Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Jan 29, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #286 of 9,326
Quote:

How about compared to the HD600s?

I don't have the 600s. Perhaps I should grab a few more Senns to compare. 
size]

Jan 29, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #287 of 9,326
I have the 600s, the 700s, and 800s.  They get plugged into a DNA Sonett on its low output impedance setting, which is 28 ohms.  It's a natural progression of more clarity across the board as you go up the ladder.  Soundstage gets wider, also.  I should mention that I've Anax modded both the 700 and 800, and though I find the changes minor, they're audible and preferred.  I go back and forth with the ear cup foams for the 600s.  Removing them is almost like a partial step towards the 700s, but sometimes I like the little bit smoother sound with the foams in place.  And that being said, going in the other direction, I gotta say the 600s are great.  They do it all quite well.  The 700s bridge the gap nicely, they can be smooth but also do that almost clinical thing the 800s can do.  A good blend between audiophile and music lover.

Jan 30, 2013 at 4:47 AM Post #288 of 9,326
Quote:
The HD700s on great gear are a significant step up from the HD650s to my ears. There is MUCH more clarity, the bass is not muddy (think "faster" bass) and more accurate than the HD650s. The 650 "veil" is probably more noticeable going on the comparison between these 2 headphones than others. The 650 sounds a bit more "fuller" as if there's added bloom to the sound whereas the 700s veer on the side of neutral a little bit more. HD800s, for the month I had it, are definitely the neutral king and I'll need to borrow it from my friend to do a proper comparison across the 3 top headphones of Sennheiser's dynamic can range.

There's just so much goodness going right on the HD700s that it's very hard to find fault in the flaws that some have mentioned.

just what I thought when I compared the 700 to my old 650s. 650s are staying in the box since then 
smile.gif

the comparison u mentioned would be nice!

Feb 1, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #290 of 9,326
Congrats!  It's an OK combo and I use it around the house when I'm not at my main rig.  There is now way you'll be getting the HD700 full potential out of the DF.  The HD700 certainly scales to a better amp and I love it with my Bifrost/Lyr especially with bass, dynamics and impact.  Once you get them, definitely run the combo and let them burn in. The HD700 took a long time to smooth out. Absolutely love it now.

Quote:
I recently ordered HD700s and a Dragonfly.

Will report back with impressions, hopefully around Wednesday of next week.

Feb 1, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #292 of 9,326
Just to help you imagine the setup..

Feb 1, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #294 of 9,326
In a picture taking mood.. 
bigsmile_face.gif
 You'll love it with the Schiit!! 
L3000.gif

Feb 2, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #296 of 9,326
It would be interesting to do a comparison between the HD 700 and hifiman HE 500. To be honest I really had both of them and prefer the HE 500. The main reason was the over the top treble in HD 700. All I could here in the music was the treble. It is certainly not a nutral headphone. It fact I would go as far as saying that it is a step down from the HD 650. I own the HD 650 and never heard any veil the soundstage is a bit cramped but the distinction between the instruments and their placement on the stage is awesome. 

Feb 2, 2013 at 12:33 AM Post #297 of 9,326
Quote:
It would be interesting to do a comparison between the HD 700 and hifiman HE 500. To be honest I really had both of them and prefer the HE 500. The main reason was the over the top treble in HD 700. All I could here in the music was the treble. It is certainly not a nutral headphone. It fact I would go as far as saying that it is a step down from the HD 650. I own the HD 650 and never heard any veil the soundstage is a bit cramped but the distinction between the instruments and their placement on the stage is awesome. 

I have seen the charts and will have to decide for myself if the treble is too much after a nice break-in period.

That said, if it is too much, I am not opposed to using an equalizer to bring them into line a little... based on the charts it should be fairly straightforward.

Feb 4, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #298 of 9,326
has anyone listen to the HD700 on both the Lyr and the Woo Audio WA2/WA6(SE) or Centrance Dacmini and would be able to compare two or more of these amps and their synergy with the hd700, as these are the amp i am interested in for when i get my HD700.

Feb 4, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #299 of 9,326
I used to own the Lyr and currently own the WA2.  I have listened extensively to the HD700's on both
and find I have a clear preference for the Woo.  Both drive the cans well and have more than adequate
power.  The WA2 is, to my ears, a better match with the HD700, maintaining the wonderful soundstage
and adding a bit of liquidity to the sound that helps with the 6k peak in response on the cans.
YMMV,
Hibuck....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back