Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Dec 6, 2015 at 8:44 AM Post #5,491 of 9,320
HD700 vs HD650? Which one has better bass impact and quality? trying to decide between the two.

The answer would be very amp dependent. A couple weeks ago I would have said the 700 bass was better but since getting the Oppo HA-2, the bass of the HD650 is really amazing.

Dec 6, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #5,492 of 9,320
  @aami2techie, at those prices I would not even consider these headphones as they are both in diminishing returns at those prices.  I have both and a few other headphones and I consider them pretty good for the prices that I paid, HD-700 - $529, HE-400i - $439 IIRC.

Comfort: HE-400i is okay, HD-700 much better, one of the more comfortable ones around

Sound: HE-400i better balanced for most genres of music, HD-700 has treble peak that some don't like, it doesn't both me, better sound stage and clarity.  Which one you prefer depends on sound signature that you like and also the type of music that you listen to.  I keep both since they both have their own unique sound, my GF likes the HD-700 better, mostly for the comfort/weight since she uses it when she walks the dog.

Both can be played with a DAP but sound better amped, for me I use a Project Ember or BH Crack for the HD-700, Project Ember or Lyr2 for HE-400i

thanks for answer.
let me first clear my position to you, again, i have to import (anyone of these 2 cans which i finally decide to get) and have to pay cost, import and other fees myself. i would not be able to return these, nor exchange no nothing, other than dead on arrival situation.

i listen to every type of music. i have no liking for one specific kind. i like a little bit of bass though, and i highly highly appreciate deep, and wide sound stage. but not DT 990 wide though!

i have to look for every aspect, build quality (because which ever i get will stay with me for many years), comfort (cause i put headphones on for over 5 hours a day), sound (should be well balanced, not so bass heavy, not so high treble something in between) 

i have faith in sennheiser quality, cause my 4 years old, which i put away when last year i got DT 990, i though of selling that away, but last  week my DT 990 right side driver died, literally for no reason, no drops, no spills, no jerks no nothing at all. it literally died for no reason!  never getting any beyers again.
so i want something that is a little tough and well built. 
also as im a student, i would love to save as well. i currently have Fiio E18 KUNLUN Amp/DAC which , i think, is more than enough to power 400i but not that much for HD 700 (although E18 supports up to 150 Ohm drivers) 

so, u say you have these both. looking at my weird case, lol, which one would u suggest?

Dec 6, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #5,493 of 9,320
so there is no one here defending bad reputation of their cans and who can compare these with HE 400i? :blink:
Lol, HD 700's are fine, you just have to know how to implement them in your rig. They are not for noobs. I have 650's and 700's and listen to the 700's more. To me the HE400i's are completely different animals. You will need different gear to make them sound decent. When you compare headphones please try to compare those with the same impedance on the same gear. If not it will be hit or miss.

Dec 6, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #5,497 of 9,320
Everyone has different ears and gear, so no one can tell you which of these will sound the best with your ears and gear.

That said, given your circumstances, I would suggest the HD700 for two reasons. One is comfort. And two, if the sonic signature is not quite right, it is far easier to mod the HD700 than it is the HE400i.

Dec 6, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #5,498 of 9,320
Dec 6, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #5,499 of 9,320
  thanks for answer.
let me first clear my position to you, again, i have to import (anyone of these 2 cans which i finally decide to get) and have to pay cost, import and other fees myself. i would not be able to return these, nor exchange no nothing, other than dead on arrival situation.

i listen to every type of music. i have no liking for one specific kind. i like a little bit of bass though, and i highly highly appreciate deep, and wide sound stage. but not DT 990 wide though!

i have to look for every aspect, build quality (because which ever i get will stay with me for many years), comfort (cause i put headphones on for over 5 hours a day), sound (should be well balanced, not so bass heavy, not so high treble something in between) 

i have faith in sennheiser quality, cause my 4 years old, which i put away when last year i got DT 990, i though of selling that away, but last  week my DT 990 right side driver died, literally for no reason, no drops, no spills, no jerks no nothing at all. it literally died for no reason!  never getting any beyers again.
so i want something that is a little tough and well built. 
also as im a student, i would love to save as well. i currently have Fiio E18 KUNLUN Amp/DAC which , i think, is more than enough to power 400i but not that much for HD 700 (although E18 supports up to 150 Ohm drivers) 

so, u say you have these both. looking at my weird case, lol, which one would u suggest?

Since you did not like the wide sound stage of the DT-990 then you probably will not like the HD-700 which also has a wide sound stage.
As for build quality, Sennheiser, Beyer, Hifiman headphones don't seem to have too many problems since I haven't seen much mention for them on any of the threads.  I would not consider either HE-400i or HD-700 as tough, they are not designed for portable use.  I would say V-Moda, Audio Technia, Momentums, or some Sonys would be "tough" headphones, designed for portable use and much easier to drive.

Dec 7, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #5,500 of 9,320

Cable Change Strikes Gold

I know that this sounds stupid, but my HD700s just went through a huge upgrade in SQ with a simple cable change. The stock $300 Sennheiser cables are significantly holding down the HD700 SQ. At the Seattle meet this weekend, I had an opportunity to hear them with the Norne Solv X silver litz cable and all I can say is wow!!! Details have gone from an 8 to a 15, bass has gone from a 6 to a 10, sound stage is now very 3D with a lot of extra texturing clues. The texturing is what is the most amazing. The note has thickened and come alive while somehow keeping its delicacy. The scaling was crazy with the Summit gear at the meet with my preference going to the HD700 in direct comparison to the HD800. Maybe I am crazy, but I had to buy the cables immediately when I heard them. 

What bugs me is why? I have been listening since then on the X7 tour unit, which requires a balanced 4pin to single ended adapter as well as a cheap grado full sized to 3.5 adapter. Wouldn't that negate the cable advantage? I did get the balanced to single ended adapter form Norne too at the meet so that may not be holding anything down, but certainly that cheap grado adapter and to be a monkey wrench. Regardless, the HD700 that I have been reviewing the X7 with all week is a different beast and the X7 scaled much higher than I was reporting. I had to redo my review it was that different.

Maybe I just drank too much of the Coolade, but man, something changed for the significant better. Has anyone else experienced this or does my new cable contain some sort of pixie dust?

Dec 7, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #5,501 of 9,320

I know that this sounds stupid, but my HD700s just went through a huge upgrade in SQ with a simple cable change. The stock $300 Sennheiser cables are significantly holding down the HD700 SQ. At the Seattle meet this weekend, I had an opportunity to hear them with the Norne Solv X silver litz cable and all I can say is wow!!! Details have gone from an 8 to a 15, bass has gone from a 6 to a 10, sound stage is now very 3D with a lot of extra texturing clues. The texturing is what is the most amazing. The note has thickened and come alive while somehow keeping its delicacy. The scaling was crazy with the Summit gear at the meet with my preference going to the HD700 in direct comparison to the HD800. Maybe I am crazy, but I had to buy the cables immediately when I heard them. 

What bugs me is why? I have been listening since then on the X7 tour unit, which requires a balanced 4pin to single ended adapter as well as a cheap grado full sized to 3.5 adapter. Wouldn't that negate the cable advantage? I did get the balanced to single ended adapter form Norne too at the meet so that may not be holding anything down, but certainly that cheap grado adapter and to be a monkey wrench. Regardless, the HD700 that I have been reviewing the X7 with all week is a different beast and the X7 scaled much higher than I was reporting. I had to redo my review it was that different.

Maybe I just drank too much of the Coolade, but man, something changed for the significant better. Has anyone else experienced this or does my new cable contain some sort of pixie dust?

If someone put a blindfold on you and changed the cables from your originals to the Norne do you think you could tell the difference??  Do that ten times, and pick the Norne 10 times out of ten and I'd say you've got something. 

Dec 7, 2015 at 6:33 PM Post #5,502 of 9,320

If someone put a blindfold on you and changed the cables from your originals to the Norne do you think you could tell the difference??  Do that ten times, and pick the Norne 10 times out of ten and I'd say you've got something. 

We have been doing a lot of blind testing at Seattle mini-meets and I agree with you that that blind testing is a game changer. So when I say yes I believe I could, let me preface this by saying that the source pairing and familiar equipment is important and the music quality/familiarity is critical. So sticking with the X7 setup I mentioned and my meet playlist that I am familiar with, no problem as it is that obvious. Going to an unfamiliar rig with a unfamiliar songs and the results may be more questionable. Even then, there is enough of a difference that if I was given enough time I feel I would be able to nail it.

At the next mini-meet, I will try to arrange a blind test, not just for me but for others to see what the results are - should be interesting. 

Dec 8, 2015 at 5:16 AM Post #5,503 of 9,320
In addition to blind testing, these cables should be run through an Audio Precision analyzer.  I've done it a bit with speaker cables (though I don't have access to any crazy high-end stuff), and have found measurable differences, but they were way too small to be noticeable by human hearing.

Dec 8, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #5,505 of 9,320
  so there is no one here defending bad reputation of their cans and who can compare these with HE 400i? 
blink.gif

Have tried both and the bad rep isn't at all deserving nor does it hold whatsoever. HE-400is don't even compare in anything but mids and bass. The mids are pretty good on the He-400is and did were slightly liquid smooth like on the LCD-2s, but not nearly as much, the HD700s still win. As for the bass, the texture, and reproduction is something else. Quantity...of course the dynamic HD700s win, they can also be EQed to produce some heavy bass that rivals some closed-backs...but they're no Denons or Fostexs. I now have the HD800s...the HD700s are literally the poor man's HD800s as the HD800s are just the HD700s on steroids. 

As for the treble spike DavidA mentioned...nothing compared to the T90s. Those are some hot ass cans, the spike is not a big deal. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back