Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Feb 7, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #5,791 of 9,326
  This is what l paid for mine back on 12th November 2014. l paid 396,75€ (taxes to Switzerland and shipping included). Weeks later, l got around 22€ back from taxes. So in total l paid around 375€ (remember, November 2014!). lf l were you l'd open a tab on amazon.de with the 700s and l'd keep on tracking daily until the offers shows up. You save money while you develop patience
bigsmile_face.gif

That's a great price, I'm ready to pay anything that begins with €3XX.  Was that a flash deal or such?  It doesn't show up on those price tracking sites.

Feb 7, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #5,792 of 9,326
@Peterek
My 700 is still not with me yet but I have faith it will have the sound that I'm looking for,between 650 and LCD X. I agree with your assessment about these phone I also need portability and comfort as well as high fidelity sound. My X gave me eargasm but the comfort is pretty limited.

From a less accurate Z reviews sound test on YT, it appears to me that HD 700 is tuned slightly at higher pitch thus it makes it sound tighter and punchier compare to younger siblings 600/650.

Feb 7, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #5,794 of 9,326
im currently looking for new headphones for when im watching movies i have agk k612 pro (to dull and level for what im looking for) and sennheiser HD598 SE (i got these after the akg and like the sound alot more especially the mids so tactile to me but not enough or low enough bass)  i want something with better bass but still good mids similar to my HD598s if possible and prefer not super sharp highs.  would the Sennheiser HD 700 be a good choice for me ? also considering the Fostex Massdrop TH-X00 right now as well. if anyone here has experience with both i would love to hear what you think here or http://www.head-fi.org/t/797451/hifiman-sennheiser-beyerdynamic-oppo-or-fostex-new-higher-end-headphones-for-movies-need-help-choosing   trying to decide before the current massdrop ends for the fostex :/

Feb 7, 2016 at 8:10 PM Post #5,795 of 9,326
  im currently looking for new headphones for when im watching movies i have agk k612 pro (to dull and level for what im looking for) and sennheiser HD598 SE (i got these after the akg and like the sound alot more especially the mids so tactile to me but not enough or low enough bass)  i want something with better bass but still good mids similar to my HD598s if possible and prefer not super sharp highs.  would the Sennheiser HD 700 be a good choice for me ? also considering the Fostex Massdrop TH-X00 right now as well. if anyone here has experience with both i would love to hear what you think here or http://www.head-fi.org/t/797451/hifiman-sennheiser-beyerdynamic-oppo-or-fostex-new-higher-end-headphones-for-movies-need-help-choosing   trying to decide before the current massdrop ends for the fostex :/

Love my HD-700 for watching movies, had a HD-598 a few years ago, gave it an ex-GF who loves it.  The HD-700 has more than enough bass for movies and also music videos.  I don't have the TH-X00 but the TH-600, way too much bass for watching movies for me, also mids to recessed for vocals with movies.  One of the reason I use the HD-700 is its easier to drive and sounds good from my Sony ES receiver, the HD-800, T-1, LCD-2 all sound lifeless thru the receiver.

Feb 7, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #5,796 of 9,326
  Love my HD-700 for watching movies, had a HD-598 a few years ago, gave it an ex-GF who loves it.  The HD-700 has more than enough bass for movies and also music videos.  I don't have the TH-X00 but the TH-600, way too much bass for watching movies for me, also mids to recessed for vocals with movies.  One of the reason I use the HD-700 is its easier to drive and sounds good from my Sony ES receiver, the HD-800, T-1, LCD-2 all sound lifeless thru the receiver.

sweet thanks for the input.  so the HD700 has the bass authroity for stuff like tron legacy and jurassic park/world? also do you think my Asus Xonar Essence Stx sound card will work well for the HD700?

Feb 8, 2016 at 12:43 PM Post #5,797 of 9,326
TL;DR: Heard HD700, want it right now.

So I went to the Verkkokauppa shop in Pirkkala today and found they had what seemed like a hundred headphones to audition.  I was like a kiddy in a candy store.

HD800, HD700, HD650, HD598 and continuing downwards.  The 700 and 800 were being powered by something called a "HDVD 800".  I've seen pictures of it but know nothing except it costs several months rent.  Unfortunately, I went underprepared and only had some random compressed music from my phone, but I listened to the 700 and 800 for about 30 minutes each and was extremely impressed, to say the least.

Most comfortable headphones I have ever put on my head.  I like the form factor of the 700 more, they seem to have enough room in the cups for me and don't take up half your face.  I couldn't feel any clamp with the 700, and a minimal one with the 800. I have quite small hands and almost put my finger through the silver mesh thing on the 800.  Must grip from outer-edge. 
tongue_smile.gif

Soundwise, you guys know already.  No point preaching to the quoir.  Best two sounding headphones I've ever heard.

I had the 700 box in my hands at one point.  €498 (556USD) is somewhat more than I'd like to pay, though.  If money were no object and music was my main concern, the HD800 would win my heart because even someone with untrained ears like me can hear they are somewhat technically superior.  It's almost like you're not even listening to music with the HD800, with the HD700 being more engaging.  If I had to guess, I'd say Sennheiser made the HD700 to have most of the sound signature of the HD800 while adding a little warmth and extra thump in the lower end to be more broadly appealing.  FWIW I did not hear any unpleasant treble spikes (I listened to the DT990 Pro and found those to have a much less tolerable high-end).

Feb 8, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #5,798 of 9,326
  TL;DR: Heard HD700, want it right now....

HD800, HD700, HD650, HD598 and continuing downwards. ...  Unfortunately, I went underprepared and only had some random compressed music from my phone, but I listened to the 700 and 800 for about 30 minutes each and was extremely impressed, to say the least.

Most comfortable headphones I have ever put on my head.   If I had to guess, I'd say Sennheiser made the HD700 to have most of the sound signature of the HD800 while adding a little warmth and extra thump in the lower end to be more broadly appealing.  FWIW I did not hear any unpleasant treble spikes (I listened to the DT990 Pro and found those to have a much less tolerable high-end).

thanks for the impressions! My HD700s arrived yesterday during the Super Bowl, so I haven't had a chance to spend a lot of time with them yet.

But, initial impressions are excellent, even just out of my Dragonfly. Beautiful textures and unbelievably comfortable. So far, so good. 

Feb 8, 2016 at 4:08 PM Post #5,799 of 9,326
  TL;DR: Heard HD700, want it right now.

So I went to the Verkkokauppa shop in Pirkkala today and found they had what seemed like a hundred headphones to audition.  I was like a kiddy in a candy store.

HD800, HD700, HD650, HD598 and continuing downwards.  The 700 and 800 were being powered by something called a "HDVD 800".  I've seen pictures of it but know nothing except it costs several months rent.  Unfortunately, I went underprepared and only had some random compressed music from my phone, but I listened to the 700 and 800 for about 30 minutes each and was extremely impressed, to say the least.

Most comfortable headphones I have ever put on my head.  I like the form factor of the 700 more, they seem to have enough room in the cups for me and don't take up half your face.  I couldn't feel any clamp with the 700, and a minimal one with the 800. I have quite small hands and almost put my finger through the silver mesh thing on the 800.  Must grip from outer-edge. 
tongue_smile.gif

Soundwise, you guys know already.  No point preaching to the quoir.  Best two sounding headphones I've ever heard.

I had the 700 box in my hands at one point.  €498 (556USD) is somewhat more than I'd like to pay, though.  If money were no object and music was my main concern, the HD800 would win my heart because even someone with untrained ears like me can hear they are somewhat technically superior.  It's almost like you're not even listening to music with the HD800, with the HD700 being more engaging.  If I had to guess, I'd say Sennheiser made the HD700 to have most of the sound signature of the HD800 while adding a little warmth and extra thump in the lower end to be more broadly appealing.  FWIW I did not hear any unpleasant treble spikes (I listened to the DT990 Pro and found those to have a much less tolerable high-end).

..once you move up to your best you will never go back - you're stuck now... :)

Feb 8, 2016 at 4:27 PM Post #5,800 of 9,326
  ..once you move up to your best you will never go back - you're stuck now... :)

If you ever catch me paying €2000 for an amp/dac you have my permission to punch me square in the face.

I'll be picking up the HD700 soon, just need to listen with my little E10K to decide if I want something more powerful or whether that's me retired from this hobby for 10 years.  Wishful thinking..

Feb 8, 2016 at 7:27 PM Post #5,801 of 9,326
Glad to hear the love for the HD700, I've sold mine already because I find it a tad too dark for my liking.....bass is good, so is mids, but I find the highs to lack extension. I've recently realized that I'm something of a treblehead, and I enjoy sparkly highs. I did sell it to a guy who told me it was the perfect can for him, and that it's a keeper for him. I'm still a Sennheiser fanboy though, ain't gonna let go of my HD800 and IE800.

Feb 8, 2016 at 10:58 PM Post #5,802 of 9,326
  sweet thanks for the input.  so the HD700 has the bass authroity for stuff like tron legacy and jurassic park/world? also do you think my Asus Xonar Essence Stx sound card will work well for the HD700?

sorry for late reply, the HD-700 has enough bass for any movie that I have watched.  The STX sound card is not bad and has enough to drive the HD-700 until you decide to upgrade.  The HD-700 is much easier to drive than the HD-6XX/800/T1/HE-560 from my experience, reason I use it straight from my receiver.

Feb 8, 2016 at 11:10 PM Post #5,803 of 9,326
The Stx card is fine until you can afford or want to go with a separate amp.  I used it with my first hd650 at 300 ohms so should have no problem with 700's at 150 ohms.  I better amp will give you much more though.

Feb 9, 2016 at 1:51 AM Post #5,805 of 9,326
finally...listening to my 700..
gs1000.gif

yadda yadda yadda......bla bla bla bla....yadda..yadda...yadda....bla bla bla....yadda.....bla bla bla..

Bottom line I'm impressed ! Really nice upgrade from 650 but not quite to the level of my LCD X, Perfect !
Pair nicely with My AK120ii on single ended, and I expect much better on balance when my DIY cable is ready.
One thing I have to get used to tho, having listen to LCD X for a while now the 700's mids and bass seems a little veiled and a bit distance to me, hmm I'm thinking different cables ,any thoughts ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back