone), Tiesto ak167 (gone too) -- still have Shure 840 (great budget HP!) to use when closed HP is required to block all external sound.

I use with laptop (Foobar/flac) and external FubarIV Plus dac/amp or Fiio X5/E12a (yes, the IEM 12a version on high gain with volume up to below 12 o'clock max!) .... the sound is just amazing! I don't know what people worry about regarding the treble - I don't hear any uncomfortable spikes or un-natural sounding instruments, sibilance or piercing (in general I seem to prefer my music a bit brighter though) ... well, most 50y old ears don't hear past 14000hz so maybe that's where people detect spikes?

Anyway - to me these are fabulous all-round headphones (I listen to classic, Jazz, R&B, female voice, but very little rock and no metal or other heavy electronic music or the like). Comfort is next to none, I wear them for 5 hours straight ... at times almost forget I have HPs on  :wink: .... The only gripe I have is the unruly cable -- but that's hardly a deal breaker and there're always replacement options if needed.

I use the HD700 about 90% of the time when at home - love them!

Feb 5, 2016 at 10:32 PM Post #5,769 of 9,326
  Comfort is next to none, I wear them for 5 hours straight ... at times almost forget I have HPs on  :wink: 

I could not agree more.  I just got mine tonight and they are like clouds on my ears.  I have been using HD600's before this and thought they were ok in the comfort department but the 700's are at another level completely!

the sound is just amazing! I don't know what people worry about regarding the treble - I don't hear any uncomfortable spikes or un-natural sounding instruments, sibilance or piercing 

again I could not agree more.  I found the HD600's to feel "brighter" than these, to my crazy ears anyway.  

Feb 5, 2016 at 11:01 PM Post #5,770 of 9,326
Just want to say that the measurements for Tak's mods are out and they really do get rid of the treble peaks. Earpad mod is what reduces the peaks and the other mods such as the filter paper and damping may not be necessary. I can vouch for the earpad mod though.

Feb 5, 2016 at 11:36 PM Post #5,771 of 9,326
Stock Senn 700

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD700.pdf

Tak's Modded Senn 700

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD700DIYModifiedTakato14.pdf

As FatTeemo notes, the pad mod completely eliminates the midrange treble peak. However, on close examination of the FR graph, some might feel that the filter-paper mod may overly attenuate the highs above about 5K. But as my old ears are not in the best shape, I am quite sensitive to treble and I quite like the sound I am getting with the filter paper mod. And as the filter paper he used actually consists of three very thin layers, it is easy to finely tweak the highs to your taste.

Cheers

Feb 6, 2016 at 12:14 AM Post #5,772 of 9,326
Can anyone give me a good tube amp recommendation.  I am really leaning towards the Woo Audio WA3 or WA6 but have looked at the Schiit Valhalla.  What about a Darkvoice?  Or maybe a little dot?  anyone out there with some advice would be great.  My budget is around $800 for just the amp, I don't need a dac.

Feb 6, 2016 at 12:48 AM Post #5,773 of 9,326
IMO , it combines both, leaning more towards the 800. It's definitely warmer than the 800, but more detailed and open than the 650. Soundstage is in the middle. Out of all 3, I preferred the 700. To be fair though, I don't think my rig was up to par for the 800.
Maybe, the HD-700 is closer in sound signature to HD-800 than HD-650

Feb 6, 2016 at 12:51 AM Post #5,774 of 9,326
The tubes alone , are worth $150. Hard to beat in your budget.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/796847/schiit-mjolnir-2-headphone-amp-w-74-reflektors
Can anyone give me a good tube amp recommendation.  I am really leaning towards the Woo Audio WA3 or WA6 but have looked at the Schiit Valhalla.  What about a Darkvoice?  Or maybe a little dot?  anyone out there with some advice would be great.  My budget is around $800 for just the amp, I don't need a dac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back