Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Mar 21, 2015 at 11:38 PM Post #3,166 of 9,298
  We have the same ears. 

Excellent, we both share atrocious ears. Beers are on me next time we meet.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 21, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #3,168 of 9,298
  Ahahahaha.

WHAT?!
WHAT WAS THAT?
WHAT DID YOU SAY?

I have to say though, although female vocals aren't as intimate, they're a lot more airy and spacious than the 600. That being said, I don't think they're better than each other when it comes to female vocals, merely different.

Mar 22, 2015 at 12:59 AM Post #3,169 of 9,298
Oh boy....well I'm only going to keep two headphones from amongst these:

HD 598
HD 650
HD 700

+ Shure SRH1540 (keeping these Shures for now till I come across a more neutral closed HP but with awesome mids, sub-bass, bass and soundstage)

Will only keep two Sennheisers though...I don't even know what to expect with the Fidelio X2....the more I read and see Youtube reviews about it, seems like it may be a replacement for the HD 650. I honestly only want two-three headphones that will complete my collection for the next 5-7 years.

And I pulled the trigger on the HD 700 as I got an INSAAAAANE deal from Amazon.com (USA). Not refurbished, not returns, not an Amazon Warehouse purchase :)

Mar 22, 2015 at 1:03 AM Post #3,170 of 9,298
PS I will be plugging these into a Sound Blaster ZXR that I also got for $149.99 :) 

Won't get any amps/dacs for now. Will wait for AXPONA next month to test out Fidelio's, some Audeze and Amps/DACs. Saving up for AXPONA, as I've already spent WAAAAY too much on HP in last 3 months

HD 650
Shure SRH1540 
Sound Blaster ZxR
HD 700

My wife is seriously on the verge of slapping some financial sensibility into me...

Mar 22, 2015 at 7:39 AM Post #3,171 of 9,298
  PS I will be plugging these into a Sound Blaster ZXR that I also got for $149.99 :) 

Won't get any amps/dacs for now. Will wait for AXPONA next month to test out Fidelio's, some Audeze and Amps/DACs. Saving up for AXPONA, as I've already spent WAAAAY too much on HP in last 3 months

HD 650
Shure SRH1540 
Sound Blaster ZxR
HD 700

My wife is seriously on the verge of slapping some financial sensibility into me...

I'm glad my girlfriend is about even with me when it comes to audio gear.  With that said, she only will listen to the HD-700 on a Teac AH-01 or project ember, everything else is too bright for her, I can go with a Lyr2 but that's about it.

Mar 22, 2015 at 8:12 AM Post #3,172 of 9,298
  I'm glad my girlfriend is about even with me when it comes to audio gear.  With that said, she only will listen to the HD-700 on a Teac AH-01 or project ember, everything else is too bright for her, I can go with a Lyr2 but that's about it.

We get it, you have an audiophile girlfriend.
smily_headphones1.gif

That being said, any amp suggestions that could ramp up the bass a bit, while retaining the soundstage and clarity? At times, especially with modern music, I feel that it could use a bit more kick that an EQ just doesn't do it justice.

Mar 22, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #3,173 of 9,298
as you think of the studio wirelss or the B&O H8 have been told they are good I hear music in my iphone 6 and I liked the sound of sennheiser hd dj7 but the bass are a bit loose and ps for use with cell has no support as answering call or something. listen to the urbanite in a store and really sounded very short and did not like No probe with my iphone ipad sounded from a and listen to the beats studio and I quite liked the sound was heard plenty of space and a powerful low but again do not want to buy a bad headphones want to invest but in very good no matter how worth but have a good quality and low good
]

Mar 22, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #3,174 of 9,298
Oh boy....well I'm only going to keep two headphones from amongst these:

HD 598
HD 650
HD 700

+ Shure SRH1540 (keeping these Shures for now till I come across a more neutral closed HP but with awesome mids, sub-bass, bass and soundstage)

Will only keep two Sennheisers though...I don't even know what to expect with the Fidelio X2....the more I read and see Youtube reviews about it, seems like it may be a replacement for the HD 650. I honestly only want two-three headphones that will complete my collection for the next 5-7 years.

And I pulled the trigger on the HD 700 as I got an INSAAAAANE deal from Amazon.com (USA). Not refurbished, not returns, not an Amazon Warehouse purchase :)

Fantastic deal. I'm starting to get interested in these but Tyll's measured 6k treble splke has me concerned. Right in the vocal sibiance region. The 600's treble is just right for me. Other than that the 700s should be fantastic, and the spike may not be as audible as it looks on paper. Good luck. Having the 650 and 700 both is very desirable. I found the 598 to be just OK. Nothing bad, but nothing special, and equaled by cheaper cans.

Mar 22, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #3,175 of 9,298

We get it, you have an audiophile girlfriend.
smily_headphones1.gif

That being said, any amp suggestions that could ramp up the bass a bit, while retaining the soundstage and clarity? At times, especially with modern music, I feel that it could use a bit more kick that an EQ just doesn't do it justice.

I like the Project Ember with the HD-700, it brings out the bass a little more than the Lyr2 and tames the high to a reasonable level.  I like this setup for classic rock and some jazz.  I have the output impedance set to the middle jumper and still using the stock tube, new tubes coming in next week so will try and see how that changes the sound.
Girlfriend like the Teac AH-01 which is a warmer amp than the Ember and really smooth's the highs, too much for my liking but I think its because her hearing is a lot better than mine.

Mar 22, 2015 at 4:06 PM Post #3,176 of 9,298
You'd better marry her, she's in every post.

Mar 22, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #3,177 of 9,298
Thanks for having me guys, after another period of listening exclusively to the HD700 I've decided that, as amazing as they are, they're not for me and have posted them in the for sale thread. It's a shame I couldn't keep them as well as my HD650'S but I dont have that sort of cash just sitting around. Hopefully they will find a good home with a more appreciative owner.

Mar 22, 2015 at 8:30 PM Post #3,180 of 9,298

Haven't had a proper time to test them. Wife is sick. So been tending to her and unable to play with shiny new headphones as much as I'd like.

I have heard them and immediate impressions vs HD 650:
  1. Brighter
  2. A little sibilant in a few tracks (it may subside with a little burn in, burn-in did work with my Definitive Tech SM65 front/center channel bookshelves in removing sibilance from dialogue and scenes)
  3. Sound stage better
  4. Haven't thoroughly tested for Bass but it's there, prob not as much as HD 650 but still quality

I am finalizing a track listing I will spend time listening too over the next 1-2 weeks through the HD 650, HD 700, SRH1540. 10-12 tracks in total, 1-2 of each genres that I will play through at least twice with each headphone and then evaluate them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back