Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Mar 25, 2015 at 12:19 AM Post #3,196 of 9,320
  ^^ Now, on to jazz.... John Coltrane "Giant Steps" sounds really nice with these headphones.

Jazz vocals? Listening to Betty Carter's "Social Call" is listenable, but not as engaging as with the HD-650s. The detail, again, is great and fun to listen to, but Betty's vocals are missing the warmth I am used to.

A long way to go, evaluating these 'phones.

^^ Now, on to acoustic... Distance, Light & Sky "Casting Nets" is sounding sweet with the HD-700 (I've seen a number of comments about how well these cans do acoustic). Incredible separation of instruments, great guitar tone, with audible sounds of fingers plucking strings (very cool!) and the percussion sounds so natural (a small kick drum?).

D, L & S has a male singer and a female singer; his voice is gravelly (is that a word?) and forceful; with the 700s, her voice is a little edgy / irritating, but I suspect over time my brain will adjust to that. Lately, this is my demo disc, when "civilians" want to hear my rig and with the 650s the vocals are magic. But with the 700s, the instruments are in a whole 'nother league.

I have to keep in mind that it took me weeks of listening to fall in love with the HD-650s and I need to give these cans a real chance.

BTW, I rolled in a new power tube, just to make things more complicated for myself: a Tung-Sol 6520, which has a more pronounced, bloomy upper bass than the Western Electric 421a and it's very pronounced with these 'phones. I am learning that these cans are more sensitive to tube rolling than the HD-650s.

Mar 25, 2015 at 5:40 AM Post #3,197 of 9,320

BTW, I rolled in a new power tube, just to make things more complicated for myself: a Tung-Sol 6520, which has a more pronounced, bloomy upper bass than the Western Electric 421a and it's very pronounced with these 'phones. I am learning that these cans are more sensitive to tube rolling than the HD-650s.

I really like the RCA black plates 6AS7G with the HD 700 if you have one of those to try.

Mar 25, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #3,198 of 9,320

I really like the RCA black plates 6AS7G with the HD 700 if you have one of those to try.

Believe it or not... I *do* have a set of those. I will roll-in and see how it sounds.

Mar 25, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #3,199 of 9,320

^^ Now, on to acoustic... Distance, Light & Sky "Casting Nets" is sounding sweet with the HD-700 ...

<snip, snip>

^^ Now, on to alt rock and pop (whatever those terms mean)... Lana Del Rey "Ultraviolence". Well, this is where the HD-700s fall down. Yes, the detail is there, the separation is there and it's very listenable, et al. But this album really pushed me over the tipping point when I acquired my HD-650s; with the 700s, the music lacks warmth and soul. And, her voice is a little edgy/irritating, as opposed to smooth and syrupy, and the guitar work is lifeless. I know all of that's very subjective, but that's my impression.

Similarly, I switched to Lorde "Pure Heroine" and the music itself is just stunning, from the details and imaging, et al.; really. But, the vocals just don't engage on an emotional level.

I switched back to the HD-650 for the above tracks, which is hard to do, since the 700 has a brighter presentation; the 650 mids now sound a little harsh. But the trade-off is worth it for the lush sound of the guitar in "Cruel World" and Lana's vocals in "Pretty When You Cry".

I spent hours last night listening to Electronic music with the HD-700 (Orchestra of the Upper Atmosphere "O2", among others) and was anticipating a dental-drill experience. But, to my surprise, it was really pleasant and engaging for all of the reasons that the 700s excel with classical strings.

Mar 25, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #3,200 of 9,320
Not all recordings are equal and the HD700 will not compromise what they are good at, I didn’t have the 650s but the 600s and held onto them until I was comfortable in accepting that with the HD700s there may be a give and take with some recordings.
Now maybe due to my associated equipment, music and/or my ears I’ve not been bothered by any treble peaks or annoying highs so IMHO the 700 were in the end a definite overall upgrade in all areas over the older 600s which eventually sat around collecting dust.

Mar 25, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #3,201 of 9,320
Anyone in IL who currently uses the HD 700 with an amp. If ok, I'd like to swing by to compare the unit I have and see if amps make a diff in sound. I'm not sure if the HD 700 currently is for me. For any tracks with vocals I find the HD 650 more engaging and fuller. For symphonies and classical guitar the HD 700. The HD 650 is the better all rounder, and the HD 700 is the perfectionist on two things IMO (based on all the headphones I've owned).

Mar 25, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #3,202 of 9,320
There is a meet in Chicago in a month, you'd probably be able to listen to anything you want right in Chicago. I'm 2 hrs from there in the Quad Cities that's a long drive to have a listen. I've only had my bottlehead crack for few days and I think it tamed the highs on the 700. It's much better now to me I think. Before I was certain I would sell it, now I'm not sure.

Basically you guys are now understanding why we all don't have just ONE pair of headphones. Because others bring a certain something to the table another pair can't. HD 650 vs HD 700 perfect example.

Mar 25, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #3,203 of 9,320
I know about the meet (but thank you!) but I'll prob be outside the return window on the HD 700 by then. And unfortunately I can only make it on Friday and Sunday of Axpona. The meet is on Saturday :) Go figure.

Just checked last day to return the HD 700 is April 22nd :) And I thought I would be able to but my wife is not going to have any of it: Keeping both HD 650 AND the  HD 700 while also keeping the recently bought Shures SRH1540. She knows that Shures are here to stay but both HD 650 and HD 700 can not co-exist. Aye caramba

Mar 25, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #3,204 of 9,320
Well welcome to bring your Shures so I can listen haha. Drive on over, I have nice Tung Sol 5998 and Telefunken in the crack w/speedball upgrade and rca clear top, Amperex Orange globe to try too. I have a $300 high end Black Dragon Headphone Cable V2 for the HD 650 as well you can see if that makes any difference to your ears. Oh I also have a pair of 20 yr old HD 560 Ovation II's that I find honestly better than the 650 and 700 both. I would love to hear what others think. I just love them they are so musical.

Mar 25, 2015 at 8:19 PM Post #3,205 of 9,320
  I know about the meet (but thank you!) but I'll prob be outside the return window on the HD 700 by then. And unfortunately I can only make it on Friday and Sunday of Axpona. The meet is on Saturday :) Go figure.

Just checked last day to return the HD 700 is April 22nd :) And I thought I would be able to but my wife is not going to have any of it: Keeping both HD 650 AND the  HD 700 while also keeping the recently bought Shures SRH1540. She knows that Shures are here to stay but both HD 650 and HD 700 can not co-exist. Aye caramba

I have a SRH-1840 which is close to a HD650 so if I had to decide between HD650 and HD700, the HD650 goes first.  Luckily my girlfriend doesn't make me make that kind of decision, she actually enjoys listening with me so having a few different phones help and even better is she will buy them herself (as long as there are no sales on hand bags).

Mar 26, 2015 at 1:13 AM Post #3,206 of 9,320

^^ Now, on to alt rock and pop (whatever those terms mean)... 

Well, I'm back to my HD-650s tonight. I wanted to listen to Led Zeppelin and, I'm sorry, the 700s can't cut it with than genre.

I'm going to keep the 700s, because I went in with my eyes wide open and bought them for classical strings - and for that, they absolutely kill anything I've ever heard to date.

So, thank God headphone cables aren't soldered into amps 
L3000.gif

Mar 26, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #3,207 of 9,320

Well, I'm back to my HD-650s tonight. I wanted to listen to Led Zeppelin and, I'm sorry, the 700s can't cut it with than genre.

I'm going to keep the 700s, because I went in with my eyes wide open and bought them for classical strings - and for that, they absolutely kill anything I've ever heard to date.

So, thank God headphone cables aren't soldered into amps 
L3000.gif

It's funny how people hear things differently and have different preferences.  For me, the HD700 destroys the HD600 in all subgenres of rock (granted, I haven't owned the HD650, but I have heard that it is similar to the HD600).

Mar 26, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #3,208 of 9,320
The HD700 is good, but it does not destroy neither the H600 nor the HD650. I did some testing on the HD650 last week. Popped on Deep Purple Made in Japan. this record started my interest in Hifi in 1973.  Only wanted to listen to one or two songs, ended up by listening to the complete record...all on a very loud listening level as such record requires. The HD650 can carry you through the world of Rock for sure. It grows with the supply chain you hook it to. And it avoids to annoy you by overly emphasizing the distortions of guitars and synthesizers. It can do all kinds of Jazz and Classic too. Not to forget Pop. The HD700 is far more dependent on the material you feed it with, as my ears are still intact. I like it very much, but Made in Japan is not the stuff I want to run with the HD700.

Mar 26, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #3,209 of 9,320
I am planning to upgrade from my AKG K702/65, is the HD700 worth it if I can get it for SGD990? Or am I better off waiting for the EL8 or look somewhere else under SGD1000(USD750)?

I like my AKG with my custom cable very much but I just wanna upgrade for the "last time". Currently using iFi Micro iDSD & Garage1217 Project Sunrise III /w Amperex 6DJ8 (orange/gold label).

Mar 26, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #3,210 of 9,320
  The HD700 is good, ... snip,snip, but Made in Japan is not the stuff I want to run with the HD700.

That's an epic, live album: "...can I have everything louder than everything else..."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back