Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Apr 22, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #1,636 of 9,298
I received my HD700 today and starting listening right away. What an incredible sound, very immersive. It was an intoxicating sound. Super comfortable pads. I just pulled them off my head after a 2 hour session. Haven't even hooked to my main system yet. Started out on an iPod Classic 7g and headamp pico power and a couple of pints of Lagunitas. Damn nice. Can't wait until I get a chance to do some real critical listening. Very impressed so far.

Apr 22, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #1,637 of 9,298
I received my HD700 today and starting listening right away. What an incredible sound, very immersive. It was an intoxicating sound. Super comfortable pads. I just pulled them off my head after a 2 hour session. Haven't even hooked to my main system yet. Started out on an iPod Classic 7g and headamp pico power and a couple of pints of Lagunitas. Damn nice. Can't wait until I get a chance to do some real critical listening. Very impressed so far.

Great choice!  I love my HD700 as well.  Far better than HD650 IMO.

Apr 23, 2014 at 1:32 AM Post #1,638 of 9,298
I've owned the HD-800 and 700s before. I only recently went back and re-bought the 700s a couple week ago. As someone that has been using the 600 and 650s for years now, I can say I definitely agree. The 700's comfort is amazing (you can listen for hours, and not even feel them on your head). And the overall sound once you get the right set up (DAC/Amp mix levels etc.) is superb. Loving these headphones the more I listen to them!

Quote:

Great choice!  I love my HD700 as well.  Far better than HD650 IMO.

Apr 23, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #1,640 of 9,298
What I'm most impressed after two nights of listening to my new to me HD700 is the bass handling ability.  I'm running them off a vintage Pioneer Spec system and was not expecting the bass to be so powerful or so tight.  Did a A/B with my D7000's last night to check my sanity and was quite amazed they were far from bass light. 

Apr 23, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #1,641 of 9,298
The bass is great indeed. Not heavy, not light. It fit perfect in the style of music. (rock, altenative and electronic)

So far the easiest to listen to, even more so than the Audio Technica W1000X that I absolutely love...

Apr 28, 2014 at 2:02 AM Post #1,642 of 9,298
Hi Guys
Just had mine for a few days. Picked up a bargain new pair (have authenticated them as genuine BTW) and thought I'd give 'em a try.
First impressions are that these are sublimely comfortable and have a big soundstage.
Yes I have heard that treble peak but what is puzzling me is that, to me, they sound slightly veiled and not as much 'fun' as my other Senns, the in ear IE800.
I've not read that sort of comment before and wondering. Burn in time needed maybe?

AK240>HD700

Apr 28, 2014 at 2:26 AM Post #1,643 of 9,298
Hi Guys
Just had mine for a few days. Picked up a bargain new pair (have authenticated them as genuine BTW) and thought I'd give 'em a try.
First impressions are that these are sublimely comfortable and have a big soundstage.
Yes I have heard that treble peak but what is puzzling me is that, to me, they sound slightly veiled and not as much 'fun' as my other Senns, the in ear IE800.
I've not read that sort of comment before and wondering. Burn in time needed maybe?

AK240>HD700

They weren't meant to be fun sounding, they were meant for music reproduction which will sound analytical.

Also, they are semi-amp dependent. On my galaxy note phone, it sounded rather dull and lifeless, but on my Schiit M&M combo, it sounded beautifully.

And yes, other Senneheiser could sound more fun than the HD700 (e.g. my HD25 sounds more fun than my HD700).

Apr 28, 2014 at 2:57 AM Post #1,644 of 9,298
  They weren't meant to be fun sounding, they were meant for music reproduction which will sound analytical.

Also, they are semi-amp dependent. On my galaxy note phone, it sounded rather dull and lifeless, but on my Schiit M&M combo, it sounded beautifully.

And yes, other Senneheiser could sound more fun than the HD700 (e.g. my HD25 sounds more fun than my HD700).

That's your opinion (a little bluntly and discourteously put may I add). Still that's the prerogative of extreme youth.

Apr 28, 2014 at 3:34 AM Post #1,647 of 9,298
  For 'fun' read sparkle.
BTW SonyMDRer putting a word in inverted commas means that word is not to be taken literally.

Alright then, it seems like I'm not talking to anyone half intelligent here. I'll leave you be and let others answer you.

P.S. I am still puzzled at why you took such a huge offence to my earlier comment. I did not mean to attack your thoughts or beliefs. Oh well, guess that's internet.

Apr 29, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #1,648 of 9,298
  Alright then, it seems like I'm not talking to anyone half intelligent here. I'll leave you be and let others answer you.

P.S. I am still puzzled at why you took such a huge offence to my earlier comment. I did not mean to attack your thoughts or beliefs. Oh well, guess that's internet.

Might as well enjoy the comedy associated with superiority complexes. It's more fun than interacting with these people in any way, shape or form. They usually take great joy at becoming keyboard warriors rather than doing anything important with their lives, since the thought that he/she knows everything will usually inhibit their ability to learn new things.

May 5, 2014 at 7:15 AM Post #1,649 of 9,298
Can I please ask if you would recommend the HD700 after coming from an HD598 and enjoying the soundstage and clarity aspects of those cans?

FYI, I'm also looking at the HD650 and Beyer T90. (wasn't a fan of the comfort of the HiFiMan unfortunately)

For more info about my prefs, what I'm looking for (if this helps), here's a post I put up: http://www.head-fi.org/t/716320/recommendations-for-both-open-and-closed-headphones-hd-650-vs-he-500-460i-b-w-p7-vs-nad-hp50-etc#post_10494617

At any rate, I know I may receive some feedback skewed to the HD700 in this forum, but it'd still be great to hear from anyone who has had a similar journey.

Cheers!

May 5, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #1,650 of 9,298
The HD700 and HD598 have more similar sound signatures than the HD598 vs HD650.
So the HD700 is actually a more linear upgrade, though you need a heavier amp for it.
The HD650 is half upgrade, half give and take thing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back