Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Jun 1, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #4,096 of 9,326
I said for gaming, the STX is ok. When gaming I am not too critical about the sound.

Well you probably use Dolby Headphones feature so I bet that you do care about how stuff sounds.

I tried it and hated it sounds unrealistic.

Jun 1, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #4,097 of 9,326
Well you probably use Dolby Headphones feature so I bet that you do care about how stuff sounds.

I tried it and hated it sounds unrealistic.

No problem here with Dolby. Which games do you play?

Jun 1, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #4,098 of 9,326
No problem here with Dolby. Which games do you play?

I used to use the Asus Xonar Essence STX from the very start, was the first real audiophile device after HD700 (as a DAC/Amp thing) and I'm not saying it's complete trash, I'm just saying that you can do with better, and certainly you'd have to be looking on the higher end to get better performance, but for example with my LCD-3C's (previously before RMA) it couldn't give me enough amplification, sure it was plenty loud, but it was flat without any dynamics. Though to compare LCD-3C and HD700 which have different specifications for efficiency for sure they're different.

On the HD700 it was also loud and clear but when I switched to Lyr it tamed the high sibilance much better than what it was directly from the card, and it was much more dynamic for both headphones.

Again, STX is an excellent card if you really don't want to get deep into the hobby, but there are MUCH better options if you do decide to go higher end.

Jun 1, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #4,099 of 9,326
If you think that all an amp does is amplify the signal so that you can hear louder than you're mighty wrong.

It iz supposed to amplify all of the signal with all frequencies in it and not give our any noise.

That's not something the STX can do well like a better amplifier.

Errr, it makes it louder. I'm assuming for all the but the most obtuse of people that it'll include amplifying it linearly. Why are you trying to pick a fight?

Jun 1, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #4,100 of 9,326
  Errr, it makes it louder. I'm assuming for all the but the most obtuse of people that it'll include amplifying it linearly. Why are you trying to pick a fight?

I'm not trying to pick a fight, I'm just trying to tell people that if they want HD700 to sound its potential, there are better amplifiers.

Based on your amp/dac, we already know your opinion on the matter.

Jun 1, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #4,101 of 9,326

I'm not trying to pick a fight, I'm just trying to tell people that if they want HD700 to sound its potential, there are better amplifiers.

Based on your amp/dac, we already know your opinion on the matter.

Nope, I like the WA7 on it more than the O2/ODAC, but I won't be the first to acknowledge that the 'tube' sound is going to be off at times. Also, speak for yourself: no need to proclaim it as truth.

Jun 1, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #4,102 of 9,326
  Nope, I like the WA7 on it more than the O2/ODAC, but I won't be the first to acknowledge that the 'tube' sound is going to be off at times. Also, speak for yourself: no need to proclaim it as truth.

I'm on a solid state amp right now, but if that "tube sound" that you're looking for, then you'd have trouble figuring out which of the two (Master 9 or Lyr) is the tube amp, yet, Master 9 is considered a TOTL and Reference amp (Just look at that Italian person - fradoca: http://www.head-fi.org/t/692232/audio-gd-master-9/930#post_11478432 )

I'm not saying that Master 9 is tubey, I'm just saying that it does the job that  tube amps are supposed to do to headphones like HD700/HD800 much better than a tube amp :p I mean taming sibilance and treble harshness.

O2/ODAC amp/dac are considered good, just like STX, but in terms of specifications they are considered just as much reference like my setup. Myself, I'm a audiophool who is proud to be, just like Michael Fremer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JxxJb0yZ9U

Jun 1, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #4,103 of 9,326

Man, I had the exact opposite reaction. I was shocked by how much I disliked the sound, build quality, and fit of the HE-400.

I'm interested in trying the HD-700 now that the price has dropped so much. My only concern is the size of the HD-700, since my ears already make contact with the inside of the HD-600 and HD-650. The AT M-50x is actually an on-ear for me, lol. 

That was the reaction I expected to have lol...

The HD700s are very comfy....the only thing that bugged me (and it's a small concern) was that the plastic on the ear cups extend below the pads a little, and sometimes it was uncomfortable when I turned my head or in a reclining position. Beyond that, I felt they were on par with my T1s in terms of comfort (the T1s are my standard in that department). 

Jun 2, 2015 at 11:33 PM Post #4,104 of 9,326
I can honestly say the HD 700's are THE most comfortable headphones I have ever worn, and that includes the HD 598, 600, and 650. At their current price point, I think they are an excellent value for someone wanting more sound stage and detail than the HE 500's. Surprisingly, it has EXCELLENT top quality bass for what is largely considered a mid-fi headphone. I prefer the bass presentation on the HD 700 over many TOTL cans including the HD 800 and the LCD 2F.

Jun 2, 2015 at 11:41 PM Post #4,105 of 9,326
I can honestly say the HD 700's are THE most comfortable headphones I have ever worn, and that includes the HD 598, 600, and 650. At their current price point, I think they are an excellent value for someone wanting more sound stage and detail than the HE 500's. Surprisingly, it has EXCELLENT top quality bass for what is largely considered a mid-fi headphone. I prefer the bass presentation on the HD 700 over many TOTL cans including the HD 800 and the LCD 2F.

Couldn't agree more. Although considered mid-fi, it's right up there with the best.

Jun 3, 2015 at 12:16 AM Post #4,106 of 9,326
Couldn't agree more. Although considered mid-fi, it's right up there with the best.

I meant mostly in the bass department. The bass is hard, tight, and not overpowering. Very similar to the HD 800 bass but with a tad more presence, albeit in a healthy amount. The HD 700 bass is top notch IMO. Compared to Stax and good HD 800 setups it lacks detail and mids, also the treble is a bit more problematic too. In general, the ceiling is much higher on true hi-fi headphones, but the HD 700 still has some of their strengths (amazing bass, transparency, detailed) without one of their weaknesses (hard to drive). This is of coarse my opinion and your mileage may vary.

Jun 3, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #4,107 of 9,326
My 700's Will be here friday! 
darthsmile.gif

Jun 3, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #4,109 of 9,326

If its good, ... well it cant be called mid fi.

700 is simply not a mid fi can. i have not heard any other flagship, still can tell this is high end.

to my ears my akg k550 is midfi. hd650, akg q701 are mid fi.

Exactly, we can all argue over the subtitles of our favorite phones but in my experience, the HD700 is as good as any of the flagships, it all comes down to personal taste at this level.  I have owned many and heard almost all the current flagships and they all sound quite different so will appeal to each person in a different way.  In my system, the HD700 hits all the right buttons for me at this time.  The midrange especially is incredibly natural sounding and non-fatiguing and as I've said before, no treble spikes noticed.

Jun 3, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #4,110 of 9,326
Hello Everyone, This is my first post on Head-Fi.

I am looking for a Desktop AMP/DAC  which would pair well with my HD-700. Budget is around $300. Current contenders are:

1) Audio-GD-NFB 15.32
2) O2/Odac
3) Matrix M-Stage-HPA2.

I don't have any way of auditioning these and hence would be making a decision based on your suggestions. Which one of these would pair the best with the HD-700? Or are there any other better options for the HD-700 at the $300 price point?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back