Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Nov 1, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #7,966 of 9,324
So.... I'm returning to the 700's for the 4th time..

Awesome! Welcome back again.

The HD700 is a very unique design, and really, aside from the HE1, it really is one of Sennheiser's most recent design conceptually. Even with HD800S and HD660S - they are just tweaks to platforms that precede the HD700. The new HD660S (rumoured to use a similar driver to the HD700) won't have all of the 700s properties as its being put in a fairly conventional enclosure.

Instead of embracing a different sound, or trying to appreciate it, I think many people just were challenged by the HD700's signature - and I can understand that - but I think many missed out. It can take a bit of time to 'get it' and once your brain wraps around its presentation it can deliver very lifelike spatialization.

Technically, the driver alone I wouldn't put above a planar - be it HE560 or LCD2. But its tuning and interaction with the enclosure creates something very unique. But I may be underselling it, because I do reach for the HD700 10x more than my LCD2, mostly for convenience/comfort, but it is a very clean listen - more so than the HD650 was.

Nov 3, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #7,968 of 9,324
So.... I'm returning to the 700's for the 4th time. Lol.

I spent the last year with the HE560's and I think it's a fantastic can. The thing that started bothering me in the last couple of months was it's lack of dynamics, space and, air. There's certain music in my collection that I would skip over because it lacked engagement and was just down right boring with the 560's.

I recently chose the he560 over the hd700, so your post got my attention. What kind of music do you listen to? To me, pop and rock can sound horrible on the he560. At least my pair suffers from the same sibilance that my 400i did. But I don't care about that because I want my he560 only for classical, which sounds really good on it.

The main problem I'm having with the he560 is comfort. It feels like an on-ear rather than over-ear. So I'm considering either replacing the earpads with the perforated ZMF Ori or returning the 560 and getting the 700. Any thoughts?

Nov 3, 2017 at 11:52 PM Post #7,969 of 9,324
I recently chose the he560 over the hd700, so your post got my attention. What kind of music do you listen to? To me, pop and rock can sound horrible on the he560. At least my pair suffers from the same sibilance that my 400i did. But I don't care about that because I want my he560 only for classical, which sounds really good on it.

The main problem I'm having with the he560 is comfort. It feels like an on-ear rather than over-ear. So I'm considering either replacing the earpads with the perforated ZMF Ori or returning the 560 and getting the 700. Any thoughts?
Also replied in the HE560 thread, don't get the perforated pads, one of the posters in the M1060 thread measured them and noted that they kill the bass.

The HD700 is a very comfortable headphone, one of the most comfortable to me. But with pop and rock they will probably be about as sibilant as the HE560 if not driven with a slightly warm amp. I use a BH Crack, Lyr2 or Ember with the HD700 but the headphone jack of the UD-301 DAC is also quite good with the HD700. The M/M stack was quite bad with the HD700 and I also don't care for the Asgard2 with the HD700 either. Classical music doesn't seem to have a problem with sibilance since most recordings are better and they are usually not as compressed and lack the electronic manipulation done with most current pop and rock.

Nov 3, 2017 at 11:56 PM Post #7,970 of 9,324
1. Also replied in the HE560 thread, don't get the perforated pads, one of the posters in the M1060 thread measured them and noted that they kill the bass.

2. The HD700 is a very comfortable headphone, one of the most comfortable to me.

3. Classical music doesn't seem to have a problem with sibilance since most recordings are better and they are usually not as compressed and lack the electronic manipulation done with most current pop and rock.
1. Which pads would you recommend then then? I read your comments in the 560 thread but you didn't suggest an alternative.

2. The comfort sounds like music to my ears right now. I listened to a four hour Wagner opera on the he560 a few nights ago and my ears still feel sore.

3. That's actually what I thought it was.

Nov 4, 2017 at 1:01 AM Post #7,971 of 9,324
I'm all over the place when it comes to music. Anything from Miles Davis, to Infected Mushroom. Lol.

For me. I grew up in a household around musicians. So beings I heard live music through my entire youth, it's always been my reference when it comes reproduction. Whether it be speakers and since 2009, headphones.
Dynamics, imaging and space is a key element to live music.
With that said. The 560's , are a fantastic headphone. At the end of the day, their lack of the above , in comparison to the 700's is why I'm back to the 700's.

I never considered the 700's as my reference headphone. I suppose it is, beings I keep coming back to it. It has the ability to create such a realistic presentation.
Out of all the cans I've owned. It's as close as I've come to my quest in producing live music.

For classical and acoustic. To my ears. The 700's are hands down better than the 560's in that regard. Other than those genres. They have their trade offs.

Regarding the pads. I tried most of the pads that are in the pad rolling thread for hifiman. If you're having an issue with the stock pads as far as your ears not sitting inside the pad. Do not get the Ori pads. I found the openings to be smaller. Same with the Dekoni. My favorite pad was the HM5 angled velour. Takes the heat off the treble, and my ears fit nicely in the holes. And they're extremely comfortable.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/322769902135

Nov 4, 2017 at 3:17 AM Post #7,972 of 9,324
@Guidostrunk, the pads you linked to actually have a smaller inner opening than the Ori pads according to the published measurements and the Dekoni (TH-900 sheep skin) that I have measured a 5mm larger interior opening than the Focus pads. Since the pads you linked to are oval does putting them on the rings stretch the opening?

Nov 4, 2017 at 3:25 AM Post #7,973 of 9,324
The rings don't really stretch the opening nor do they change the Oval opening. I think that's why my ears have a better fit in the pads.
I don't have big ears, but with circular pads, I have to constantly fiddle with fit and comfort. Same with the he500 when I had them. The Vegans were the best for me.
I will stress this though. Getting the rings in the hm5 pads, could potentially cause a nervous breakdown LOL. a complete pita, but worth it when accomplished.
@Guidostrunk, the pads you linked to actually have a smaller inner opening than the Ori pads according to the published measurements and the Dekoni (TH-900 sheep skin) that I have measured a 5mm larger interior opening than the Focus pads. Since the pads you linked to are oval does putting them on the rings stretch the opening?

Nov 4, 2017 at 6:30 AM Post #7,975 of 9,324
Posted this in another thread but I thought I'd share it here as well:

For me the HD700 (Anaxilus mod) is a good deal more enjoyable than the HD650. Every time I use them I'm surprised how much I enjoy them, they're really a mini HD800S. They're also the most comfortable headphones I've ever owned.

Nov 4, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #7,976 of 9,324
I have my HD700 for few weeks now l listened to it without switching back to my other headphones so i guess i got used to it's sound signature.Just now i switched back to HD650 what a difference the 650's mids it's just in your face but no deep bass and lack of treble compared to the HD700,now i understand why some people will used the "V" for the HD650.

Nov 4, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #7,977 of 9,324
i-rqkhQ3J.jpg

Definitely like the HD700 with my Gustard setup, if they only had more bass impact/presence they would be perfect (they are the absolute thinnest/weakest bass sounding headphones I have, my modded SHP9500 has noticeably more impact and body [but it doesn't have the clarity, detail, speed, or smoothness of the HD700]). Should be getting a Schiit Loki coming in soon (trading for my JAZZ-ff amp) which I've been wanting to try out with the HD700 and M1060 since it was first announced.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2017 at 6:45 PM Post #7,978 of 9,324
My experience is just the opposite. With that said, my gear is completely different though.
Through my vintage Sansui, the bass impact and slam is jaw rattling. They hit extremely hard. Totally outperforms my cans that I just sold in that regard. The HE560's.
I don't remember my HE500's even hitting this hard.
Bass presence is pretty close to the 560's.

Hard to say why they're sounding thin to you. We all do hear things differently though.

Cheers
i-rqkhQ3J.jpg

Definitely like the HD700 with my Gustard setup, if they only had more bass impact/presence they would be perfect (they are the absolute thinnest/weakest bass sounding headphones I have, my modded SHP9500 has noticeably more impact and body [but it doesn't have the clarity, detail, speed, or smoothness of the HD700]). Should be getting a Schiit Loki coming in soon (trading for my JAZZ-ff amp) which I've been wanting to try out with the HD700 and M1060 since it was first announced.

Nov 4, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #7,979 of 9,324
My experience is just the opposite. With that said, my gear is completely different though.
Through my vintage Sansui, the bass impact and slam is jaw rattling. They hit extremely hard. Totally outperforms my cans that I just sold in that regard. The HE560's.
I don't remember my HE500's even hitting this hard.
Bass presence is pretty close to the 560's.

Hard to say why they're sounding thin to you. We all do hear things differently though.

Cheers

To me, my modded TH-X00PH is about the ideal sound and most anything else is bass light/thin sounding...though sometimes (not very often) I do wish for a tad less bass. Planars like the M1060 just don't have the visceral and lush bass of a dynamic driver, especially a Fostex Biodyna driver. The HD700 is fairly tight and punchy in bass, but just doesn't have the low end weight or sound pressure feel behind it like a TH-X00, especially in regards to sub-bass. I also listen at what most consider low levels... usually no more than ~75dB average.

The Gustard gear is definitely a better match for the HD700 than Schiit gear when it comes to smoothness, detail, and bass impact. I have been wondering if a tube amp (Bottlehead S.E.X. 3.0 with C4S upgrade) would be an improvement for getting more weight in the lowend... really want to try one out as I have zero experience with tube amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back