Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Jan 29, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #2,731 of 9,298

The only headphone I've heard that really sounds similar is the Beyer T1. Same bright treble, deep punchy bass. Outside of that (cheaper) options get farther away from a really similar sound. The DT990 has a kind of similar sound, but the treble really doesn't have the clarity of the T1 or HD700. 

hmm, I think I will agree with that.  The T1, in my opinion, had a much smoother treble though. Built like a tank too.  Loved that thing but dont think its worth its street price new.  

Jan 29, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #2,732 of 9,298
The HD598 sounds nothing like HD700. It's quite clear and thin with a pretty good soundstage. The cheap alternative one that I can think of is the Shure 940. Sound is super detailed, good transparent and quite punchy. Make sure it won't be cracked after your first time putting on. The build quality is the worst of all headphones I have owned.

Jan 29, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #2,733 of 9,298
The HD598 sounds nothing like HD700. It's quite clear and thin with a pretty good soundstage. The cheap alternative one that I can think of is the Shure 940. Sound is super detailed, good transparent and quite punchy. Make sure it won't be cracked after your first time putting on. The build quality is the worst of all headphones I have owned.

wow. Shure 940? thats unexpected.  A closed headphone? I never tried the 940 as the reviews were mixed but that is not a comparison I would have figured.  As for the HD598, the mids are good, the bass is a little light, but I personally do not think its thin.  Just another example of everyone hears different.

Jan 29, 2015 at 6:34 PM Post #2,735 of 9,298

The only headphone I've heard that really sounds similar is the Beyer T1. Same bright treble, deep punchy bass. Outside of that (cheaper) options get farther away from a really similar sound. The DT990 has a kind of similar sound, but the treble really doesn't have the clarity of the T1 or HD700. 

hmm, I think I will agree with that.  The T1, in my opinion, had a much smoother treble though. Built like a tank too.  Loved that thing but dont think its worth its street price new.  

SSSSHHHhhhhhh. People don't like hearing that 
wink.gif

I agree though. There was a big "rush" in the $1000 - $2000 area when the LCD-2 and HD800 came out. Seems too many people would find price point as an indicator of performance, rather than SQ. I think the HD800 and T1 especially aren't worth their asking price.

Jan 29, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #2,736 of 9,298
wow. Shure 940? thats unexpected.  A closed headphone? I never tried the 940 as the reviews were mixed but that is not a comparison I would have figured.  As for the HD598, the mids are good, the bass is a little light, but I personally do not think its thin.  Just another example of everyone hears different.

The Shure 940 doesn't sound like a closed phone at all. Yes, it has some close cans characteristics, but doesn't isolate so well. You should give it a try :), just don't buy it. It has a lovely mid and outstanding detailed retrieval. HD598 sound is not exactly thin, it is just quite blank imo. Various headphones are strange that i didn't like at first, but grow on you. The HD598 and HE400 are two I deeply love it initally, but a couple days later, their problems became appealing obviously. The T1 and HD700 are growing headphones. The HD700 (whi I like more than HE-500, HE-560 ,and HD600) is sitting on my desk still and the T1 unoffortunately was sold due to financial difficulties:frowning2:.

Jan 29, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #2,737 of 9,298

SSSSHHHhhhhhh. People don't like hearing that 
wink.gif

I agree though. There was a big "rush" in the $1000 - $2000 area when the LCD-2 and HD800 came out. Seems too many people would find price point as an indicator of performance, rather than SQ. I think the HD800 and T1 especially aren't worth their asking price.

I see you have the hd700 and the matrix m-stage, could you comment on how those two pair up ?
Thanks

Jan 31, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #2,740 of 9,298
I find it strange that before I'd gotten the HD700, started out with a HD800 first actually, I'd gathered through various reviews and threads that the HD700 would be problematic due to treble spikes. But seriously, it sounds very warm to me, not in the least bit bright or agressive. I'm wondering if my hearing's shot to hell.....but then, I put on my HD800 and all the treble, not bright at all, is there so I'm really confused here. One thing about the HD700, I enjoy actually listening to songs with it as opposed to my HD800 which I tend to.....well, listen to the sound rather than the music. Anyway, still getting to know my cans......and tubes.

Trying out a Telefunken ECC88 6DJ8 (also have a pair of Amperex, trying to get some Mullard), I can't decide if I'm imagining it, but I did notice a little coarseness in the voice of a rather well known Chinese singer here (Jie Tou by Ah Mei) playing DSD64 tracks via my computer using Fostex music player with a Fostex HPA4 + Lyr stack. There was a little edginess/harshness when I was using the stock tubes that came with the Lyr. But with the Telefunken tubes, I noticed that this edginess seemed to have been smoothened out somewhat.....can different tubes do that?                                                     

Jan 31, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #2,741 of 9,298
Someday I'll have to try the T1, but yeah... The HD700 grows on me and hardly any other headphone gets time now, even my newer on the go Bluetooth headphonrs.

l also agree. l was 3 days away and l was really missing the 700s. Yesterday, l sent the cable to a person to have it reterminated (XLR) and l took my HE-400 and X1s out to give them a chance. l'm still enjoying the HE-400 but, at times, l'm like: "l'm missing something here". l no longer enjoy the X1s... Maybe if l gave them more time (as l did in the past) they'd grow on me again but... l'm not into it. l think l'll give them away at some point...

By the way, (mainly) for those of you in Europe, this person l mentioned makes cables, too. He's in Spain. Check out the cables here

Jan 31, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #2,742 of 9,298
Is the HD700 worth upgrading to from the HD598? Will it be better at everything? (If you can compare the two that'd be nice).

Also I heard the HD700 shines at female vocalists, is this true?

Jan 31, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #2,743 of 9,298
  Is the HD700 worth upgrading to from the HD598? Will it be better at everything? (If you can compare the two that'd be nice).

Also I heard the HD700 shines at female vocalists, is this true?

Let me be honest, to be sure you need to own both in parallel for some time to be able to compare. The HD598 is by no means a bad headphone and the HD700 maybe a big step up or a sidestep for you, that depends on your taste only.

Jan 31, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #2,744 of 9,298
Been reading reviews and people said the bad thing about this is it's treble peaks.

To be honest I don't even know what treble peaks means. But are they correct and is this bad? Wanting to buy the HD700 but need to know what I'm getting myself into.

Jan 31, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #2,745 of 9,298
I demoed some 700s awhile ago and really, liked them. They were a lighter, more comfortable somewhat livelier version of my HD600s. The cab.e was horrible. Very easily kinked and twisted. Nice headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back