Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Mar 8, 2017 at 6:10 PM Post #7,562 of 9,320
Yeah,I used Audeze deckard and JDS the element,then i tried tube amp,borrowed it from a friend,That didn't help. I would say it's still a great can though,just not for vocal
Just because it's a tube amp doesn't mean it's warm. The Valhalla 2 with stock tubes was much brighter than my Liquid Carbon.

Mar 8, 2017 at 9:18 PM Post #7,564 of 9,320
  Yeah,I used Audeze deckard and JDS the element,then i tried tube amp,borrowed it from a friend,That didn't help. I would say it's still a great can though,just not for vocal

As the other poster noted all tube amps are not warm, the Valhalla2 with stock tubes is one of them, closer to neutral bright with stock tubes.  I didn't think the Element was a good pairing with the HD700 and most of my headphones when I borrowed a friends one for a few weeks, it still has the sound signature of the O2, thin and harsh with most of my headphones.  Haven't tried the Deckard but since its designed for pairing with planar headphones I would think its not an amp I would chose for higher impedance headphones like the HD700 or HD800.

I can see the HD700 not being great for vocals since the mids are a little recessed.

Mar 8, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #7,565 of 9,320
  I can confirm that a warm sounding amp helps a lot. I use a Proton 900 with very good results. It is a warm sounding solid state preamp with built-in headphone amp.

Little Dot MK2 here with the warmest Mullards in the Little Dot thread.

I gotta say, I am a big big fan of this combo.

Mar 10, 2017 at 2:03 AM Post #7,569 of 9,320
  One thing I do is test things out with an album I know is ear-piercing. In this case, some lo-fi black metal. The result? A damn fine experience. Not too sharp at all.

Yes. For me the sound is still very clear and balanced but with no edge. I think a lot of folk see the LD II amps as tubes on a budget. Which to be fair they are.. But in all seriousness, you have to spend 10 times the amount to get to the next level in SQ. 

Feed the LDII with a quality dac and you have a fantastic sound for the HD700. 

Mar 10, 2017 at 5:31 AM Post #7,570 of 9,320
  Yes. For me the sound is still very clear and balanced but with no edge. I think a lot of folk see the LD II amps as tubes on a budget. Which to be fair they are.. But in all seriousness, you have to spend 10 times the amount to get to the next level in SQ. 

Feed the LDII with a quality dac and you have a fantastic sound for the HD700. 

a little exaggeration here? ten time the price of the LD mk2 is $1800 and there are quite a few amps in this price range that I've heard that will better the LD MK2, but for under $400 the LD Mk2 is looking really good.

Mar 10, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #7,572 of 9,320
a little exaggeration here? ten time the price of the LD mk2 is $1800 and there are quite a few amps in this price range that I've heard that will better the LD MK2, but for under $400 the LD Mk2 is looking really good.

Haha maybe just a little :) only in my experience most tube amps in the below high end bracket are mostly tube dependant and you need to be spending above the £1000 mark to hear a worthwhile difference. U can get the ld mkll for around £100 in the uk so thats why I said ten times more. But we must also consider the relevance here and the hp matching that we are talking about.

Mar 10, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #7,573 of 9,320

I'd argue even under $500 for tubes the MK2 could hang with the best. But really, if you have $1500 handy I'd heavily argue that instead of spending $400 on the 700 and $1100 on a top end amp, spending $150 on the MK2 and then the remaining $1350 on some TOTL cans would do you better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back